Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 AM

141 posts, read 217,428 times

Advertisements

I grew up in South Bend, and back then we never observed DST, which was a huge pain. In the winter, we were the same time as Michigan, and in the Summer, we would be the same time as Chicago. It would confuse everyone, especially people that bordered Northwest Indiana counties that had to commute across time zones. At least now it is consistent with the entire state observing DST. Now, I live in Northwest Indiana, and I could not imagine being on Eastern time when there are so many people that commute to Chicago, not to mention all of our Television stations and news comes from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 AM

615 posts, read 1,374,743 times
Default Indiana should be completely on Eastern time - it is better for business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
ALL of China uses only one time zone!

If they can do it why can't Indiana?
Very strange... but it makes a good bar bet, yeah?
If states want to attract more businesses, they should consider moving to the Eastern Time Zone. Global cloud marketing software company Emarsys selected Indianapolis for its North American headquarters in part because the city is in the Eastern Time Zone.

Time Zone Helped Indy Land Tech HQ

Old 05-03-2016, 09:34 AM

119 posts, read 154,764 times
I think the most frustrating part of the time zone problem is that there is no clear marker to tell you you are in Eastern or Central time. Drive through KY and there are highway signs when you cross one time to the other on I-65. We should be glad they did away with Indiana time as was mentioned before on how confusing it was.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:39 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,575 times
Several states have time zones splitting through them. South Dakota is split right down the middle, with the western half in the Mountain time zone and the eastern half in Central time zone. North Dakota has a similar split, and Nebraska has the western 1/3rd or so in the Mountain time zone.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
I think the most frustrating part of the time zone problem is that there is no clear marker to tell you you are in Eastern or Central time. Drive through KY and there are highway signs when you cross one time to the other on I-65. We should be glad they did away with Indiana time as was mentioned before on how confusing it was.
There used to be one on I-80/90 in northern Indiana as you crossed from St. Joseph County to Laporte County that told you you were entering CST or EST. I assume it's still there. I haven't driven that in years.

Last edited by ischyros; 05-03-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 05-03-2016, 10:49 AM

119 posts, read 154,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
There used to be one on I-80/90 in northern Indiana as you crossed from St. Joseph count to Laporte County that told you you were entering CST or EST. I assume it's still there. I haven't driven that in years.
Same here.. Living in Lake county, my only driving east is on US 30 to Ft Wayne and you are not notified on that route. I know 65 has nothing to notify drivers the change as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:52 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,970 times
Posting again - time zones throughout the US:
http://www.janluther.com/wp-content/...me%20Zones.jpg

Indiana's time zones - eccentric?

Red (central) Blue (Eastern)
http://www.sstibbs.com/scott/images/indiana.jpg

Old 07-02-2018, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
Default Time zones

They should of put Indianapolis on the Central time zone, so its not confusing. If they done that, the sun will set at 8:16 pm in the summer time instead of 9:16 pm. The sun will come up at 5:15 am instead of 6:15 am. The sun will set in the winter time at 4:20 pm instead of 5:20 pm. The sun will come up in the winter time at 7:06 pm instead of 8:06 pm. More daylight in Indianapolis in the morning is good, because it is too dangerous to go to school in the dark, so that's why the Indiana Government needs to Indianapolis on the Central time zone. The North Dakota Government should also put the whole state of North Dakota on the Mountain time zone, so there is no confusion.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:49 PM

19 posts, read 20,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greymatter46 View Post
ALL of China uses only one time zone!

If they can do it why can't Indiana?
Very strange... but it makes a good bar bet, yeah?
Thirteen states have two time zones. But none have three.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:55 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketball Mal View Post
They should of put Indianapolis on the Central time zone, so its not confusing. If they done that, the sun will set at 8:16 pm in the summer time instead of 9:16 pm. The sun will come up at 5:15 am instead of 6:15 am. The sun will set in the winter time at 4:20 pm instead of 5:20 pm. The sun will come up in the winter time at 7:06 pm instead of 8:06 pm. More daylight in Indianapolis in the morning is good, because it is too dangerous to go to school in the dark, so that's why the Indiana Government needs to Indianapolis on the Central time zone. The North Dakota Government should also put the whole state of North Dakota on the Mountain time zone, so there is no confusion.
I am not seeing a benefit here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana