Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,542 times

Advertisements

YEA! Grant County, where I live, gets alot of severe thunderstorms, and a few tornadoes. ECSPECIALLY IN 2008!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 09:54 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,065,976 times
For some maps of where historically twisters have traveled:

Indiana Tornadoes, 1950-2001
NWS Northern Indiana Tornado Maps and Data

And yea, I'm another goofy fool that loves severe weather - minus of course suffering/destruction
Can find me on roof tops and hills photo'ing the clouds, lightning, etc. Yea, real smart...

Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 PM

163 posts, read 418,959 times
Griffith, Indiana, which is 3 miles east of me, had a tornado August 5, 2008. About 30 homes had ripped off roofs, etc. It was an F2. There was widespread damage across the region in the way of trees down. We could hear limbs cracking everywhere. I never saw so much lightening. The lights went out and came back on over 40 times. It was wild. The same storm sent a rotation through downtown Chicago. I guess you would call it an F0?

I grew up in southern California, and even though I've lived here since 1969, bad storms still un-nerve me. My husband, who grew up here, hates the thought of an earthquake. I guess it's all about what you grow up with.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:29 PM

3 posts, read 8,313 times
i had to add to this post. i came across the site and forum and thought i would join. i found it oddly humorous that it is mentioned that indiana hasn't had a tornado in years, then poof in mid-thread we get an f3 in nappanee. while true, there was tons of damage with companies closing and lots of job loss, one thing wasn't mentioned. here in northern indiana, while i'm not from here, i appreciate this, there is a close family feel. after the tornado hit my town just a couple blocks north of me, the community reacted quickly. sirens do go off and the area was evacuated in a short time. two days later, over 3,000 people poured into nappanee to help clean up and some had to be turned away. i agree with those that say no matter where you are are, there is always the possibility of disasters. i lived in southern rural minnesota and you learned to look at the sky for tornado signs and prepare. you should always be aware of what "could" happen and be prepared to take care of yourself and then your community. i'm beginning to like it here

Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrosefashions View Post
i had to add to this post. i came across the site and forum and thought i would join. i found it oddly humorous that it is mentioned that indiana hasn't had a tornado in years, then poof in mid-thread we get an f3 in nappanee. while true, there was tons of damage with companies closing and lots of job loss, one thing wasn't mentioned. here in northern indiana, while i'm not from here, i appreciate this, there is a close family feel. after the tornado hit my town just a couple blocks north of me, the community reacted quickly. sirens do go off and the area was evacuated in a short time. two days later, over 3,000 people poured into nappanee to help clean up and some had to be turned away. i agree with those that say no matter where you are are, there is always the possibility of disasters. i lived in southern rural minnesota and you learned to look at the sky for tornado signs and prepare. you should always be aware of what "could" happen and be prepared to take care of yourself and then your community. i'm beginning to like it here
And you guys got a great DQ Grill and Chill out of it too!!!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:00 AM

8 posts, read 26,404 times
Mooresville has it's share of severe weather. We've had tornadoes, we've had high winds, we've had major thunderstorms. I've lived in Indiana all my life. And they still scare the holy you know whats out of me. Besides 1996 and 2002 I really do think 2008 has been a pretty bad year. 96 and 02 I lived in a trailer park. So I scared ****less. Now I live in a house. Not as good as I would like it. But better than a trailer. I live with my mother and grandfather. We don't have a basement or a shelter area. We just have to tough it out. I'm not sure what the biggest tornado to hit Indiana was. But it's something we do have. Not as much as the central states. But a decent amount. I hate them!

Old 06-07-2010, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 6,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
My wife and I have been considering moving to this state...but the tornado thing we read about is kind of scary. We live in Washington right now and we just don't get dangerous weather...so the idea of even a slim chance of being killed in a tornado is too much for us.

But I noticed that a lot of the tornado's happen to the south of Indiana...so does that mean tornado's never occur in the northern areas of Indiana?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<
Somewhere near Indianapolis or southern Indiana (near Louisville KY)
are the ONLY places I'd move in this state.
Did you know that Indiana ranks #1 for tornado risks in the nation !!??
really surprised me..check out:

The Disaster Center Risk of Tornado by State

I think their findings are a joke, but you need to read the data, their
ratings are based on several things, not just who has the most tornados.
The "real" tornado alley are states like: Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas,
Nebraska

Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 10,223 times
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

go to this link and enter a city and then click "tornado" on the right and it will give you all Tornado history with-in 100mi.
I too was concerned as I am moving to ANDERSON, In. at the end of the month, and this was VERY helpful.

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:58 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM

163 posts, read 418,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuscorayj View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

go to this link and enter a city and then click "tornado" on the right and it will give you all Tornado history with-in 100mi.
I too was concerned as I am moving to ANDERSON, In. at the end of the month, and this was VERY helpful.
Thanks for the great link! Unfortunately I don't think you will find any place in Indiana that rates better than a "D" for tornadoes. They are gathering data within a 100 mile radius. I hate tornadoes. I grew up in southern California. My husband grew up here. He runs to the window to look while I cower in a closet in tears. Pitiful, I know...

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Stuff happens, but I have to say, I've lived in areas prone to tornadic activity for 38 years of my life. I've never had a tornado threaten my person or property. Yes, they do happen, but it's not as is they're as common as rainfall. I always crack up at folks, especially those from the West, who express concern about tornadoes when considering a move in this direction. Should I use earthquakes (and in the case of Washington State, Mt. St. Helens), as an excuse not to move out there??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana