Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 PM

4,505 posts, read 4,615,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Accurate, in 2011 we saw 109 inches of snow. Average snowfall here is about 70 inches, thanks in great part to our proximity to the Lake which produces Lake Effect snow. 35 miles south of here they are hardly affected by it, and about 45 miles east of here they are hardly affected also.
109 inches. Thats more than an inch day thru an entire winter season, that is, if you figure approximately 90 days per season. Even 70 inches of snow sounds like a heck of a lot of snow. I know it's more than I would want to deal with on a frequent basis thru out the winter, especially if I was the one that had to get up early every cold winter morning in order to shovel the snow that fell over night out of the driveway so I could go to work.

With that much snow, I can only assume the city of South Bend does an outstanding job keeping the city streets safe and clear of snow asap after it falls. If I lived there, as a taxpayer, I would expect nothing less from the city street department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 08:55 PM

43 posts, read 55,969 times
Wow, I did not realize the crime was so bad on the west side. Even more concerning is that I would be working just off Lincoln way west near the airport.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
Wow, I did not realize the crime was so bad on the west side. Even more concerning is that I would be working just off Lincoln way west near the airport.
One thing you have to understand about most of the crime in South Bend, it is not random crime, for the most part. Many of the aggravated assault, murders, shootings, and even burglaries are against people who know one another. In other words, it is mostly family vs family and gang vs gang activity. I work at the airport myself, the area immediately south of the airport is okay, anything east of the airport is pretty bad and should be avoided when it comes to living in. I drive down Lincolnway West every day, and I don't fear for my life driving down the road, I'm not fearful of carjacking or anything like that, I just know the neighborhoods themselves are not nice places to live.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
Am I misunderstand this map that shows almost the opposite being true?

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Also, as I said previously, I was driving right through the center of town on 931 less than 1000 feet from Notre Dame and it looked like an awful place to me. Looks can be deceiving, and maybe 1000 feet away there were rich folks, but I couldn't tell from where I was. The map linked shows the immediate area around the campus as being "alright" but anything around it is not so great, with some of it the worst in the city.

Fort Wayne is like this too in places. Foster Park is the OLD money in the town, but only IMMEDIATELY on the park. The surrounding area is some of the worst property in the city.
I cannot speak for what the map shows, or what year that data is from, but I'm telling you from firsthand experience that well over 70% of the crime in South Bend happens between the airport and Downtown, east of Downtown accounts for very little crime. The only area I can think of on the east side is about 7 or 8 blocks south of Notre Dame on Eddy Street, there's a short stretch there when you're going north towards Notre Dame that is pretty rundown looking. Otherwise I'd walk down almost any street in the city that is east of downtown.

The neighborhoods immediately south and south east of Downtown are pretty gritty too, they really don't start to become okay again until you get south of Ewing street.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnHiker55 View Post
Have you found a place to live or rent yet?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 PM

43 posts, read 55,969 times
I was looking at a place just off Lincoln way west. That's what concerns me

Old 10-12-2017, 06:45 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,157 times
Because there isn't much traffic in the South Bend area, you don't need to live right on top of your workplace. Decent apartments in safe neighborhoods are very affordable -- you might consider expanding your housing search to areas that are less marginal.

In general, you can be pretty sure that if the price is considerably lower than elsewhere in the area, you don't want to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana