Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,034,673 times

Advertisements

I haven't had any since I've been up in Ft. Wayne.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:11 AM

618 posts, read 1,611,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
by washington? where at? I'm assuming not in washington?

It can't possible be worse in Indiana as it is here in Washington. Rain 80% of the year...clouds, gloom and mass over-population/horrible traffic. We may not get tornadoes or life threatening stuff like that...but the rest of it just sucks

Well, we were planning on moving to northern idaho/eastern washington until we heard of the really bad meth problem. Indiana does have a drug problem, but we were hoping to escape it, unfortunately it looks like all of the u.s. is going downhill.

I would gladly take rain all year than to have horrible humidity, tornadoes, flash flooding, cold, icky snowy winters, freezing rain, lotsa fog, horrible crime, and a drug problem, like Indiana has.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:39 AM
SJU

131 posts, read 723,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldpolkadots View Post
I would gladly take rain all year than to have horrible humidity, tornadoes, flash flooding, cold, icky snowy winters, freezing rain, lotsa fog, horrible crime, and a drug problem, like Indiana has.
HUH? Exactly what part of Indiana have you lived in?? You paint such a lovely picture.

I love it here, and am happily raising my kids here without reserve.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJU View Post
HUH? Exactly what part of Indiana have you lived in?? You paint such a lovely picture.

I love it here, and am happily raising my kids here without reserve.

Really? Well, I'm not sure where you're located, but I've lived between South Bend and Michigan City for over 20 years now.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:35 AM

22 posts, read 68,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post

by washington? where at? I'm assuming not in washington?

It can't possible be worse in Indiana as it is here in Washington.

Rain 80% of the year...clouds, gloom and mass over-population/horrible traffic. We may not get tornadoes or life threatening stuff like that...but the rest of it just sucks
First off the above statement is not accurate. It is not gloomy 80% of the year in Washington State. They are referring to Western Washington. Eastern Washington and the Columbia Basin is a windswept desert. It receives very little precipitation throughout the year along with 300 days of sunshine. Very few trees are in the basin and beautiful canyons can be found along the Columbia River. Very hot summers (95-110)and cold winters provide a remarkable contrast to Western Washington's climate and geography. Yakima for instance only receives 8 inches a rain a year. The population centers are on the west side so this is where Washington gets its rainy reputation. However, the dry section of the state is larger than wet side. Thought I would clarify this.

Since you are coming from Washington State,(assuming not from DC) you will find that thunderstorms are more frequent in the spring with some storms having cloud to ground lightening, hail and straight line winds in the stronger ones. The thunderstorms in Washington are less frequent and are much weaker if and when they ever happen.

I would not worry about tornadoes if you are moving to Indiana. Destructive outbreaks are not common. Here are some of the more intense ones that have hit the state:

April 13, 1852: New Harmony - 16 killed
May 14, 1886: Anderson - 43 killed
March 23, 1913: Terre Haute - 21 killed
March 11, 1917: New Castle - 21 killed
March 23, 1917: New Albany - 45 killed
March 28, 1920: Allen through Wayne counties - 39 killed by three tornadoes
April 17, 1922: Warren through Delaware counties - 14 killed
March 18, 1925: "Tri-State Tornado", Posey, Gibson and Pike counties - 74killed
March 26, 1948: Coatesville destroyed - 20 killed
May 21, 1949: Sullivan and Clay counties - 14 killed
April 11, 1965: "Palm Sunday Outbreak", 11 tornadoes, 20 counties - 137 killed
April 3, 1974: "Super Outbreak", 21 tornadoes hit 39 counties - 47 killed
June 2, 1990: 37 tornadoes hit 31 counties - 8 killed
Nov. 7, 2005: Vanderburgh and Warrick counties - 22 killed

Kansas and Oklahoma have a higher rate of Tornado activity than Indiana does so you should not let this detour you from making a move. When severe weather happens they do a good job of letting you know. If you live in Western Washington and move to Indiana you will have four seasons!

Oh yeah before I forget you should check out the Indiana Dunes on the Lake Michigan shoreline. Also check out Turkey Run State Park. Especially in the autumn months. Its very beautiful.

Good luck with you move!

Old 10-13-2007, 08:00 PM

14 posts, read 50,419 times
OKAY- not sure where the heck you all live at in indiana, but i have lived in indiana my entire life- and there has been SOOOO many tornado warnings and sooo many times that we've had to go to my grandma's house to her basement because of the weather!!! You're crazy!!! (no offense!)

right now I live in southern indiana, better known as "kentuckiana" but even when i lived in northern bloomington- anytime a storm hit, it ALWAYS went through there!!

now- I definitely wouldn't let the weather here in indiana keep you away- b/c especially if you have a crawlspace/basement, then you'll be fine!!! If not, then go to the middle of your house, or the bathroom, somewhere with no outside walls or windows!!!

by the way, "goldpolkadots" I say that if you don't like indiana you should move!! I hate it when people bash indiana!! Try moving to Texas or Florida and it's going to be a LOT more humid there!! AND- this year was a big exception, b/c we had the hottest August we've had since the 1930's!!! Its normally not this hot!!! AND- at least we get the best of 4 seasons- we get snow (a blast for children to play in), we get good summers (for boating, swimming, etc.), we have a beautiful fall time (leaves changing colors), and our spring is wonderful too!!! SO- quit complaining- this is your state- you are a "hoosier" be proud or don't live here!! AND- I mean that as nicely as possible!!

Oh yeah- all of you who said that tornadoes were rare- do you not remember a couple years ago when one hit Evansville in November???????!!!! THAT'S CRAZY!! And also, do you not remember the horrible weather we had b/c of Hurricane Katrina? Anytime a really bad hurricane happens down south, we always have bad weather up here too! Overall though, Indiana is a great state- I say move here if that's what you want!!! Don't let weather stop you- just be aware!!

Old 10-14-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono11 View Post
OKAY- not sure where the heck you all live at in indiana, but i have lived in indiana my entire life- and there has been SOOOO many tornado warnings and sooo many times that we've had to go to my grandma's house to her basement because of the weather!!! You're crazy!!! (no offense!)

right now I live in southern indiana, better known as "kentuckiana" but even when i lived in northern bloomington- anytime a storm hit, it ALWAYS went through there!!

now- I definitely wouldn't let the weather here in indiana keep you away- b/c especially if you have a crawlspace/basement, then you'll be fine!!! If not, then go to the middle of your house, or the bathroom, somewhere with no outside walls or windows!!!

by the way, "goldpolkadots" I say that if you don't like indiana you should move!! I hate it when people bash indiana!! Try moving to Texas or Florida and it's going to be a LOT more humid there!! AND- this year was a big exception, b/c we had the hottest August we've had since the 1930's!!! Its normally not this hot!!! AND- at least we get the best of 4 seasons- we get snow (a blast for children to play in), we get good summers (for boating, swimming, etc.), we have a beautiful fall time (leaves changing colors), and our spring is wonderful too!!! SO- quit complaining- this is your state- you are a "hoosier" be proud or don't live here!! AND- I mean that as nicely as possible!!

Oh yeah- all of you who said that tornadoes were rare- do you not remember a couple years ago when one hit Evansville in November???????!!!! THAT'S CRAZY!! And also, do you not remember the horrible weather we had b/c of Hurricane Katrina? Anytime a really bad hurricane happens down south, we always have bad weather up here too! Overall though, Indiana is a great state- I say move here if that's what you want!!! Don't let weather stop you- just be aware!!

I agree with your post on tornadoes in Indiana...I have also lived in Indiana my whole life and have also experienced lotsa warnings and such.

& btw, I am planning on moving in less than a month or so, to out west. No need to bash my previous post. Just trying to give another opinion of Indiana. yikes

Old 10-14-2007, 10:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono11 View Post

Simmer down ... the folks are contemplating moving to Indiana from Washington, go back and read through the thread.

Tornados are rare. Yes, we remember the tragic storm in Evansville, but we also remember the Palm Sunday tornados in 65. Again, go back and read through this thread, a poster listed all the worst tornados previously.

I've said previously as well, don't let the threat of tornados prevent you from moving to this state.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:30 PM

14 posts, read 50,419 times
I have read through the thread. My biggest point is that tornadoes are not as rare as everyone thinks they are. And even if we don't have an ACTUAL tornado, the horrible weather we do have during tornado warnings can be enough to scare people who aren't used to bad weather. I am young and have seen plenty of tornado damage! I am even from a very small area- the list of tornadoes given previously are a list of the WORST tornadoes in indiana. just b/c people don't die in tornadoes we have, doesn't mean they can't cause a lot of damage otherwise. There have been LOTS more tornadoes than the ones on this list. Other than Kansas and a couple other states, the Midwest (Indiana) is known for having tornadoes. Im not being snippy about anything! I think, in fact, that I even put on my first post that I mean what i said as nice as could be! It just baffles me that you people think we have no tornadoes!!!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 AM

26 posts, read 172,323 times
I've lived in Indiana and Illinois for the past 43 years. I think I saw a funnel cloud once, but I'm not sure.

Sure, we get lots of scary / interesting weather in the spring and summer. But the actual incidence of severe wind damage to people and houses is actually quite rare. In the overall scheme of things, tornados or similar severe weather will have little impact on your life here. They're the boogeymen of the midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana