Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
If he cuts taxes will the high schools have enough money for basketball?
He will provide a Chevy Uplamer to every resident of Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 01:52 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
one way to cut spending is eliminate Township level government.
This is 2012......... not 1850..........
Township level of government needs abolished and moved to the county to keep up with the modern times.
Townships are not funded by state income taxes. If you had ever received a property tax bill you would know this or any kind of tax bill for that matter you might know this.

Townships are primarily funded by general property taxes.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 PM

196 posts, read 696,710 times
On the other hand K-12 is funded about 1/2 through property taxes and about 1/2 through the state general fund. The state's funding of higher ed comes totally through the general fund.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:09 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Townships are not funded by state income taxes. If you had ever received a property tax bill you would know this or any kind of tax bill for that matter you might know this.

Townships are primarily funded by general property taxes.
well regardless abolish them and use that money for the school general fund.
Township level governments are just government waste these days.

Old 08-01-2012, 03:26 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
well regardless abolish them and use that money for the school general fund.
Township level governments are just government waste these days.
Let's abolish counties instead.

Old 08-01-2012, 04:30 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,553 times
Republicans: Just keep cutting taxes while our infrastructure crumbles and gets sold to the highest bidder...

Old 08-01-2012, 05:27 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
BR-you obviously have very little knowledge of the role township trustees play in small communities and in large. The money received by the townships goes towards fire protection, poor relief, burials, and a host of other functions. My township has two buildings used for voting and other functions. One of these buildings is on the historic registry I believe. It has also saved an old school and rents it out for community events. The township also owns a park that is used by people throughout the county.

Getting rid of the townships is not necessarily a money saving venture. People will still need fire protection, poor relief, parks and buildings will still need to be maintained, etc.

The township trustee is often one of the few government officials people actually can call and get an answer. I can tell you from personal experience that my county officials had no interest in hearing from me or my neighbors regarding an issue nearby. The trustee on the other hand was well aware of the issue and offered her best advice to fix it. She also offered up some additional facts that helped us in approaching the uninterested county. A number of years ago she would have been able to fix it herself, but the county took over that function. My township trustee knows just about every one in the township. If I was to call her tomorrow she would definitely know who I am.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,850,819 times
[quote=Broadrippleguy;25426474]Mike Pence calls for 10% cut in Indiana's individual income tax rate | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Lets go Mike Pence!
cant wait for him to be our governor.[/QUO

Is it true that Mike Pence has never passed a bill in his 12 years in congress? And that he has missed 86% of committee votes in 2012?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:21 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,510,017 times
[quote=missik999;25465464]
Quote:
Mike Pence calls for 10% cut in Indiana's individual income tax rate | Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

Lets go Mike Pence!
cant wait for him to be our governor.[/QUO

Is it true that Mike Pence has never passed a bill in his 12 years in congress? And that he has missed 86% of committee votes in 2012?
hell no.
Democrats continue to make stuff up about him.
common sense is all you need to see this is false.
and committee votes dont pass laws. house votes do.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:59 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,075,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
This man will never get my vote. He is an ideologue in my opinion. The last thing we need in this country and state right now are more ideologues in positions of power. The lack of compromise is at the core of the problems our country and state face right now.
Why is it always that in order to have "compromise," it means taking money from some and giving it to others. Why can't the "compromise" be to spend less and have no tax hikes, or even give taxpaying citizens a few bucks back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
If he cuts taxes will the high schools have enough money for basketball?
Some will, some won't. We are likely going to move into an era where anything outside of education is 100% pay-to-play. There is only so much to spread around, and things like millions for swimming pools for both the school(s) and the city are examples of duplicate, wasteful spending. If parents want their kids in sports, they can pull out their cash and buy some land, paint football or soccer lines, and let the kids play. If public universities want to pay athletic coaches millions, sit on billions in the bank, and still raise tuition year after year for the offspring of in-state taxpayers, maybe it is time we cut them loose as well?

There is only so much taxation the various groups of the productive classes will take until they finally just give up and join the non-producers and/or non-payer groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana