Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 PM

30 posts, read 109,617 times

Advertisements

Help! My family and I will be moving to NE Indy in the next few months. We have researched the areas to DEATH and still cannot make a decision. Fishers seems to be "up and coming" and blueprinting their town center around Carmel's. I've heard Carmel High School is awesome but WAY too big and a lot of kids get lost in the shuffle. People are "snooty" and "snobby" in Carmel. I just want a nice home in a nice neighborhood - my husband will be working near the airport so travel time/traffic is a concern. How about middle schools? Are they on the same level as the high schools? I also understand sales tax is 6.00% in Indy and there is a state tax of 3.40%, correct? What about registering your vehicles? I've heard that is VERY expensive..in the hundreds of dollars? Any suggestions/comments/ideas would be VERY much appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 01:06 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
Personally I would live in Plainfield or Avon if husband was working at airport. For the times you will want to shop at a high end store, you can drive to the Northside (if what you want is not available on the west side) but to make him do the drive and eat the expense each and every day, poor boy and poor budget.

There are some tremendous subdivisions in all price ranges and very modern schools on the west side. Land is even still available.

You have the taxes about right. Vehicles have a license fee and an ad valorum (based on value) tax each year. Gets less as the car gets older until it finally is about $50 I think. Not enough to make a difference in living here though. Did they tell you about our school book rental fees? That is an interesting fee for public school. Again, our low cost of living helps with these unusual fees.

it is going to be a good long time before Fishers has a "downtown". It is only in planning stages and they dont even have the land yet. With the downturn in the economy, anything is possible.

I think you will find people the same in Fishers, Carmel, zionsville, Avon, Plainfield, etc. Your generalizations of "people in Carmel are snooty and snobby" will not get you far. There are families of all income levels all trying to get their kids a good education and support their families in Carmel.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

30 posts, read 109,617 times
When I wrote about the Carmel folks being snobby I was only quoting what I've read on many other forum sites. It bothers me because my family is not that way. In any event, thank you for the information. We had looked at Avon but weren't too sure about the schools..perhaps we need to check again!!!

Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Avon and Plainfield schools are good. Another option would be the Center Grove school district of Greenwood. If you live close to 37, getting to the airport isn't too bad. I think that would be a better commute than from Fishers/Carmel. I lived in Fishers and the commute to the airport from there would be yuck.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:18 PM

24 posts, read 147,132 times
I live in Fishers and the drive to the airport is long. I am moving to Carmel soon. I don't think the people are snobby either. Houses are in all price ranges. Carmel is a little closer to the airport, my friends in Zionsville loves those schools too. There is some nice new construction over there to look at too.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,736,533 times
I agree that Avon would be a good choice for you. The schools are good, and the town is very affordable. You can find homes in every price range, from low to high. In terms of shopping you can find anything you need, or have a quick drive to get to it. My husband works near the airport, and the commute is fine.

Look for a direct message from me

Old 02-09-2008, 11:44 AM

131 posts, read 533,435 times
My family just moved to Fishers. We love it. I work in Carmel and the commute is nothing. One thing is for sure, you will get a lot more house for your money in Fishers.

There is a lot more going on too for restaurants, malls and stuff. We like it and Fishers school are great too. And that's coming from Madison, WI where they claim the be the best schools.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,479,707 times
the commute to Carmel would be nothing from Fishers, but the commute to the airport is major hassle and expense.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 PM

24 posts, read 147,132 times
Some think houses in Carmel are cheaper, and the taxes can bounce around so you have to check for yourself. There is certainly a lot to look at in all price ranges, from resales to new construction. It is hard to pick just one house. Carmel has more commercial tax base than Fishers.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,498 times
losercore....
I'd love to get some input from you about the differences between living in Madison, Wi & Fishers Indiana. We live in Madison, have for the last 20 years, but are planning on making a retirement move in a couple of years. Our options right now are Plainfield, Brownsburg & Greenwood(suburbs of Indy), as well as Lafayette Indiana. I have nothing against Fishers, Noblesville, Carmel but I have heard the traffic is pretty bad & the area is getting quite congested. The other choice we're considering is Eastern Tn., Johnson City/Kingsport area. I've got someone giving me info who recently moved to Tn. from Columbus, In.
I'd to hear what you have to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana