U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 AM

90 posts, read 303,605 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family and I are considering a move from Tampa, Florida to the great state of Indiana. Based on the information I give you, I was hoping you might be able to recommend a city or two that would perhaps best meet our needs.

1.) I am 31 and have been married for 10 years this May (wife 31 also). We have 3 children, all boys, ages 9, 7, and 2. I am a registered Independent and my wife is a Republican. That said, our politics lean slightly "right" but definitely NOT faaar right (ie. Rush Limbaugh). I work in Real Estate but will be looking for something outside of this, but more than likely in sales. My wife currently is the office manager for a large dental practice here in Tampa. She'd be looking for something in the same field.

2.) I have been seriously considering returning to school to finish my degree so I'd like to have some educational options available to me in the area.

3.) We are a Christian family. We'd be looking to join a church family in Indiana. We are pretty open to most protestant denominations and a non-denominational christian church would suit us fine as well.

4.) Both my wife and I are huge sports fans and our kids play sports as well. My first love is pro football and my #2 is Basketball. I know that you guys have both and that's great. However, we'd rather live outside of Indianapolis and still be within driving distance of the stadium and arena. The traffic and over-crowding here in Tampa has totally turned us off to big city living. We'd prefer to live in a mid-sized city or slightly smaller, but not too small if you know what I mean.

5.) One of our biggest issues of concern is crime. It's pretty bad down here in Tampa and it is part of the reason we are moving. My question to you is, what about crime and affordability? Is there anywhere up there where one might avoid high crime and yet still be able to buy a decent home for around $130,000 -$200,000?We would be looking to rent an apartment before buying so we can take our time exploring the housing market.

6.) Tornadoes... how strong do they typically get and how frequently do they disrupt lives in Indiana?

7.) Lastly, I've had some people tell me that there is a rather bad "Meth" problem in Indiana. Is this true and how bad is it there? Would you say it's out of control or worse than anywhere else in the mid-west?

I thank you all in advance for any advice you might have for me!

-BIG Thanks!!!-
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:17 AM

3,948 posts, read 10,549,432 times
I vote for Indianapolis.
1) more likely to get job. Indy has the governmental base and the business base.
2)IUPUI and all the surrounding universities/colleges. My hubby got his degree at IU.
3)Schools are good and therefore kids would get a good education.
4)Good quality housing is available for all price ranges both rental and purchase.
5)costs are generally considered to be low.
6)airport for escape
7)cultural activities
8)brand new stadium for the Colts and Fieldhouse for the Pacers and Victory Field for baseball. All downtown and easily accessible.
9)all kinds of activities
10)pretty stable for family and all kinds of politics.
11)crime is low. I live downtown and have not experienced any problems. Neighborhoods are quiet. The "problem" areas are well known and you would not be looking there.
12)Lots of active churchs. Both small and large of all denominations.

I am sure the most important item for a family right now is jobs.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:19 AM

I did not answer tornado question. We get them but they are infrequent. We have not had one that took out major neighborhoods and the sirens and warnings are great. We have tests each week (I live right underneath one).

I have lived here 30 years and they seem to do more damage in rural areas. I am not afraid to live in Indy based on tornados. Personally I would be more afraid in the states of the plains and perhaps some areas of Tenn.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:22 AM

Sorry for the 3rd post. Long night. For real estate, check out mibor.com and check your price range for different counties. It is the whole area multiple listing service and a good way to "get a feel" even if you dont know much about the area.

The only one you need more info on is Marion because of the possibility of questionable neighborhoods.

It will answer your questions of housing prices.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:24 AM

17,700 posts, read 37,637,943 times
Come to Columbus!!! Well, I'd suggest you visit the Indy area and then come down to Columbus. We pretty much meet all your needs. I grew up in northern Indiana, lived near Fort Wayne, Bloomington, NW Indiana, burbs of Indy and now Columbus. This is my favorite place I've lived other than Chicago. It's a great place to raise a family, tornados don't really affect us much because of the ... get this .. hills of Brown County, crime .. mainly petty crime. Meth ... I haven't seen anything, but I read about it in the paper about it mainly in the country .... great schools, small town, not suburban (which I LOVE), traffic .. what traffic ... outlet mall a few minutes away, great culture, architecture (6th in the nation) ... I take my kids to the symphony (they are 7, 6 & 3 ... pllllllllllllllllllllaydates!!!). Sports crazy place. I love it here.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:38 PM

621 posts, read 1,310,312 times
Agree with Domergurl... I have lived in several places in Indiana being a northeast transplant, and now living in Columbus has been the best.

Columbus has a refined international feel by virtue of the numerous international firms of the area, the economy seems to be booming, and the city has a surprising array of quality cultural programs year round. The most "dangerous" places of Columbus would be "normal" for a lot of places where I grew up. Crime for me is not even a thought most of the time. I am a bit ticked by the recent property tax hikes, but at least the market seems fairly stable.

Cummins is going to be adding 500 new jobs soon, a brand new Honda auto plant is being built just about 20 miles east of the city, and I heard a new financial services firm is coming to Columbus with another 100 good paying jobs. Plenty of decent shopping close to/in town, close to Indy, tons of outdoor activities... I just signed the real estate contract for the sale of my home for an out of state job move, but the move has nothing to do with anything Columbus is lacking. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse (Godfather sound off).

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 PM

90 posts, read 303,605 times
Thank you all for the great information! Columbus and Fishers sound good to me. If anyone else would like to chime in, then by all means do!

Thanks again!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 AM

17,700 posts, read 37,637,943 times
We also lived in Fishers for 4 years and it was fine. Sterile suburban, but fine.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM

91 posts, read 298,328 times
Hello SwampChmp1,
I have been a resident of Columbus for nearly 38 years. Columbus is a great place to live. Flourishing City if I don't say so myself! Real Estate is doing very well in Columbus with the 500 new jobs with Cummins, Honda plant in Greensburg, and other businesses wanting to make Columbus there home. There are 2 or 3 large Nondenominational Christian Churches in Columbus that are very involved in the community. We have an IUPUC, Indiana Business College, Ivy Tech, and Indiana Wesleyan College. Crime is not heard of around here like in the big cities. Sad to say but meth problems are everywhere in the US. I wouldn't say that Columbus, as a whole, has a problem more so surrounding areas...you hear more of it. There are plenty of things to do in Columbus but if you like the big city life...Indy is only 35-45 minutes from here and Louisville 60 minutes.

Hope this helps with,

JulieL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana