Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 PM

382 posts, read 512,879 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the re-post from another forum. I was advised to post here instead. Mod note: at OP's request, the other thread has been deleted.

----

I've just accepted a new job in Elkhart and am looking around at places to live. I generally prefer a quiet surrounding and am a home body so I don't need any sort of exciting night life or culture. Just a quiet place to do my thing.

I'll be moving as a home owner so apartments are out and I really need a 2 car garage but I'm not ready to buy another house yet (who knows how long it will take to sell the one I have). I'm having a pretty tough time finding something that isn't either in what appears to be a bad neighborhood (crime data wise) or is something insane like $3,000/mo on some lake front. I'll also say that on my last drive out of Elkhart my GPS took me through Goshen and that was an absolute disaster at rush hour, so something NOT to the south is what I'm thinking. In fact, something in southern Michigan may actually suit me better, but there are no major towns to search around in that area so I'm having a tough time coming up with anything.

So... where should I be looking to live and how should I be going about it? Craigslist, zillow, etc are all almost exclusively South Bend centric or trailers for rent and that won't work for me. Are the local papers a good way to go? Are there realtors in the area that represent landlords?

Any feedback would be very appreciated!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-18-2017 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 05:37 AM

32 posts, read 37,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
Sorry for the re-post from another forum. I was advised to post here instead.

----

I've just accepted a new job in Elkhart and am looking around at places to live. I generally prefer a quiet surrounding and am a home body so I don't need any sort of exciting night life or culture. Just a quiet place to do my thing.

I'll be moving as a home owner so apartments are out and I really need a 2 car garage but I'm not ready to buy another house yet (who knows how long it will take to sell the one I have). I'm having a pretty tough time finding something that isn't either in what appears to be a bad neighborhood (crime data wise) or is something insane like $3,000/mo on some lake front. I'll also say that on my last drive out of Elkhart my GPS took me through Goshen and that was an absolute disaster at rush hour, so something NOT to the south is what I'm thinking. In fact, something in southern Michigan may actually suit me better, but there are no major towns to search around in that area so I'm having a tough time coming up with anything.

So... where should I be looking to live and how should I be going about it? Craigslist, zillow, etc are all almost exclusively South Bend centric or trailers for rent and that won't work for me. Are the local papers a good way to go? Are there realtors in the area that represent landlords?

Living in Michigan while working in Elkhart isn't smart. Taxes will smack you and Michigan has the highest auto insurance rates in America and crappy roads.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:45 AM

2,156 posts, read 5,489,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_is_here View Post
Sorry for the re-post from another forum. I was advised to post here instead.

----

For future reference (regarding the original post on the Northwest Indiana forum), NWI consists of Lake, Porter, La Porte, Newton, Jasper, and Starke counties. Roughly the same counties that are included in the Central time zone in this part of the state (although in some parts of La Porte and Starke counties, your phone may switch to Eastern time depending on where you stand.

I am not the most familiar with that area (known as "Michiana" as it is where southwestern Michigan and northern Indiana meet) but I do know that as far as prices go, Mishawaka should be somewhere in the middle and is decently safe in most parts. Granger which is north of Mishawaka and northwest of Elkhart is the more upscale suburban area of the South Bend/Elkhart area but you should still be able to find some offerings that are under $3000/mo. The northern area of Elkhart close to the IN/MI border should provide some options although it may feel a little more rural if okay with that. One thing about this area is that with the exception of Granger, things can change from an urban area to a rural area very quickly without much in between.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentsir55 View Post
Living in Michigan while working in Elkhart isn't smart. Taxes will smack you and Michigan has the highest auto insurance rates in America and crappy roads.
You may have a good point there... I was still looking at this through the lens of a contracting job I had in Michigan over the winter where those issues didn't apply to me since it was in no way my legal residence. It was just a place I worked, and as long as you do that for less than 12 months, you're not a Michigan resident. I'll have to weigh that carefully going forward.

The "good" news is that I can only even find like 2 rentals in Michigan that are even anywhere near Elkhart, so the issue is sort of fixing itself at the moment.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Depending on how far you are willing to commute, eastern St. Joseph county has only been modestly developed over the last 40 years, it's mostly middle income subdivions and county roads that have filled up with houses. Eastern Mishawaka is very suburuban and sprawled out as well, and if you don't mind a bit more traffic, and are looking for a nicer and newer house I'd recommend Granger.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:44 PM

The biggest problem is that I'm having a hard time finding ANYTHING to rent that isn't like 1 bedroom apartment or a house they want too much money for with a 1 car garage. If I'm going to settle on the 1 car (which is actually a big problem for me) I don't want to pay through the nose to get it too.

I'm OK with about 20 minute commute for a rental. If I'm renting, I don't really want to drive more than that since in my mind I should be able to find something close enough that I don't need to.

Thanks for the feedback about the area. I've read nice things about Granger elsewhere too.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,265,730 times
Don't count out Goshen. You can easily take country roads to get to Elkhart and stay off the main highway. Or take CR 17 depending on where in Elkhart you will be needing to go. Goshen is a bit of a disaster right now because of construction with the Kercher Rd bridge out and US 33 closed. Once those are reopened, traffic should definitely improve.

That said, eastern St. Joe county is nice as well. If Granger is too far northwest, you can look into Osceola as well, which is directly west of Elkhart on the county line. Or go the other way and look into Bristol, which is east/northeast of Elkhart. It's a pretty small town and I'm not quite sure what the housing market is like.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:51 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,326 times
Elkhart/Goshen has grown significantly for the last several decades. There is a reason for the lack of inventory in housing, because there are literally so many jobs available in the county, that people are moving here from nearby counties and other states as well for good paying jobs in the RV industry.

Elkhart has a little more crime than Goshen, but Elkhart has some nice neighborhoods in the city. All areas of Elkhart have nice pockets of neighborhoods. The only real issue you have to worry about are the near downtown neighborhoods, with the exception of the north and east sides. Stay away from the area immediately south of downtown and west of downtown.

Goshen is essentially violent crime free and has been growing significantly, hence the reason for all the road construction. However, CR 17 connects Elkhart and Goshen and is a 4-lane roadway. Goshen is more desirable to live in than Elkhart, and Goshen's downtown has won many awards for connectivity, low vacancy, and many different options for dining and entertainment.

South Bend/Mishawaka/Granger is the regional hub of the Michiana area, where most of the major shopping occurs. It is the 2nd largest commercial strip in Indiana, with the exception of Indianapolis and Fort Wayne. Like many have said, there are many neighborhoods in western Elkhart County and eastern St. Joseph County that would be a suitable commute to Elkhart.

Also, don't forget about Jefferson Township, which has about 20 subdivisions in the rural area between Elkhart and Goshen. This is the fastest growing area of Elkhart County. Many nice houses and low crime.

Welcome to the area! Let me know if there are any other questions.

The small towns of Nappanee, Wakarusa, Bristol, and Middlebury may be other options to look at as well. All of them have many people who commute to Elkhart daily for work.

Also, Elkhart is the manufacturing hub of the region, and perhaps Indiana. Thus, lots of blue collar workers, but Elkhart is definitely bustling right now. And yes, Elkhart's population balloons by nearly 20,000 more for workers commuting in to the city from all different types of cities near and far.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,326 times
Also, Goshen was just named the community of the year in Indiana.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 PM

Thank you for the local info. I'm really not finding much of a lack of housing inventory, I just can't beg steal or lie a 2 car garage and that's fairly mandatory for me (I was already counting on a 2 car AND storage units, but like 3 or 4 storage units gets very expensive AND super inconvenient). Those rentals are generally priced between $500-800/mo with a one car, but the houses are all OLD (generally 1960 or older). Really, any HOUSE you're renting for $500-$800/mo seems like a fair deal to me so in my mind there has just got to be stuff out there or I wouldn't even be seeing those.

I think I'm going to end up calling a few realtors next week and see if any represent clients with rental properties or maybe have some very motivated sellers that just aren't able to sell their homes immediately. I already know that no one wants to talk to anybody until they're in town but I'd like to limit my hotel stay to as short as possible (since that obviously eats money faster than anything).

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana