Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Anyone live near Mishawaka's downtown? There is a new $45m investment going in, there are new parks, etc. It would be very convenient to work and friends. But a couple things make me nervous:

1) The prices are all over the place. New townhouses selling for $400k+, but right near whole neighborhoods of $50-100k homes. Is this normal here?

2) There is a wastewater treatment plant literally right next to downtown. As in, 1500 feet upwind of the new Ironworks development. Has anyone ever had problems with odor?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 02:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc81912 View Post
Hi All,

Anyone live near Mishawaka's downtown? There is a new $45m investment going in, there are new parks, etc. It would be very convenient to work and friends. But a couple things make me nervous:

1) The prices are all over the place. New townhouses selling for $400k+, but right near whole neighborhoods of $50-100k homes. Is this normal here?

2) There is a wastewater treatment plant literally right next to downtown. As in, 1500 feet upwind of the new Ironworks development. Has anyone ever had problems with odor?

Thanks!
I live about half a mile northwest of this new development in downtown Mishawaka. I'm a native to the area, and have been living in a house built in 1923 for a little over 2 years now. My neighborhood is not designated a historic district, to my knowledge, but it is located right on the river-walk, and as such a lot of the homes have benefited in their value and the owners do a good job maintaining and updating them.

To your questions:

1. Yes, this is very normal. The $400k townhomes are all brand new, new riverfront property is prime market right now, it's in short supply and high demand, South Bend-Mishawaka is finally starting to tap the more lucrative expensive housing for the area, that demand is moving to more urban areas finally. The neighborhood directly west of Battell Park and south of Mishawaka Avenue should have most of the house values between $100-$200k, the neighborhood immediately north of Mishawaka Avenue is mostly $120k and under. The neighborhoods immediately south of Lincolnway lose value fast, but they are not dangerous, mostly older homes that have not been maintained as well. Downtown Mishawaka is seeing a bit of a resurgence.

2. I can see the waste water treatment plant from the river-walk, which is about 50 feet from my door. I'm on the north side of the river and on the embankment. There is no carried odor from the water treatment plant to my house. Only time I notice it is when I bike or run immediately past it on the river-walk.

However, there is a pet food factory about 1 mile southwest of downtown on the corner of Logan Street and Dragoon Trail, it's more common in the summer due to heat and humidity, but with a wind out of the south west you can sometimes smell the pet food factory. It's never overbearing, but it is noticeable.

Any other questions feel free to ask, I try to stay up to date on current events and the immediate area, and this new development I've been watching and tracking for years now, and it's right next to my neighborhood.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc81912 View Post
Hi All,

Thanks!
Did you ever make a decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: