Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 12:31 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

I've been researching places to retire all over the country and have been interested in Indiana for awhile now. Here's what I'm looking for and it seems Indiana has most of it, tell me your thoughts pro or con

Lower cost of living
Four seasons (but not extreme)
Low traffic
Good shopping available
Pro sports
Medical care
Beautiful scenery - trees, lakes close by
Conservative politics
Easy going lifestyle
Enough stuff to do to keep it interesting
Good apartments
Great colleges

I've sent away for brochures, etc. and of course they make it sound like paradise. But it seems that Indiana does meet my "wish list" do a large extent. I assume I would probably live close to Indy at least at first until I get to know the areas better. Indiana being "flat" would be a huge change for me, but if it meets my needs, then I could adjust, but I am a person that needs to have natural beauty around me. But I'm pretty much a suburb lover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 02:21 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,722,754 times
Where do you live now?

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM

45 posts, read 104,944 times
Indiana would tick all of the boxes on your list. Southern Indiana (Bloomington,Nashville,etc.) is quite pretty with rolling hills. That area is also fairly close to Indy for pro sports,shopping and so on.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I've been researching places to retire all over the country and have been interested in Indiana for awhile now. Here's what I'm looking for and it seems Indiana has most of it, tell me your thoughts pro or con

Lower cost of living
Four seasons (but not extreme)
Low traffic
Good shopping available
Pro sports
Medical care
Beautiful scenery - trees, lakes close by
Conservative politics
Easy going lifestyle
Enough stuff to do to keep it interesting
Good apartements
Great colleges

I've sent away for brochures, etc. and of course they make it sound like paradise. But it seems that Indiana does meet my "wish list" do a large extent. I assume I would probably live close to Indy at least at first until I get to know the areas better. Indiana being "flat" would be a huge change for me, but if it meets my needs, then I could adjust, but I am a person that needs to have natural beauty around me. But I'm pretty much a suburb lover.
Central indiana is flat. South is hills, north is dunes. Bloomington is a great retirement. You could also look at say porter county in da region. Indiana dunes address is pc but stretches from gary all the way towards michigan city. Close to lake michigan (you will pay though), less than an hour from chicago. You can drive or gop on the south shore and not worry about a car. Very few beaches allow pets though. Small sliver of the lakeshore and gary's lake street beach beach are the ones that offer it if you have pets. Central indiana is indy dominated and has its plus and minuses.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:33 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
SoCal...can't afford to stay here in retirement. I was raised in Western NY State.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:57 PM

42 posts, read 169,302 times
I think Indiana meets most of your requirements. Except, the seasons are extreme. You'll see temps from 20 degrees in the gray of winter to 95+ humidity in summer. The further south you go (bottom 1/3 of state) the less snow you'll have. Up north (the flat areas) you'll have more blustery winds.

Obviously, getting everything on your list will be difficult, but I would also check out tn and ky.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Indiana winters(especially southern Indiana) are milder than western NY and if you look into TN, keep in mind that summers are going to be hotter and more humid. Indiana weather may feel extreme compared to SoCal, but then again, so will most other states.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:23 PM

66 posts, read 121,760 times
Funny that someone from Knoxville is recommending Southern Indiana as I(A Southern Indiana'er) would recommend Eastern Tennessee.

I have family in Eastern Tennessee and honestly the summers aren't any hotter and humid then Southern Indiana. The spring and fall come a month earlier and last a month later down there. There first 2 winters down there it didn't snow once. Last winter I know was pretty bad but the lifetimers said they hadn't got that much snow in a long time. It doesn't help that when it snows in Tennessee people freak and stay inside for a month.

I personally hate Indiana weather and that's why I'm leaving. It's not consistent at all and a lot of the time it's cloudy. I swear it's felt like 3 straight months of cloudy days before.

Bloomington is a good place to live though. I will give Bloomington that. And the area around Bloomington is pretty.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:18 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
There are many retirees here in Columbus and I know several who like to retire in Bloomington for the proximity to Indianapolis as well as all the cultural and sports available in Bloomington.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU&UF View Post
Funny that someone from Knoxville is recommending Southern Indiana as I(A Southern Indiana'er) would recommend Eastern Tennessee.

I have family in Eastern Tennessee and honestly the summers aren't any hotter and humid then Southern Indiana. The spring and fall come a month earlier and last a month later down there. There first 2 winters down there it didn't snow once. Last winter I know was pretty bad but the lifetimers said they hadn't got that much snow in a long time. It doesn't help that when it snows in Tennessee people freak and stay inside for a month.

I personally hate Indiana weather and that's why I'm leaving. It's not consistent at all and a lot of the time it's cloudy. I swear it's felt like 3 straight months of cloudy days before.

Bloomington is a good place to live though. I will give Bloomington that. And the area around Bloomington is pretty.
Its a funny world isn't it. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. The OP may love Eastern TN.

I have been in Knoxville for about a year, we are moving back to Indiana this summer. I don't find TN weather to be much of an improvement over Indiana. Yes, it doesn't snow as much, but I found the gray, chill drizzle that constitutes a Knoxville winter to be much worse than snow. It rains an unbelievable amount here.

We do agree on one point, Bloomington is a great place to live and would be a fantastic place to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana