Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 01:21 PM

132 posts, read 230,638 times

Advertisements

My husband applied for a job that we thought was in Columbus but now see the actual location is Edinburgh. When I did crime stats I see it is a very dangerous place laden with violent crime. I know stats can be misleading, so I thought I would see what folks who live there think. We will be looking for a safe place as we have 5 kids. Schools are not as important since we homeschool. We would most likely rent for a year and then possibly buy a home around 250K. We prefer a newer construction if possible. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
When I did crime stats I see it is a very dangerous place laden with violent crime.
Is there a different Edinburgh you are talking about?

Old 04-28-2015, 01:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Toxic--I too laughed when I read this--Edinburgh--dangerous and laden with violent crime? I wonder where the OP found these stats. More importantly, where does the OP live that makes Edinburgh look dangerous?

The only thing I can think of is that with the Outlet Mall, perhaps there are more reports of crime--shoplifting, car break-ins? Hardly seems violent to me, and is not usually classified as such.

Just for kicks I did a little crime search--violent crime rate is lower than the state or national rate.

Maybe the OP was looking at some old stats. There was a murder-suicide there a few years ago that might skew that.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:31 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Are you talking about Edinburgh, Scotland? I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick if so. Let us know, and we will be able to help you with some information.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:42 PM

No it is not the one in Scotland. I am talking about the one in the middle of the country of USA. Funny though. So glad I gave you all a good laugh. That is why I am inquiring of you KIND folks. Stats can be skewed and it is really hard to judge things by stats alone. There were more than a few violent robberies And considering the size of the city it can increase stats. Sooooooo with that said, the area is safe???? That is good to know. What an out Franklin?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
I live in Columbus ... I'm not certain where you are finding these stats ... There isn't much going on in Edinburgh, honestly.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:04 PM

271 posts, read 458,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh-Happy-Day View Post
No it is not the one in Scotland. I am talking about the one in the middle of the country of USA. Funny though. So glad I gave you all a good laugh. That is why I am inquiring of you KIND folks. Stats can be skewed and it is really hard to judge things by stats alone. There were more than a few violent robberies And considering the size of the city it can increase stats. Sooooooo with that said, the area is safe???? That is good to know. What an out Franklin?
What website are you looking at for the crime stats of Edinburgh?

There isn't much going on in Edinburgh, when it comes in mind all we think about is the shopping outlet located there.

Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM

I looked at neighborhood scout. I usually pull crime stats from several sites, but I couldn't find any on city data. Thanks for your help. So now we can move on. How about housing? I heard rentals are hard to come by....or is that another misnomer? We would rent and then buy. My husband would be working near the outlet mall. Any ideas as to a middle upper class newer construction area?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:57 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Edinburgh is close to Camp Atterbury so that impacts the rental market and makes it difficult. Even in the midwest $250,000 would not be considered middle-upper class. I suspect any new construction going on in Edinburgh is custom. In looking at statistics you did notice Edinburgh has about 5000 people correct? Not exactly a place builders will be swarming to build.

One can get from Columbus up to Edinburgh in under 20 minutes. Perhaps your husband could accept a short commute? It's as close as Franklin which you also mentioned.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:30 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Sorry but I have to agree with the others that to think Edinburgh is dangerous is laughable. You didn't do anything wrong but whatever report you saw must have been very skewed. The only time I ever hear about Edinburgh is in relation to the outlet mall. And the only time I ever hear it on the news is Black Friday when the outlet mall is swamped.

If you wanted to be in Columbus, it's certainly possible to live there and commute to Edinburgh. It's not a long trip. And if the job is by the outlet mall, it's likely right off the interstate then, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana