Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
I got robbed at knifepoint in castle point apartments.

Before ND developed the south side of campus as a buffer, there were shootings very frequently all around those areas. SB is a declining rust belt town, and it is only alive and kicking today due to ND and St Marys.

Please realize every city in America is improving its downtown. I was just there last fall for a game and while the city has improved, it is improving by baby steps.

Don't get me wrong. I love south bend. Nostalgia for late nights at Boat Club. Game days at Linebacker. All the tradition on campus. Used to date a girl from Penn as a college student And loved hanging in Granger. Grape Rd is your typical anywhere USA big box strip mall.

Granted, there is an uptick in crime in every city in the USA, but it rarely occurs at the very center of the CBD. Just tonight, another homicide right square in dt:

Mishawaka man charged in downtown South Bend shooting
The decline is over, there has been hundreds of millions of dollars in new investment over the past 3 years, and not all of it is Notre Dame related. South Bend is on a slow but steady uptick, the recent census estimates also show a population growth for both South Bend and Mishawaka, slow, but not a decline. You really need to revisit the city for events, there's a new energy here that the city hasn't had in decades.

The old Studbeaker factories on the south side of downtown near the baseball stadium recently received a huge investment from a company looking to repurpose them into a technology hub, a $23 million investment.

Studebaker tech project lands almost $23 million to rehab former plant - South Bend Tribune: Business

The old Holiday Inn downtown which was later converted to Chase Tower has now been bought out by Strafford Hotels and is being converted into a newer hotel, called Aloft South Bend with over 170 rooms and 80 apartments on the upper levels. I could go on at length in the continued investment and expansions in both downtown South Bend and Mishawaka.

Shootings can and do happen anywhere and everywhere, I'm kind of tired of the mantra line of thinking that, "well since this place had a shooting at one time, it must be unsafe." You refer to it as "another shooting" Do you have the info on when the last murder was in downtown?

The man who was killed was an unarmed 27 year old black man, the man who committed the murder was a 69 year old Vietnam war vet who has PTSD and was carrying two handguns with him at the time. Eyewitness reports so far have said that the old white man was in a verbal argument with the young black man and at what point grabbed him by his backpack and spun him around, a single shot to the face came a few moments later. Early reports have said that Mr. Young (the Vietnam vet) was surprised that his gun went off, sounds like it may have been unintentional?

Either way, no one knows the motive for the killing as of yet, and murders in the downtown area are extremely rare.

I'll give you one point though, the west side of South Bend has mostly been in continual decline, property values continue to sink in most areas, with the exception of the Near Northwest side along Portage Avenue, where there has been a slight uptick in interest and several homes have undergone extensive renovations. Parts of Western Avenue saw a makeover from the city as well. Pretty much every side of the city except for the West Side is doing fine, and the same can be said for a lot of cities.

And of course the South Bend area isn't high on anyone's relocation list unless it's due to family ties, or a job, or some affiliation with Notre Dame, the same can be said for almost any city under a million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
But SB is really not high on anyone's relocation list unless it has to do with ND. Admittedly, I have not spent more than 2 nights there in I dunno, 20 years. That said, I make point to drive all around town. Man the west side is REALLY bad still. And really all around and south of downtown. Head down the river towards Elkhart and it is not so nice. Even parts of Mishawaka are sketchy.
Well to your credit at least you realize parts of Mishawaka can be sketchy too, the locals all view Mishawaka as some glorious safe haven from the thugs in South Bend, when it has its share of poor and rundown areas as well, especially south of downtown and on the eastern edge out towards Capital Rd.

There isn't a whole lot between downtown South Bend and Chippewa Rd. besides a few old and empty buildings, the strip club, and a ton of light industrial warehouses, most of which are still inhabited and then a lot of working class neighborhoods. It's admittedly not a great part of town, but Miami Village is a shining spot, and Twyckenham Hills area still holds a lot of money on the south side. South of Chipewa Rd. and along Ireland Rd. is where the south side businesses continue to do well, in the old Scottsdale Mall location, there's nothing wrong with that area.

Between Mishawaka and Elkhart is Osceola and most of the unincorporated County area that encompasses most of Penn Harriss Madison School district, one of the highest rated public school systems in the state. Admittedly Osceola is an eye sore, it's where most of the hillbillies and rednecks relocate to, but it's a relaxed area. Besides meth labs there isn't much activity out that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 03:39 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,966,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Two people mixed up in who knows what. The man who was killed had been arrested 8 times in the past 5 years between South Bend and Mishawaka for drug charges, intimidation charges, and burglary. I'm not suggesting he was mixed up in anything illegal here, but the world may be a better place without him, still unsure why he was killed by some seemingly random old white man.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
^^^
So far according to current news reports, he was unarmed and it appears he did nothing (at this
point) to warrant being shot. Let's wait until the entire story is told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana