Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:39 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Goodness! That doesn't sound fun at all. Sorry you're having this experience.

If you don't mind sharing, did you have trouble with asthma & allergies before you landed in Indiana? Just asking because, so far, none of us in my family has much allergy trouble here in SoCal...one of us maybe a little with a label of "borderline asthma" which manifests itself in the common cold or similar going straight to the lungs...and I'm wondering if we should expect problems as transplants amongst the trees & greenery.

Anyone else care to chime in? Would a "test drive" of the area in the autumn (say October) give us any idea?

I don't mean to hijack your Beaches thread, but since you brought up allergies...
No worries, you're not hijacking the thread, IL. I have severe asthma & am allergic to just about all trees... add in fabrics, meds, chemicals & many foods & it's been a lifelong issue. Never much of an issue when living in large cities with a lack of trees & greenery, but it's always a problem whenever I visit anyplace with lots of green. But, I have to hold my breath & run passed anyone smoking, car exhaust fumes, etc. Then again, I don't take meds, which is risky... I'm allergic to everything they give me & am now sans health insurance. Once I get a new job, I'll visit a respiratory doctor asap to find something.

As far as it being an issue for your family, it could be, but it depends upon what your family member is allergic to. In Denver, my asthma was the worst in my life, combined with dry air & altitude, daily nosebleeds for 2-yrs made me hightail it out of town. I've finally realized I need to only live at sea level, close to an ocean (where I've lived 90% of my life), where I have little problems with breathing. I left SoCal as my lease was up & I couldn't find a job... I'm just gonna have to make it work.

Unsure why you're saying Oct is the time to do a test visit, unless mold is an issue, but as rrah says below, allergies can be experienced all year long, as well as mold allergy. Also, how long does it take before your family member has problems? Sometimes I can visit places for a few days & be fine... once I've moved there, I couldn't breathe & at times I'm sticken with asthma the moment I get out of my car. The other thing is I can separate asthma from allergies, because the former exacerbates the latter.

Good luck, whatever you decide. IN is a lovely place & the people are very nice. But, instead of being outside & walking on the many trails around me this spring & summer, or even walking around my complex, I only leave for errands or appts, cuz I just can't breathe. I get an asthma attack ever single time I'm outside, even just the few min it takes to get mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Allergies are not just an autumn issue. My husband experiences most symptoms in the spring when pollen is flying around. Cooler temps in the fall make it better for him.

One can unexpectedly experience allergies anywhere. I'm not really allergic to anything in Indiana. When I go to FL or AZ in the spring though I will experience some mild allergic symptoms. It's nothing terrible for me, but I do notice it. Just different pollens floating around that my body attacks.
RR, I'm trying a new drastic diet for asthma & other assorted autoimmune problems I've had for decades. It's intermittent fasting (IMF), in which you eat only within a 4 or 8-hr window, then have nothing but water, black coffee/tea the rest of the time... the concept is that each time we eat, there's an insulin spike... & a carnivore diet (beef only). There are many different versions of it... some can eat beef, greens & dairy... others can only eat beef, chicken & fish... others beef only. Too long to explain it & not being a medical person, I can't articulate the whys & hows anyway.

I'm on day 4 & my asthma is almost 100% better. Yesterday, I ran up the 4 floors to my apt with only a very mild asthmatic reaction. Usually, it takes 20-min to stop my lungs from spasming & I'm so exhausted once I catch my breath, I have to lie down... it's gotten scary & I feel low quality of life. If interested, there are tons of YTube vids on it & I can make a few suggestions or post links.

My feeling on it is, it's working for me, even though I've just begun it, so it might be worth a try for those as a test.

Thank you, Everyone for your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovepahrump View Post
Lived in San Diego for 3 years! Our favorite beach was the one at Indiana Dunes State Park. This has got sort of a Torrey Pines vibe, as you can hike in the area and it feels more “nature-y.” It’s very peaceful and gorgeous! We also went to Michigan City. This was more beach town dive-y, like a PB or Mission Beach if we want to find San Diego comparisons. Saint Joseph is another option for a more beach town type feel.
Thank you so much for the comparisons, ILP... this is very helpful!

I've often thought it should be a requirement here to list former locations on our profiles... sometimes people list cons about a certain area (traffic, COL) that are nothing to those of us from big cities, or pros for places, but they're in the middle of nowhere & are very family oriented, which isn't helpful to those like me who are single & want to go out to theatre, ballet, etc... & vice versa.

So the IN Dunes is closest & sounds great, as Torrey Pines is perfect. I've always avoided PB & MB, so I'm glad to see I can skip MI City. And, if I do go further into MI, St. Joseph sounds great... others here agree with you. My fave SDiego beaches were Coronado, Moonlight in Encinitas & La Jolla... it was nice to walk through the latter 2 during low tide. Carlsbad was nice too for walking long distances... I visited one everyday... miss them, but I think I'll return before Christmas, when my lease ends. I despise being away from such accessible ocean, with easy, free parking & plenty of spaces... & just SoCal, in general. I thought I might make it work somewhere else, but after living in 11 states, I've finally accepted that I'm a SoCal girl.

Really useful info, thank you!

Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
How long has it been since you’ve lived in San Diego?

Old 08-05-2018, 05:45 PM

18 posts, read 15,482 times
How was your beach trip A. Typical?

Old 08-06-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momsfavoriteson2 View Post
How was your beach trip A. Typical?
Thx for asking, MFS. I didn't go yet. Turns out my mum is visiting in about 1-wk for a month... I'll take her before I begin a new job on the 27th. Rather than drive up on my own, I figured it would be more fun with company.

I'll keep ya posted. Have a great wk.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:57 AM

18 posts, read 15,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Thx for asking, MFS. I didn't go yet. Turns out my mum is visiting in about 1-wk for a month... I'll take her before I begin a new job on the 27th. Rather than drive up on my own, I figured it would be more fun with company.

I'll keep ya posted. Have a great wk.
Thanks you too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana