Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 08:28 PM

30 posts, read 233,621 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody. I was looking at a college in Indiana. It is called Goshen College. Could you guys tell me about this place form a more local point of view. Is the college good or bad? Are people pretty successful going here. I am down to about 7 or 8 colleges and this is one of them. I wanted to go here because they have a nice study abroad program. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 07:10 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Goshen is affiliated with the Mennonite church. I went to a school not far from there, Manchester college. What I remember is all the Goshen and Grace College students crashing our dances on the weekends because dancing wasn't allowed on their campuses. Maybe that's changed now. I think Goshen has a strong nursing and teaching program.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:02 PM

7 posts, read 22,255 times
Talking Graduated from GC in 2000

hiya...
I attended GC from 1995 to 2000.
The previous poster is right, GC is a mennonite college and it's studies and environment stronlgly reflect the mennonite value and ethos.
First of all, what are your expectations?? Goshen College is not a 'party school'. If that's what you're looking for you'd be happier at ball state and a few of my friends actually transferred to ball state after their fresh man year because they found Goshen college too boring.
When I was there there was school dances, however alcohol and smoking was not allowed on campus and it was enforced pretty strenuously. But, there were awesome parties off-campus and some floors with lax RAs were a lot of fun to hang out with.

The study abroad program is an awesome component of GC's curriculum. I was a foreign student so i was not required to participate in it, however at that time, (the study abroad program is known as SST) the locations were Dominican republic, West Africa, Costa Rica and more recently i know there have been programs in Cuba and China. My wife went to Costa Rica and she loved it, the first part she was in San Jose and the latter part of the semester she was hosted by a rural farm family whose farm was near the beach and she said that was an amazing experience.

GC has an excellent nursing and pre-med program...
Anyways, let me know if you need more info...and good luck!

Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM

30 posts, read 233,621 times
i know I sound stupid but what is mennmonite? Is it related to Amish tradition? So you said that some people found it pretty boring. What do people do for recreation there? What were some things people did after they graduated. It seems like you graduated in 5 years too. Do most students graduate in 4 or 5 years? i do want a school with a good study abroad program. I am a bit worried about the small clas size. I definitely want to go to a small college but I don't know what 'too small' is. thanks

Old 02-28-2008, 06:31 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Manchester College also has a strong study abroad program. It's called the Bretheren College Abroad. Manchester also isn't as conservative, being Church of the Bretheren affiliated, it's downright liberal ... I call my time there as my hippie college years. The Mennonites are what I call Amish Lite. They are an offshoot of the Amish Church. Goshen is still a quality institution of higher learning. Very civic oriented, which I think is a good thing.

Goshen iteself is a small town. Honestly, when I was growing up in Bremen, close to Goshen, I never even knew there was a college there!

Have you had your campus visit yet?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 72,481 times
Excellent school! If you basically live in a "bubble". Which is good cause there isn't many distractions. Everyone studies hard, but there is always parties on the weekends.
You use bikes in getting anywere! Hope you like it as much as we did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana