U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 09:23 PM

93 posts, read 86,462 times

Advertisements

Howdy,
My wife and I have been doing a lot of reading on CD about potential landing spots for retirement. We are getting close to making a road trip or two from our Detroit, MI suburban home to some cities and towns that seem like a good fit. We've been around the block enough to know that Indianapolis and parts South would be worth a serious look, as we have spent five years in Oklahoma City, OK as well as having vacationed in numerous other States.

Here's a little background info which may help:
We are lifelong Detroit suburbanites, currently living as far South of Detroit as possible while still being connected to civilization. Our city has a Ford Motor Co Plant along I-75, and every shopping convenience that a blue-collar couple could possibly need. Our little city is only 6 square miles, with a population of 12,000, and a housing density of 2,000 per square mile, but, our city is part of a much larger community of six to eight other contiguous cities - if and when we get the desire to do some driving. So, we are used to a reasonable number of conveniences, including a healthcare facility within a 15-30 minute drive.

We are in the market for a 1960-built or newer SFH on a standard city-sized lot or bigger(I can drive a riding lawn mower, drink beer, and listen to NPR) in the $130k-$150k neighborhood.

Based on what we've gleaned from CD, and how things seem to add up, our tentative itinerary will include, but is not limited to:

Greater Indianapolis (Greensburg/Shelbyville/Greenwood/Whiteland/Franklin),

Columbus, Bloomington,

Greater Evansville
(Newburgh/Chandler/Boonville),

Greater Louisville
(Corydon/Lanesville/Georgetown/Floyds Knobs/New Albany/Sellersburg/Charlestown/Madison).

Yeah, it's a process, but there's nothing like boots on the ground.

* Is it possible for anyone to look for similarities in this list of cities and towns as to how they might fit our suburban/downsized lifestyle?
We feel confident that the climate and Indiana way of life is a solid fit. We could definitely live in a smaller community provided we had 15-30 minute access to a reasonable sized Healthcare Facility and a "big-box" Home Improvement Store. An Outlet Mall and a reasonably-priced public golf course or two would be a big plus. Direct or immediate access to nightlife, museums, and State Parks is not a big factor, as we are willing to do some Sunday driving. The ability to avoid major traffic congestion would be a big positive, but we are realistic.

Right now, from the outside-looking-in, Columbus, IN looks like it has everything we would need and more. I'm sure that my wife would appreciate the proximity to the Outlet Mall near Edinburgh, and I could break out the sticks once in awhile.

* Using Columbus, IN as the default landing spot, how do you think it compares, for our purposes, to places like Greensburg, Greenwood, Franklin, Newburgh, Corydon, New Albany, Sellersburg, and Madison?
* Are there any other obvious options out there?
* Are there any particular areas or neighborhoods that come to mind that would be worth visiting and monitoring via Zillow, etc?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by SunnyJoe; 11-05-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:14 PM

6,877 posts, read 14,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJoe View Post
Howdy,
My wife and I have been doing a lot of reading on CD about potential landing spots for retirement. We are getting close to making a road trip or two from our Detroit, MI suburban home to some cities and towns that seem like a good fit. We've been around the block enough to know that Indianapolis and parts South would be worth a serious look, as we have spent five years in Oklahoma City, OK as well as having vacationed in numerous other States.

Here's a little background info which may help:
We are lifelong Detroit suburbanites, currently living as far South of Detroit as possible while still being connected to civilization. Our city has a Ford Motor Co Plant along I-75, and every shopping convenience that a blue-collar couple could possibly need. Our little city is only 6 square miles, with a population of 12,000, and a housing density of 2,000 per square mile, but, our city is part of a much larger community of six to eight other contiguous cities - if and when we get the desire to do some driving. So, we are used to a reasonable number of conveniences, including a healthcare facility within a 15-30 minute drive.

We are in the market for a 1960-built or newer SFH on a standard city-sized lot or bigger(I can drive a riding lawn mower, drink beer, and listen to NPR) in the $130k-$150k neighborhood.

Based on what we've gleaned from CD, and how things seem to add up, our tentative itinerary will include, but is not limited to:

Greater Indianapolis (Greensburg/Shelbyville/Greenwood/Whiteland/Franklin),

Columbus, Bloomington,

Greater Evansville
(Newburgh/Chandler/Boonville),

Greater Louisville
(Corydon/Lanesville/Georgetown/Floyds Knobs/New Albany/Sellersburg/Charlestown/Madison).

Yeah, it's a process, but there's nothing like boots on the ground.

* Is it possible for anyone to look for similarities in this list of cities and towns as to how they might fit our suburban/downsized lifestyle?
We feel confident that the climate and Indiana way of life is a solid fit. We could definitely live in a smaller community provided we had 15-30 minute access to a reasonable sized Healthcare Facility and a "big-box" Home Improvement Store. An Outlet Mall and a reasonably-priced public golf course or two would be a big plus. Direct or immediate access to nightlife, museums, and State Parks is not a big factor, as we are willing to do some Sunday driving. The ability to avoid major traffic congestion would be a big positive, but we are realistic.

Right now, from the outside-looking-in, Columbus, IN looks like it has everything we would need and more. I'm sure that my wife would appreciate the proximity to the Outlet Mall near Edinburgh, and I could break out the sticks once in awhile.

* Using Columbus, IN as the default landing spot, how do you think it compares, for our purposes, to places like Greensburg, Greenwood, Franklin, Newburgh, Corydon, New Albany, Sellersburg, and Madison?
* Are there any other obvious options out there?
* Are there any particular areas or neighborhoods that come to mind that would be worth visiting and monitoring via Zillow, etc?

Thanks for any input!

Columbus is too far north. There's a HUGE difference between central IN where Columbus is, and S. Indiana near Louisville. Especially in weather, snow, and ice!

I really think you'd like greater Louisville better. Sellersburg is a nice newer area....Fuzzy Zoeller has a championship golf course in that area. The regional outlet mall is 40 mins from there and blows Edinburgh out of the water (much newer) :

https://www.theoutletshoppesofthebluegrass.com/

You'd also be close (10 mins) to a smaller mall (greentree) with all the basics such as Dillard's and any big box store you could dream of. Louisville's two main regional malls are only 20 mins away, and of course Louisvilel itself is a great place to visit for its cultural amenities, hospitals, and restaurants/hotels, and tourism.

New Albany is a neat historic town with a rejuvenated downtown....it feels more like a small town, yet it is part of a greater metro. Ditto for Jeffersonville.

Columbus is pretty much a stand alone, isolated town. Although its a very nice town, it's not SOUTHERN Indiana.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:14 PM

Thanks Peter1948!
Yeah, the shopping thing is kind of a big deal with "my better half". Gotta keep her happy. She's been telling me all of her life that she could live out in the boondocks, but I think I know better than that. I appreciate the tip.
I do a lot of traveling for work, but it's still hard to get a feel for an area without actually seeing it. I'm pretty familiar with Fort Wayne, but nothing South of that.

We will be taking a road trip soon, and you can see that we will start in Greensburg, then Greenwood, Columbus, Bloomington, Newburgh, then finish in Corydon, New Albany, Sellersburg, and finally Madison.
I'm interested in seeing the West side of New Albany, just before the roads start heading for Floyds Knobs, Georgetown, and Lanesville. Sellersburg is also high on the list. We'll be sure to check out downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville too, as well as take a swing thru the West side of Louisville, The Highlands, etc.

I keep getting drawn back to either Newburgh or New Albany. Sellersburg might be the ticket. We gotta get a lay of the land. Really looking forward to the trip. We probably would want to be near the places that you mentioned. I will plot the whole thing out in order to see those that you mentioned as well as some others. Location, Location, Location. She's a professional shopper... Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL! I actually kinda get a kick out of it.
And I know that the weather would be a bit better too.

THX!

Last edited by SunnyJoe; 11-06-2017 at 09:46 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 08:14 AM

8,428 posts, read 14,970,422 times
Newburgh is a nice little town. It is a suburb of Evansville, but doesn't have the same suburban feel of a place like Troy or Westland. The riverfront is fairly active, and there are some nice shops and restaurants in central Newburgh. Most of the suburby stuff is along the Lloyd Expressway (Highway 66). Newburgh has a small town vibe to it still, a reflection of the metro area it resides in.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:57 AM

Thanks!
Newburgh sounds like a nice place.
We will definitely take a look at the whole area. I appreciate the tip. One of the CD posters(sorry, but I forgot which one) said that he had spent something like 35 years in SoCal and recently moved back to Indiana, choosing to buy or build a house on a one-acre lot in Newburgh.
When you read something like that, it really makes you sit up and take notice.

Here it is, from San Diego to Newburgh:

"Hey there Desert Dave. My situation was similar to yours. I was raised in Evansville, and went into the Navy when I was 17. I ended up spending 35 yrs in Socal. I lived in San Diego, Escondido and the last 18 years in Temecula. Where are you at?

I retired in 2012, sold my house in Temecula and built a house on a beautiful 1 acre lot in Warrick county (Newburgh). I cannot express with words how happy I am to be out of Cesspoolafornia ha ha and to be living back in Indiana. I love living here LOL. I got so tired of living in the dead, ugly desert, it took awhile for me to get used to the lush greenery here. You won't believe how much your cost of living will go down after you move back! We will leave the light on for ya!

Rick"

Last edited by SunnyJoe; 11-07-2017 at 09:07 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 36,273 times
If I had my choice between Newburgh and Floyd County, Indiana...I'd pick Floyd myself. Close to Louisville but with a slower pace feel. Some beautiful areas with the Knobs. You can find quite a bit in housing for $130-150K there.

Old 11-07-2017, 03:35 PM

6,877 posts, read 14,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyJoe View Post
Thanks Peter1948!
Yeah, the shopping thing is kind of a big deal with "my better half". Gotta keep her happy. She's been telling me all of her life that she could live out in the boondocks, but I think I know better than that. I appreciate the tip.
I do a lot of traveling for work, but it's still hard to get a feel for an area without actually seeing it. I'm pretty familiar with Fort Wayne, but nothing South of that.

We will be taking a road trip soon, and you can see that we will start in Greensburg, then Greenwood, Columbus, Bloomington, Newburgh, then finish in Corydon, New Albany, Sellersburg, and finally Madison.
I'm interested in seeing the West side of New Albany, just before the roads start heading for Floyds Knobs, Georgetown, and Lanesville. Sellersburg is also high on the list. We'll be sure to check out downtown New Albany and Jeffersonville too, as well as take a swing thru the West side of Louisville, The Highlands, etc.

I keep getting drawn back to either Newburgh or New Albany. Sellersburg might be the ticket. We gotta get a lay of the land. Really looking forward to the trip. We probably would want to be near the places that you mentioned. I will plot the whole thing out in order to see those that you mentioned as well as some others. Location, Location, Location. She's a professional shopper... Not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL! I actually kinda get a kick out of it.
And I know that the weather would be a bit better too.

THX!
One correction....do NOT go to the west end of the city of Louisville. West of 9th street is not all dangerous, but too dicey for a tourist. Downtown itself and east of 9th street is perfectly fine. The streets to see in downtown are main, market, and 4th.

Bardstown Rd and Frankfort Ave are the commercial strips to see Jack Fry's and Bourbon's Bistro are two spots to introduce you to "Louisville culture". Cherokee Park and Cherokee Rd around Willow Ave are just gorgeous. Sellersburg or Floyds Knobs are nice since they are close to all these amenities. Take your wife to the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass, its a gorgeous new mall with higher end fashions and IMO better deals than Edinburgh. Closer in to the city, Oxmoor is a really nice mall, and Mall St Matthews is pretty good as well. My wife adores the nearby Nordstrom Rack

Pearl St and Main street in New Albany are worth a drive, as is SPring Street in Jeffersonville. Jeffersonville downtown is best explored on foot, followed by a walk across the Big Four pedestrian bridge!

And there is a great shopping secret in Louisville....not only are there amazing small boutiques you will not find in the other towns you are searching (although New Albany has a great spot Dress and Dwell), but the 6PM Amazon (formerly Zappos) outlet in Shepherdsville, KY has amazing deals! My wife got a pair of 1000 dollar boots for 50 bucks!

Let me know.

Newburgh? Meh....its ok, but lacks the amenities of the other S Indiana towns which are backed by being in a major metro, but retain their small town vibes.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceDerwent View Post
If I had my choice between Newburgh and Floyd County, Indiana...I'd pick Floyd myself. Close to Louisville but with a slower pace feel. Some beautiful areas with the Knobs. You can find quite a bit in housing for $130-150K there.
Thanks!
I just did some more reading and that was kinda the conclusion that I came to as well. I think we need to be in Floyd County or very nearby. Louisville is a big drawing card and I think we would enjoy the "slower pace feel". We are used to a good bit of hustle and bustle, so anything less than that would be welcomed.
We're gonna start to look at real estate possibilities...
Thanks again!

Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
One correction....do NOT go to the west end of the city of Louisville. West of 9th street is not all dangerous, but too dicey for a tourist. Downtown itself and east of 9th street is perfectly fine. The streets to see in downtown are main, market, and 4th.

Bardstown Rd and Frankfort Ave are the commercial strips to see Jack Fry's and Bourbon's Bistro are two spots to introduce you to "Louisville culture". Cherokee Park and Cherokee Rd around Willow Ave are just gorgeous. Sellersburg or Floyds Knobs are nice since they are close to all these amenities. Take your wife to the Outlet Shoppes of the Bluegrass, its a gorgeous new mall with higher end fashions and IMO better deals than Edinburgh. Closer in to the city, Oxmoor is a really nice mall, and Mall St Matthews is pretty good as well. My wife adores the nearby Nordstrom Rack

Pearl St and Main street in New Albany are worth a drive, as is SPring Street in Jeffersonville. Jeffersonville downtown is best explored on foot, followed by a walk across the Big Four pedestrian bridge!

And there is a great shopping secret in Louisville....not only are there amazing small boutiques you will not find in the other towns you are searching (although New Albany has a great spot Dress and Dwell), but the 6PM Amazon (formerly Zappos) outlet in Shepherdsville, KY has amazing deals! My wife got a pair of 1000 dollar boots for 50 bucks!

Let me know.

Newburgh? Meh....its ok, but lacks the amenities of the other S Indiana towns which are backed by being in a major metro, but retain their small town vibes.
Wow. We really appreciate all of the great info! You can't buy this kinda stuff. You're practically planning our road trip. We will take your tips to heart, and be sure to come with lowered expectations so that we can come away impressed. We are not looking for Eldorado, just a little better climate, some friendly folks, a lower cost of living, and a reasonable number of amenities. We're feeling pretty good about Southern Indiana and all the possibilities of being fairly close to Louisville as well.
Thx!!!

Old 11-09-2017, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 36,273 times
The view of Louisville from Floyds Knobs, Indiana. New Albany is seen below the skyline of downtown Louisville.

And a pasture scene in Greenville, Indiana, about 25 minutes from Louisville. Rolling landscape. A few rural subdivisions off Old Vincennes Road and Highway 150.
Attached Thumbnails
Retire in Greenwood/Franklin, Columbus, Newburgh/Chandler, New Albany/Georgetown/Lanesville, Sellersburg, Madison, IN?-newalbanyfromknobs.jpg   Retire in Greenwood/Franklin, Columbus, Newburgh/Chandler, New Albany/Georgetown/Lanesville, Sellersburg, Madison, IN?-greenvillefarmland.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana