Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

486 posts, read 863,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
no kidding.

It's embarrassing how far behind we are on passenger rail.
Agree. Other countries seem to do it. Just review the history of the US rail system & how it
affected the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Good lord.......Indianans Hoosiers who cares? I'll take Indianan over Hoosier, thanks.

Never could understand the "Hoosier" thing.

Midwest High Speed Rail, I would welcome this with open arms to Chicago, even more so now that Southwest is cutting back on their direct Indy-Chicago flights. High speed rail would not do me a lot of good to any other cities, and they would generally require a car to get around once there. I guess it would depend on what my plans are in my destination.
Also agree.

[quote=ischyros;29030235]Except all the money from the toll road lease is gone.

It was a short term money gain by the governor and it's crazy how much future revenue will be lost
because of that decision. Illinois also did that. "America for sale."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
[quote=key4lp;29048451]Agree. Other countries seem to do it. Just review the history of the US rail system & how it
affected the US.

Also agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Except all the money from the toll road lease is gone.

It was a short term money gain by the governor and it's crazy how much future revenue will be lost
because of that decision. Illinois also did that. "America for sale."
Yep, Mitch took Daley's lead on that lease crap! I guess that makes us like Chicago

Old 04-10-2013, 09:28 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,733 times
Quote:
Midwest High Speed Rail, I would welcome this with open arms to Chicago, even more so now that Southwest is cutting back on their direct Indy-Chicago flights. High speed rail would not do me a lot of good to any other cities, and they would generally require a car to get around once there. I guess it would depend on what my plans are in my destination.
And the part in bold is why rail no longer works well in the US in most places. We've sprawled with the automobile, so it is very difficult to rely upon any form of transportation other than a car for a sub 5 hour trip. Once you get there, visitors tend to need a car to get around.

Europe has great systems, but they only exist because the built environment of the cities they connect is walking and transit friendly. If Indianapolis had the density of those places, the urban area (now over 700 miles--almost 2 Marion counties of development from a size perspective) would fit into less than half of Marion County. No developed part of the area would be further than 6 or 7 miles from the train station and there would be all sorts of ways to get from A to B to C within the city after you arrived.

Every city other than Chicago in the Midwest can't really function as a rail hub for this reason. A network of radial spokes from Chicago to places like Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cincinnati/Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Detroit may work. But connecting Indy to St. Louis or Indy to Columbus will not.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
I think the first step is to rationalize why it is needed in the Midwest? The second need would be to determine which towns would benefit the most?

To me it seems like sports is the driving force. Every town mentioned has a pro team. It is unlikely Chicagoans will ride a train for 5 hours to shop in St. Louis. or any other place on the planet.

The real problem with the Chicago plan is smoke and mirrors. It is impossible to arrive in St. Louis much faster than it is now due to the whistle stops and freight that take precedence over passenger. There are already 2-3 trains that cover from Chicago to southern Illinois, and Chicago to St. Louis. And a train from Princeton to Chicago. The only way to create a fast train to St. Louis is not 150 miles an hour. It is 150 mph on new rail with no stops for passengers or freight trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Every city other than Chicago in the Midwest can't really function as a rail hub for this reason. A network of radial spokes from Chicago to places like Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cincinnati/Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Detroit may work. But connecting Indy to St. Louis or Indy to Columbus will not.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:09 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,300,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
To me it seems like sports is the driving force. Every town mentioned has a pro team. It is unlikely Chicagoans will ride a train for 5 hours to shop in St. Louis. or any other place on the planet.
I don't think sports is the driving force, it just so happens that the major cities in the Midwest all have sports teams. Chicago is in effect the capital of the Midwest, it attracts a lot of visitors and a lot of those visitors come from the other big Midwest cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The only way to create a fast train to St. Louis is not 150 miles an hour. It is 150 mph on new rail with no stops for passengers or freight trains.
I thought this was the original plan.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,269,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
And the part in bold is why rail no longer works well in the US in most places. We've sprawled with the automobile, so it is very difficult to rely upon any form of transportation other than a car for a sub 5 hour trip. Once you get there, visitors tend to need a car to get around.

Europe has great systems, but they only exist because the built environment of the cities they connect is walking and transit friendly. If Indianapolis had the density of those places, the urban area (now over 700 miles--almost 2 Marion counties of development from a size perspective) would fit into less than half of Marion County. No developed part of the area would be further than 6 or 7 miles from the train station and there would be all sorts of ways to get from A to B to C within the city after you arrived.

No only that (underlined/bold statement above) but fuel is taxed A LOT more in Europe so there is more incentive for people to use other modes and rely heavily on public transit. If we paid $5-$7+ a gallon consistently it might be different. If fuel taxes covered a greater % of the road costs, the difference the government currently prioritizes towards roads could go to trains and public transit giving people more options.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
It might have been the original plan but it seems they are using old route, same stops, faster engine. In the first 165+/- miles between Chicago and St. Louis there are 5 stops including Springfield. Passengers will be very tricky to run 120mph for 300+ miles with no freight stops. At 90mph you might gain 60 minutes but I don't think it's realistic.

Your point is well taken. I will buy into a MPLS, MLW, CHI, INDY, CINCY spoke a lot quicker than I will the Chi-StL pie-in-the-sky light rail.

Quote:
I don't think sports is the driving force, it just so happens that the major cities in the Midwest all have sports teams. Chicago is in effect the capital of the Midwest, it attracts a lot of visitors and a lot of those visitors come from the other big Midwest cities.

I thought this was the original plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana