Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:28 AM

301 posts, read 1,326,921 times

Advertisements

Hello

Just wondering, are these schools roughly on the same plane when it comes to academic excellence?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,147,187 times
Uh NO!

Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 PM

301 posts, read 1,326,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Uh NO!
Okay, thanks. If you could offer more details, I would appreciate it.

I was just thinking that, for example, U of Michigan and Michigan State are roughly on par (right?), so I thought the same might be true for these Indiana schools.

The reason I ask is because there's a school in Canada where I reside that offers a joint BSC degree with Indiana State. I was just wondering how it measured up with the more prestigious University of Indiana.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM

934 posts, read 1,439,961 times
Hello!

I'm actually new to Indiana myself. I came here for school. Right now I am attending IUPUI which is a joint campus venture between Indiana University & Purdue at Indianapolis. Indiana has great schools (and great prices). The top three I believe would be Notre Dame, IU, and Purdue. There are a few great private colleges like Indianapolis University and Butler, and state-run like Ball State.

Wiki seems to think highly of Indiana State University, but honestly I haven't heard much about it. It seems like a nice college. My guess would be is that it has a good reputation, but just not the notoriety of the top 3 I mentioned. Here is a ranking of Indiana colleges (I'm not sure of the criteria for ranking, so you might want to research).

Indiana University Rankings

Ask away! I'll try to answer.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 07-20-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
If you ask a U of M grad if they are on par with MSU, you will get a wolverine sized boot in the rear end.

ISU is the forgotten state school and I think it's their own fault. They have good programs, but they aren't good about marketing their strengths.

IU and Purdue, given that they are Big 10 schools, have a much more national reputation that ISU doesn't have. IU has more professional schools as well (Medicine and Law). Don't forget, ISU started out as a teacher's college.

I guess it would depend on the program you wish to study and how much you can afford. I believe ISU is cheaper than IU.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,601,367 times
If you know what you want to study, you might check with the job networks now to see if where your degree is from will make a difference. In some cases, just having a BA/BS from a state school is fine. In others, being from ___ (fill in the blank) opens doors, either because the program is well respected or employers are from those schools and hire grads from there. There are also a few colleges that have a very bad rep, so it's not good to be from there. I won't name names, but anything labeled "a party school" can be problematic.

As for the U of M / MSU question, MSU is originally a land-grant ag college. Getting a degree in soil or crop science from there carries more weight than getting it from U of M (if they had that program). Otherwise, the U of M name garners more respect overall in more corners. One would find that out from talking with potential employers.

If I were sending a youngster to school right now, I would aim for a lower cost state college, first doing two years in a community college (after checking to see that **all** classes will transfer). The cost of higher ed doesn't justify certain degrees these days, in my opinion, and for something like becoming a high school math teacher, Indiana State would be just fine and cheaper than U of I.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:41 PM

37 posts, read 75,073 times
Having attended ISU, it always amazes me how many citizens of Indiana don't know it exists. In fact, it is more well known abroad than it is in its own state. Most of the student population seems to come from the immediate Terre Haute/Southern Illinois area or the other side of the planet. Every time I was home from college (originally from northern Indiana) and would tell someone I went to ISU, they would assume I meant IU Bloomington. They were either disappointed or completely confused when I explained that I went to Indiana STATE University. Hell, a lot of people think Larry Bird went to IU. It also frustrates me (and every other ISU alum that lives in Indy) that the Indianapolis Star doesn't list anything to do with ISU in the sports section and when they do, it is usually grouped in with the liberal arts colleges.

ISU is an outstanding school for anyone going into education, music education, music/business, avionics, package design, criminology, insurance, physical therapy, and sports medicine. They are really good at several other things, but the strengths are what I listed. The school is an excellent value and the education I received was top notch. This is confirmed every time I explain something to a Ball State graduate....

Old 07-22-2012, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 77,533 times
ArthurIndy,

No offense but you are a little to high on ISU.

Sure, maybe 50 years ago ISU was okay in Education but to think that IU and ISU are even in the same ballpark is crazy.

IU has one of the 20 best Education programs in the entire country. Their Elementary Education program is one of the top 10 in the country. If you go to ISU for an education degree you will highly regret it.

I've heard to many horror stories from people that have attended and graduated from ISU. Sure, if it was only 2-3 then you don't pay attention. When it's 30-40 then yeah you listen.

IU isn't much more cost wise then ISU and it will pay off in the long run.

I don't see many Teachers getting jobs with a degree from ISU, I'm just saying.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,715,196 times
Employers seem to gravitate toward graduates of the schools they went to. There are more management professionals from IU than ISU ...

Old 07-24-2012, 06:18 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,275,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Hello

Just wondering, are these schools roughly on the same plane when it comes to academic excellence?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestman View Post
Okay, thanks. If you could offer more details, I would appreciate it.

I was just thinking that, for example, U of Michigan and Michigan State are roughly on par (right?), so I thought the same might be true for these Indiana schools.

The reason I ask is because there's a school in Canada where I reside that offers a joint BSC degree with Indiana State. I was just wondering how it measured up with the more prestigious University of Indiana.

Thanks!
It is called Indiana University, not University of Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana