Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 550,480 times

Advertisements

Hello, my old car just hit 300,000 miles and although its in ok condition, taking risk can have consequences.

I'm budgeting $15,000 cash and decided I do not want a car loan... great, but I'm puzzled by the lack of detailed information on how to buy a car from a private seller; I've always purchased from dealerships in the past, but I've seen some clean cars being sold from private sellers.

Can you guys and galls share your experiences with car buying?

I would like a step-by-step guide... as far as I assume:

1) The seller signs and dates the title
2) The buyer (me) signs and dates the title under the buyer section
3) Fill out the Bill of Sale (both seller and buyer)
4) Fill out the Odometer Disclosure Statement (both seller and buyer)
5) The seller has the right to remove the license plates from the vehicle
6) Title and register the vehicle - it is the buyers (me) responsibility to obtain a new title and register the vehicle. "If you have recently purchased a vehicle with an Indiana title you must title it in your own name within 31 days."
In order to register & title the vehicle for the first time, you must visit a license branch/BMV. You need to provide proof of insurance and proof of your SS number.

That is all fine and dandy, but it leaves me with some questions and the IN.gov BMV website isn't all that great.

How can I drive the car without a license plate?
Can I get a temporary plate or Trip/Travel permit? Is it legal to drive the car without plates so long as I have a signed title and bill-of-sell? I know some states allow a grace period of driving without plates (Michigan for example allows 3 days), but I can't find any information on the IN BMV website. Keep in mind I may need to drive the car without plates to the BMV branch itself.

Insurance...
Well, I need proof of insurance to register the car. I'm wondering if my existing policy will temporarily cover my car purchase. I know I know, I should contact my insurance provider (USAA), but I noticed other insurance companies have this in writing on their website... USAA is very secretive and doesn't disclose much information online. Regardless, I will contact an USAA agent. Also, getting pulled over I will want coverage... and forbid I get into an accident.

Then there are out of state purchases... since I live in south-east Indiana I will consider purchasing a car in Kentucky or Ohio...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:08 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,050,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn Buck View Post
How can I drive the car without a license plate?
Can I get a temporary plate or Trip/Travel permit? Is it legal to drive the car without plates so long as I have a signed title and bill-of-sell? I know some states allow a grace period of driving without plates (Michigan for example allows 3 days), but I can't find any information on the IN BMV website. Keep in mind I may need to drive the car without plates to the BMV branch itself.
You need to use your old plate. The way it should work is that you bring your old plate and registration with you to the deal. Once the deal is made, put your old plate on the vehicle. You will need to carry with you the old registration with your name and a bill of sale that matches your name. You can use the old plate for 31 days. You aren't supposed to use the plate for both vehicles though, so if you plan on keeping your current car, you need to get to the BMV as quick as possible to get a plate. I would also pay for a new, clean title. Don't keep the title in the vehicle if you decide to drive it with the old plate. I would suggest keeping a copy of the title though (front and back).

Quote:
Well, I need proof of insurance to register the car. I'm wondering if my existing policy will temporarily cover my car purchase. I know I know, I should contact my insurance provider (USAA), but I noticed other insurance companies have this in writing on their website... USAA is very secretive and doesn't disclose much information online. Regardless, I will contact an USAA agent. Also, getting pulled over I will want coverage... and forbid I get into an accident.
Yes, contact your insurance company. Most cover a newer vehicle for a week or two after purchase.

Quote:
Then there are out of state purchases... since I live in south-east Indiana I will consider purchasing a car in Kentucky or Ohio...
Out of state purchases are no different when it comes to insurance and using your old plate. The only difference is that when you go to apply for a new title and switch over the registration (or get new plates), they BMV won't do anything until you get what is called a VIN inspection or VIN check. There is a specific form which can be found on this page:

BMV: Title Forms

Old 08-20-2015, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 187,982 times
dear sir
i am buying ind no plate
my shop in gurgaon hr

Old 11-08-2015, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 179,742 times
I bought a car from an auction in Kentucky with no tags on it and I'm waiting on the title in the mail how do I get temporary tag or drive the vehicle

Old 11-09-2015, 07:30 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaegelbilly1515 View Post
I bought a car from an auction in Kentucky with no tags on it and I'm waiting on the title in the mail how do I get temporary tag or drive the vehicle
I believe you need the Bill of Sale as proof that the car is now yours without the title. That way you can get a temporary plate for it or transfer registration of another car over to it. Maybe this link will help.

Indiana Car Buying & Selling FAQ | DMV.org

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

1 posts, read 175,353 times
I live in marshall minnesota and I got a car financed, but purchase the car in south Dakota. My temp tag just expired but I don't have the money to transfer every thing over thru the dmv.......what can I do to be able to continue drive my car until I'm able to afford the transfer fee

Old 02-23-2016, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 169,732 times
I have a ? If any body can answer im buy a car on 4th of this month and i wana no if i can drive my car even tho im going have the paper work with me wen i buy it i dont have liecen tho is it posable for me to drive it how do i can my tempary plates do i need licens to get it plz help me out i need to no

Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,226,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpope View Post
I have a ? If any body can answer im buy a car on 4th of this month and i wana no if i can drive my car even tho im going have the paper work with me wen i buy it i dont have liecen tho is it posable for me to drive it how do i can my tempary plates do i need licens to get it plz help me out i need to no
You don't have a drivers license or you don't have a license plate? You cannot drive without a drivers license, period.

Old 07-24-2016, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 153,419 times
I'm buying a car in Kentucky and I live in Tennessee how do I get a plate to drive it home.....

Old 07-25-2016, 08:46 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,459,056 times
Why are all these questions showing up in the INDIANA forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana