Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times

Advertisements

And I must be weird, because I love a storm...I love to see the energy in the sky.
I grew up in Ohio, and we had tornadoes come through all the time. Never had a problem.
The weather alert systems are good here and in Ohio. Ohio is the far end of Tornado Alley, so yes, Indiana is in it. But I would not let tornadoes keep you from moving here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 10:38 PM

11 posts, read 61,918 times
Our new custom home was completely destroyed in a tornado in Indianapolis March 31, 2006. They do happen. Get a home with a basement. It saved myself, my husband, and our then 16 mo old baby's life.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM

81 posts, read 398,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je,0701 View Post
Two "p"s. I live about 20 minutes N. of there and am about to drive down through on my way to my parent's in Akron. Only minor injuries and damage were reported. Not sure how bad it really was, but I'll find out in a little bit.

The storms formed a line from Southern Michigan down to Fulton County. Heard that there were tornadoes spotted in Michigan as well. And I missed a lot of the ALCS game because of it.
hehe, that's kind of funny. "only minor injuries and damage" makes it sound so casual...if my house or car got damaged because of weather, iId probably be freaking out and move right away.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM

81 posts, read 398,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
What's the matter? Isn't Washington pretty enough for ya?

oh my gosh, I want out of washington state so bad. :P

Old 01-28-2008, 07:21 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
hehe, that's kind of funny. "only minor injuries and damage" makes it sound so casual...if my house or car got damaged because of weather, iId probably be freaking out and move right away.
Perhaps you should just find a nice closet, lock yourself in it, and not let any of the big bad scary things of the outside world get in there and scare you. Good Lord, tornadoes happen in Indiana, just like they do in any other midwestern state, and southeastern state; and mid-atlantic state. The odds of being affected by one are slim; about the same as having your house leveled by an earthquake in Seattle. Seriously, if you plan on living in the lower 48, you are going to have to contend with some sort of threat from mother nature, be it earthquakes, tornadoes, floods, hurricanes, volcanoes, asteroids.....you get my point, right?

If your decision to move to Indiana hinges on whether or not you are going to be attacked by a tornado, you have your priorities out of whack.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 10,375 times
north does not mean better. we have had a tornado go through just this evening. but you have to look at it this way. one unlike earthquakes you do have some advance warning. two floods while they do happen are not frequent. tornados while they do happen so do earthquakes, grass fires, and floods which I believe is also possibility living in washington state. every part of this country has its dangers you just have to find the ones you can live with.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM

3 posts, read 10,375 times
I can agree with that. Indiana is not what I would call pretty. parts of brown county are but if you like corn fields then indiana might work but I am over corn and soy beans.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,035 times
Default Washington storms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
My wife and I have been considering moving to this state...but the tornado thing we read about is kind of scary. We live in Washington right now and we just don't get dangerous weather...so the idea of even a slim chance of being killed in a tornado is too much for us.

But I noticed that a lot of the tornado's happen to the south of Indiana...so does that mean tornado's never occur in the northern areas of Indiana?
Hello fellow Washingtonian! I moved from Snohomish County to eastern Indiana one year ago, and I must admit it is quite a new thing to adjust to 'dangerous' weather. My solution was getting a house with a storm cellar and moving to an area not known for frequent outbreaks. I travel for work, and was lucky enough to be in central Missouri when they had tornadoes. Delightful.

Washington, along with all other 49 states, does indeed get hit with tornadoes, although they are historically much less severe and very rare. I do recall waterspouts off Alki/West Seattle as well as an F0 touching down to the southeast of Everett in the past 5 years.

Plus two worth mentioning:

Local News | Tornado hits Vancouver area | Seattle Times Newspaper

and (scroll to #7 in the list):

National Weather Service - NWS Portland

True, it may not match the ferocity of the midwest storms, but they do exist in the NW.

What strikes me a bit funny is how my new husband's family get frightened at the mention of earthquakes lol (i kinda miss them)

Old 10-23-2008, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,526 times
hey u,
I live in Gas City, Indiana, and it is not usual to get a tornado. I live in the northern part of Indiana. We do have severe thunderstorms, but usually it is just a dark sky, and they freak ot over nothing. I have to admit we did have a pretty active season this year, 2008, but it wasn't bad. goldpolkadots is right, there is alot of the time warnings and watches on the t.v., but usally we never get anything. Where I live, we have had about, 3 tornadoes in the past 20 years. Marion, Indiana, in like 1965, they got about 5 in 1 day, but we haven't had anything like that since. But, do with this what you will.

P.S.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 11,526 times
hey u,
I live in Gas City, Indiana, and it is not usual to get a tornado. I live in the northern part of Indiana. We do have severe thunderstorms, but usually it is just a dark sky, and they freak out over nothing. I have to admit we did have a pretty active season this year, 2008, but it wasn't bad. goldpolkadots is right, there is alot of the time warnings and watches on the t.v., but usally we never get anything. Where I live, we have had about, 3 tornadoes in the past 20 years. Marion, Indiana, in like 1965, they got about 5 in 1 day, but we haven't had anything like that since. But, do with this what you will.

P.S. The south part does get more. Mostly around Terra Haute. And somethimes, rarely South Bend, which is way up north in Indiana, will get a tornado warning. Not very much goes on though. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana