Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington or Indiana
Washington 10 66.67%
Indiana 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,489 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a choice of moving to Washington or Indiana for about two years. I have been in California my entire life. I am from Orange County. I grew up in Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo but I live in Fullerton now. I am 33 years old and I am married with 2 kids. I absoutly love Orange County and California in general. I would want to move to a place somewhat like Cali. We are very family oriented. Our kids are very involved in youth sports. They play football, basketball, and baseball. We like to go swimming, hiking, and fishing. We like amusement parks, and really just anything that's fun. I am looking to move where its very diverse, affordable, good neighborhood, and great schools. Please help me to decide! Where should I move? Indiana or Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:00 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
I grew up in Indiana and lived in Washington for about 5 years total. For an accurate answer you're going to have to tell us which cities in the two states we should compare. Both states have very different cities located in them, with very different lifestyles and vibes. So, which cities in these states should we compare to one another to give you a good answer?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:40 PM

141 posts, read 217,404 times
Washington...Indiana is NOT diverse, and there is not too much to do. No real amusement parks, but there are some good state parks around the state. I live in the Northwest section and it is close to Chicago, so that's convenient. It really does depend on what cities you are looking at though.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
Washington...Indiana is NOT diverse, and there is not too much to do. No real amusement parks, but there are some good state parks around the state. I live in the Northwest section and it is close to Chicago, so that's convenient. It really does depend on what cities you are looking at though.
Holiday World is routinely listed as one of the best amusement parks in the country. And Kings Island is right across the state line north of Cincinnati.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I grew up in Indiana and lived in Washington for about 5 years total. For an accurate answer you're going to have to tell us which cities in the two states we should compare. Both states have very different cities located in them, with very different lifestyles and vibes. So, which cities in these states should we compare to one another to give you a good answer?
For Indiana I'm considering Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, and maybe Greenwood. A nice area still in reach to Indianapolis.

Washington: Seattle or any nice Seattle suburb. Renton, Bellevue etc.
I would prefer newer looking areas. Well modern areas. I was looking at some pics of some of Indiana cities where the houses were older. I like scenary. I also read that some of both Indiana and WA have its racist parts. It can be rumors! I am black & white (biracial). My husband is white. Our kids are biracial. We have never experienced racism in California.

One thing I do like about Indiana is that the rent is like super cheap compared to California and Seattle lol

Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 PM

And I'm also considering Tacoma as well

Old 05-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
I am so sad to hear that! It's so diverse here in California

Last edited by caligirll777; 05-29-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
That's why I said to be specific about an area. The Indianapolis area and northern Indiana in general is VERY diverse; you will fit in fine as a part of an interracial couple and family.

There's plenty to do in both places. If you have a choice, maybe a better family option is the Indianapolis area because it is so much more affordable than Washington's coastal region. Cheaper housing and COLA means more money for fun activities and for savings.

Washington is much prettier, of course.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:21 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirll777 View Post
For Indiana I'm considering Fishers, Carmel, Noblesville, and maybe Greenwood. A nice area still in reach to Indianapolis.

Washington: Seattle or any nice Seattle suburb. Renton, Bellevue etc.
I would prefer newer looking areas. Well modern areas. I was looking at some pics of some of Indiana cities where the houses were older. I like scenary. I also read that some of both Indiana and WA have its racist parts. It can be rumors! I am black & white (biracial). My husband is white. Our kids are biracial. We have never experienced racism in California.

One thing I do like about Indiana is that the rent is like super cheap compared to California and Seattle lol
Indiana has some very small towns. For example, my dad was born and raised in a town of about 500 people. There are many of those across the state. You may find racism more likely in smaller towns would be my guess. You shouldn't have a problem in the Indianapolis area, suburbs included. I know two interracial couples, both cases the husband is black and wife is white, each family has two kids. They've both lived in Noblesville/Fishers and Westfield. One couple both work just across the border into Indianapolis. The other couple work downtown Indy. Neither have ever had any problems with racism or issues with their biracial kids. So I don't think you should be concerned about that in the Indy area.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:15 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Comparing those cities in Washington and Indiana is like comparing apples and oranges. Only you can decide what is more important to you because each area offers some positives and negatives. Obviously the cost of living difference between the areas is HUGE. The scenery and climate are vastly different. The general attitudes are different. What is more important to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana