Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM

18 posts, read 82,211 times

Advertisements

I have lived near Evansville my entire life and would never consider the weather to be freezing. While I'm sure it is colder here than in Arizona, as long as you put a coat on you should be fine (personally I usually get by with just a sweatshirt or jacket for most of the winter). The biggest problem with driving is when it rains and then the temperature drops which freezes the water on the roads. Snow differs every year, last winter we only had accumulated snow fall once and it was only a few inches. Blizzards are about a once in a decade occurrence. They do a good job of putting salt on the roads and clearing off snow when we get it.

I think the humidity will be a bigger shock for you than you think. While the temperature is not as high, the high humidity can make it very uncomfortable to be outside. And if there is a risk of a tornado they will pretty much cover it non-stop on the local media (especially since Nov 2005 tornado).

There is a minor league baseball team in Evansville which plays at Bosse Field the 3rd oldest ballpark in the country. Indyjones is right that people here like the Cardinals and the Colts, and like the rest of the state they LOVE basketball, especially IU. The U of Evansville usually draws over 7 thousand to their games. The city has two big festivals every year, the Freedom Festival and Thunder on the Ohio is held along the river-front during 4th of July weekend and the West Side Fall Festival during October (which is said to be the 2nd biggest street festival in the country after Mardi Gras).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 08:43 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
Hello everyone!

We're looking to move out of the Arizona desert. As of right now, Southern Indiana is a very good possibility. I have been looking at areas such as Rockport, Newburgh, Boonville etc. I have searched and read what everyone has had to say about the area, but there's a few things I couldn't find.

Weather: How are the winters? Are they harsh? Is it FREEZING for days, weeks or months at a time? Are the roads icy a lot? Can you tell me about driving conditions in the winter? I know these questions probably seem ridiculous to some, however, please keep in mind that I live in Arizona where it is 120+ degrees in the summer and ice on the roads would bring new meaning to "hell freezing over". I have live all of my driving years here and need to know what I will be in for.

Critters: What kinds of pests/critters are there? Roaches? Snakes? Ticks? Chiggers? Leaches (the slimy ones, not the two legged mooches )?

What else can you tell me? My biggest concern is the cold weather. I know it's humid there, but our bodies are adjusted to HEAT not FREEZING weather . I'm just curious what kind of acclamation we'll have to make...not to mention buying new wardrobes lol.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Currently, I live in Chandler, IN (between Boonville, and Newburgh) and we LOVE it!

Low crime rate, amazing school systems, good job opportunities and a smaller town feel.

The weather varies from year to year, heck sometimes even week to week.

Not usually too much snow or ice, but average temp is in the 20's during winter and summer hovers around high 90's to low 100's. The humidity will kill you though.

Critters: Skunks, fox, deer, rabbit, coyote, raccons, possum, roaches in bad areas, ticks, skeeters, frogs, snakes, pretty much any type of animal is here, lol. No scorpions or tarantulas though (unless you buy one at the pet store!).

During spring and fall it's about 60-50 during the day and 40-50 at night, summer is 90-100+ during the day and 70's-80's at night, and winter around 30-40 during the day, and teens to 30 during night.

When you move, if you are stuck in Evansville, DO NOT move on the southwestern side of Hwy41 and the Lloyd!!! Try to find somewhere either in Newburgh, Chandler, or the east side or north side of Evansville.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the information! Thank you!

So, December to March winter coats are necessary...is it icy for those 4 months? Or just a little here and there. I just need to know how extreme. I personally wouldn't care so much, but we are trying to get my mom and dad to move with us as well and they're not too keen on freezing weather lol.

I never really thought trying to find a place to relocate would be so difficult. lol
Not constant like say Denver or Vail with the snow and ice, but it's sporadic at best. One day you will have ice and snow and 2 days later, people are playing golf in 50 degree weather, lol.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Well, it's good to know that there isn't ice 24/7 all winter long. However, it's even better to know that you're all weather literate! That's funny!

So....ok, it's COLD some ice, some snow...but there aren't any blizzards right? It doesn't get THAT bad...right?

As for the tornadoes...I looked on cd's page and it shows it's about 53% above US avg...Coming from people that live there and/or KNOW the areas (I know there was a pretty good one not too long ago) are tornadoes a frequent event? Or pretty rare? I'm not worried...just need to be prepared. I can handle the thought of a tornado before a blizzard.

I really appreciate your time!

A couple more questions for you...

Where I live now, Arizona and Nevada are divided by the Colorado River, just like you're divided with Kentucky by the Ohio River. Is the river good for fishing? Are there any lakes around there? Are there water moccasins/Cottonmouths or other snakes/critters to worry about in the lakes or river? Is there a good swimming lake? What other recreation is there around there?
DO NOT go fishing in the river, unless you want to eat 4 eyed fish, lol!

Kentucky lake is about a 2hr drive and it's huge and great fishing, sailing, boating, swimming, and hunting area.

Yeah, you will have to be cautious about it, but no more than you worry about scorpions or rattlers in the desert now. Just stay away from the areas they are comfy in and you will be fine.

Scales lake is about 15 mins from my house in Boonville, and it's a good little swimming lake, along with tons of city parks and pools.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,953 times
greetings Evansvillians
I am considering a move to Evansville in Jan 2008 and was just wondering what the health climate is like there. Is there any interest in healthful living ie. cooking, natural remedies, natural remedy clinics etc...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,699 times
I used to have a couple of Aunts from their but lost track of them when my fathers father passed away my dads name was George A Ambrose..Roseann or sissy ltns..

Old 03-01-2010, 09:00 AM

990 posts, read 1,725,856 times
What people usually say about Indiana weather is "if you don't like the weather stick around cause it will change" Indiana has a little bit of everything, fall can be really beautiful when the leaves change colors-spring we really appreciate because of winter-I like a little snow it can be pretty and fun to play in and summer can be hot and a great place for water sports swimming,boating.fishing ect.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,266 times
there is poisonous snakes in southern indy. like the Northern copperhead and timber rattlesnake and water moccasin. i live in columbus

Old 11-30-2010, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,996 times
I moved here in 2008 from Spokane WA! I have lived in Prescott valley Arizona to and there was a lot of stuff to do and see there. As far as Evansville here are the cons. Very humid in the summer, very uncomfortable! People will say that there are no roaches here lol but they are huge. Had most my outdoor fun spoiled by ticks and lots of them, if you have animals prepare to spend lots of money for advantage every month, all year. I reed on here that scales lake is a good swimming hole, I wouldent swim in there if I had to, and I love swimming! The ohio river has different fishing wich is fun, im used to trout, steelhead, cutthoat, here they have gar and diff fish wich is fun. But last time I fished the Ohio I cought a spark plug and a flannel shirt! Seriously! As far as the bugs, we had to hire a company to come out, and I live in a newer home on the East side. Make sure you have a job when you get here, because there is no work here, repeat no work!!!!! I can go on and on about the cons of this place but lets move to the pros, wont take long! You dont have to water your lawn because of the humidity, great soil you can grow anything, light winters although I like snow and cold being form WA. Must say that the people here are pretty nice people. If you have any more questions I will be glad to answere them about this place, dont listen to people who lived here forever , they dont know any better.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:50 AM

993 posts, read 2,291,011 times
As far as the weather is concerned, you will notice a difference in the humidity. The cold is a "wet" cold, so it may feel much colder than a "dry" cold. I didn't realize how much humidity made a difference until we went out west last year. I think Indiana is a pretty good place to live, but then again I've lived here my entire life so I don't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana