U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM

625 posts, read 1,339,075 times

Advertisements

Wow, Cummins engines seems to be really "hitting on all cylinders" (yuk, yuk) .

Cummins to add 500 jobs, lease office - MSNBC Wire Services - MSNBC.com (broken link)

To think about the dire straights they were in not too long ago, and look at them now. Columbus seems to be really growing, adding jobs, construction, and remaining prosperous. Doesn't hurt that a brand new Honda auto plant is going up 25miles east of Columbus, and will greatly impact the economy positively for the area.

Wonder if all the gloom and doom in the housing market will be greatly offset for Columbus with all of these relatively good paying jobs coming in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM

17,696 posts, read 37,832,845 times
We moved here at the right time!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 PM

91 posts, read 299,656 times
I do not know if anyone read the Republic on Sunday, but it talked about how Columbus is not in the housing slump like most other places around the United States. Homes around the Columbus Area are getting around 96% of their asking price. This ought to say a lot about Columbus. Great Growing Small Town Community....I say, "Keep Up The Good Work Columbus!!!"

JulieL

Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 AM

JulieL,

Does your Real Estate experience/business as of late mirror what the paper reported? How is time on market, and selling vs asking price? Is this time of year a terrible time to sell?

Are you getting folks from Honda interested in settling in Columbus, and where do you think this wave of new Cummins folks will want to settle in Columbus?

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 AM

It's been rumored that the white collar workers in the Honda plant will be moving here, again, that's rumor. The housing market here has traditionally been very stable because there isn't explosive housing growth like up in Indy. Houses that are move in ready sell quickly and if a house sits on the market for more than 90 days, it's either overpriced or there are issues with the home. The housing market also tends to be neighborhood driven as opposed to house or builder driven. It's not as a competitive of a market. When we looked down here less than a year ago, this was the only house that fit our criteria that was on the market (this was April) so we had to move on it within a day.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:16 AM

91 posts, read 299,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
JulieL,

Does your Real Estate experience/business as of late mirror what the paper reported? How is time on market, and selling vs asking price? Is this time of year a terrible time to sell?

Are you getting folks from Honda interested in settling in Columbus, and where do you think this wave of new Cummins folks will want to settle in Columbus?

Thanks.
Actually, December was one of our top selling months for 2007. Now that we are in 2008, things are heating up since all the holidays are behind us. DOM for my company average were 112 for 2006, but I haven't received the statistics for 2007 yet. I do know, if you are wanting to sell, February is the time to be putting your home on the market. March is the time where people get the itching to "really" start looking. Putting it on too early may result in too many open houses then the home gets "stale" on the market, but if you put it on in mid-February I think you will be suprised of your out-come. Remember, there is more to selling a home than just this. You have to get coverage......coverage...coverage, the price has to be competitive, and the right realtor for the job.
As far as the asking price vs selling price, Columbus is getting 96% of the asking price...this is very good.
Yes, we are starting to get some Honda people. Right now, we are getting people that are in charge of setting up the plant. Just speculation, but the Honda plant prospects will pick up in the next couple of months.
The Cummins wave will settle all around Columbus. Tipton Lakes and Parkside Area tend to be the hot areas, but all of Columbus is nice.

Have a Great Day!!!

JulieL

Old 01-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks Julie for your insight.

We reside at Tipton lakes, and it's good to know that it is still regarded as a desirable place. DOM seems a bit long, but then again, my last home sold in less than a month so perhaps my expectations are not in line with reality. We may be pondering a job related move around the end of January, so it is good to hear that Feb is a good time to list.

Curious, what is considered a "normal" percentage of appreciation for my area, say over the last three years?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,960 times
Hi- My son graduates in May. Was offered a entry-level contract engineering position at Cummins in Columbus...I know this forum geared towards Real Estate, but I've searched for hours looking for advice regarding working there, do contracts end up working for Cummins direct...because it's a huge move for him. If anyone could offer insight..or direct me to a forum or message board, that would be great.
Thanks,
Mom

Old 02-15-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLLEGEGRADMOM View Post
Hi- My son graduates in May. Was offered a entry-level contract engineering position at Cummins in Columbus...I know this forum geared towards Real Estate, but I've searched for hours looking for advice regarding working there, do contracts end up working for Cummins direct...because it's a huge move for him. If anyone could offer insight..or direct me to a forum or message board, that would be great.
Thanks,
Mom
On the contrary, real estate advertising is not allowed here. We tend to get a lot of relocation folks who are interested in the area and we offer .. ahem ... objective advice

I would imagine that if your son does well at his contract position, they may offer him full time employment with the company. Sorry for a stock and vague answer like that. It's a great company to work for and it's the bright shining star in the automotive industry whose star doesn't look to be fading anytime soon (fingers crossed ... I don't want to move again!).

Is he still mulling it over, or has he decided to come on board? Will he be relocating for the job?

Hope that helps a little ..

Old 02-15-2008, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,960 times
Hi Chris,

He interned at Ford Motor this past summer, and has an offer with them (contract company) as well, yet, diesel is "his" thing. Cummins is his dream job. I do believe he will start in the Call Center where he will advise on Customer Diesel Service issues... He's a super ambitious kid, and realizes that going through the contract service is the only way to get in the door and prove himself. I'm so glad for your thumbs up on the company. I was just a little leery about him moving down there, then two weeks later, they decide to downsize. I see that Cummins is highly diversified, which is good.

Another issue he bounces off of me is.... Is there any room for negotiation on what the Contract Company offers? We are getting conflicting opinions on this. Some say...negotiate for more, negotiate for moving expenses, and others say....you don't want to upset them, and have them turn you down....take the offer as it stands.

Thanks so much for any input....I'm a business professional myself, not a meddling mom LOL....but haven't ever been in this position before with regards to contract employment...and moving to another state.

Another thought....how are the transplants treated in the area? I know in Michigan...we have alot of transplants...but from other countries if you know what I mean. This kid is a Diesel head, and wrench through and through...so he should fit in.

Thanks So Much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>