Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

I currently live 30 minutes from Detroit. No need to explain the huge mess in Michigan. I have been looking at Fort Wayne as my next move for me and my children. My questions are: Is FW a decent place to raise a family, how is the crime rate, how are the schools, community recreation and activities, cost of living? I am paying an arm and leg in car insurance here. I was told MI is the most expensive state. Please be brutally honest in your comments. I have to get out of Michigan. This all is ridiculous!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 06:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,706,637 times
Fort Wayne while not perfect is a good city. Most crime occurs in a few mile area of one part of the city. It is not an expensive place and would be a great place to raise a family. We are much smaller than Detroit though.

Fort Wayne community schools are ok, but other districts like SW Allen have very good schools.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:40 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,281,744 times
I would recommend Southwest Allen County schools as well. The area around Jefferson Blvd west of I-69 would be ideal for raising a family in Fort Wayne, but the north side around Dupont Rd is nice as well. There are plenty of family activities in Fort Wayne. The Fort Wayne Children's Zoo is great. Science Central is a nice science museum for the kids. And there are all kinds of festivals in downtown Fort Wayne during the summer. While there are several branches of the public library around the city, the central library downtown is amazing.

Cost of living should be fairly low. Most homes in the SW Allen County school district will run between $200k and $300k but I think you can find some for under $200k, especially as you get north toward Aboite Center Rd. Property tax in Indiana is capped at 1% (not sure if any areas of Fort Wayne had a referendum to raise this or not).

Old 08-20-2013, 09:45 AM

8 posts, read 7,104 times
I also, as someone that went through the SACS school system (grades 3-12) can vouch for its quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana