Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM

47 posts, read 127,525 times

Advertisements

Hello-

After a brief stay in Michigan, husband got a job in Bloomington. Getting used to the cost of real estate here. Wanting to buy but having a hard time figuring the area. Want to purchase, but odds are we'll be leaving within a few years. Long enough to make purchasing an okay risk, but needing to be careful about resale. Wanting at least 4 bedrooms and thinking close to town, but not wanting to spend over $350k, less is better (!!), but a lot of homes less than that seem to need a whole lot of work. Not opposed to cosmetic work, but structural things are out of our skill level.

The forums have been so very helpful in the past - so what is ya'lls opinion? Neighborhoods, subdivisions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Let me just say upfront, I previously was a realtor in Bloomington. I not done that for a year or so--by choice. I have no "skin in that game" any longer. Yes, Bloomington prices are high in comparison to much of the state. It's the second or third most expensive market.

I'm wondering where you're looking if you think you need to spend $350k to get a home in decent shape or how you define "work." It's kind of hard to make recommendations about neighborhoods without knowing more about the location of your H's job (it can be 20 minutes or more from one side of town to the other), how long he's willing to drive, if you need to consider schools, etc. Given your price range though, and that it will only be for a few years, I would make two recommendations: stay as close to town as possible (unless you want more property) and stay in MCCSC schools, even if they don't matter to you.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:52 AM

47 posts, read 127,525 times
Hello-

Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in staying close to town, husband works on the west side of town, just west of 37 and West 3rd. Schools aren't necessarily an issue until high school. There are cute homes downtown, I guess Elm Heights or South Bryan, but way out of our price range or just too much work for us. We've been looking more in the East part of Bloomington, and again finding that price to be common. Maybe we should wait to buy until spring? How is new construction in Bloomington?

Sorry - edited to add that what I consider work are the structural elements: new roof, windows, updating electrical, etc. Well, maybe I should add I'm not too keen on pulling wallpaper throughout the entire house as well.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 AM

122 posts, read 323,634 times
Bloomington's housing market is inflated by the university. Most everything in Bloomington is priced higher because of IU and the general population - not associated with IU - pays dearly for it.

The biggest demand in Bloomington are for homes between $120,000 - $220,000. They don't last long unless they are abandoned and in bad shape.

We lived off of 37 south of 2nd Street. Convenient to both sides of town (and you will use both sides of town east and west) you couldn't ask for a better location near town.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-10-2013, 04:25 PM

49 posts, read 108,913 times
If you're not gonna stay ten years, then find a nice rental. That way if you don't like the neighborhood, you can move. Ya can't move a house exactly if you don't like the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana