Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,715 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving to Greenfield, IN. Have relatives in Indianapolis but rather live in smaller city near by. The question is----my wife is asian and I am concerned how she would be accepted by the locals. Any negative news on the subject? Thanks, Gondor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 09:22 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gondor View Post
Thinking of moving to Greenfield, IN. Have relatives in Indianapolis but rather live in smaller city near by. The question is----my wife is asian and I am concerned how she would be accepted by the locals. Any negative news on the subject? Thanks, Gondor
What kind of negative news? Lynchings or cross burnings?

Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Oh man.............where do these people come from? Asians, I mean.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM

I suppose to most people it was a stupid question to ask but we had half a dozen bad (and a few frightening) racially motivated incidents in our vacation travels to northern Wisconsin. I won't get into them but I will ask another question-----did you ever have someone spit on your 7 and 5 year old kids? After an experience like that I always try to get a "feel" for an area we are going to visit. Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone by asking. Thanks, Gondor

Old 10-30-2013, 12:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Gondor, I am sorry to hear of your negative experiences in Wisconsin. I would hope you would not experience anything like that in Indiana, but there are ignorant people everywhere. A young man I know that immigrated from China has also experienced racist stuff in Indianapolis. For reasons I won't go into here, it's a concern for me.

There was an "interesting" story out of Greenfield yesterday:
Greenfield-Central student detained after bringing gun to school - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Unfortunately those incidents seem to happen everywhere lately.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
Ive been living in GF for the last 5 years working on the east side of Indy. Its a sweet commute giving me the best of a city and small town. I spent most of my working life in the UP of michigan and know small towns N WI pretty well also. When you get that far north in the midwest things can get isolated and you do chance running into a a nut job now and then that wants to play skin head. Once you get passed Chicago heading south i think those type of people are fewer and further between.

My wife is Asian and we have an 8 & 10m YO in the GFCS (Pretty good school system). Compared to the small towns in WI I find This part of the Midwest Indy and GF to be a great place for our family. We never have had any problems with the people schools, businesses etc. I think its because as a smalltown people tend to mind there own business and pretty much live and let live, not some big community effort to promote diversity but just minding there own biz. Greenfield as a municipality has the same problems as alot of other midwest towns but also has alot of the quaint charm you are looking for. Its really nice to have the offerings of Indy a 10 min ride on the interstate away and to roll back into GF when were done over there

Im not trying to sound bad arse or something but i think i project to others that im the type of person they wouldnt want to funk with. That being said my wife has never had any problems while out with the kids or by herself. Were very happy here, no problems

Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM

Default life in greenfield, IN

Thanks a million "boner". That's the kind of assessment I was for-----very positive. Maybe I'll somehow bump into you next spring. Thanks much, Gondor

Old 10-31-2013, 02:21 PM

74,155 posts, read 1,836,473 times
A friend's wife is Asian and they don't have any trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana