Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 15,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
You're welcome, and big 2 thumbs up to you for thanking me.

Tornadoes can hit anywhere in Indiana. Indiana might be a top 10 state for the total number of tonadoes each season. I can't verify it, but it just seems like it would be. Indiana would rank higher in the total number of tornadoes each season if it was a bigger state in area. If Indiana, Illinois and Ohio were one united state instead of being 3 separate states, Indiana might get as many tornadoes each season as Oklahoma and Kansas does. Not Texas, though. Texas is such a huge state, it stands to reason Texas would get more tornadoes each season than any other state. As a rule though, it seems like the tornadoes in Oklahoma and Texas happen more frequent and are more violent and more intense than the tornadoes that hit Indiana.

Make no mistake, Indiana is not immune to violent tornadoes, tornado warnings are frquent and a part of life in Indiana as violent tornados will hit Indiana from time to time. But every region in the country has some kind of natural disasters that is life threatening to humans if they should happen to get caught in it.

Oh, thank you Ivory Lee Spurlock. I appreciate everyone's time here. When tornadoes hit Indiana, does it actually damage properties (i.e. homes, cars, etc.) or will it just pass by? Sorry if this sound like a stupid question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 10:54 AM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasminCS View Post
Thank you! These are all great information to take into account. I haven't thought of where in TN, since we have focused on moving to Indiana (Carmel or Fishers) until I have further research and concern with the weather. I really don't know anything about cities in Tennessee. Do you have recommendations as far as cities/suburbs in Williamson County? Is Nashville in Williamson County? It needs to be affordable as far as housing. We are thinking of paying cash ($250k-265k). Also, looking for good schools, less crime and good neighborhood are the priorities. My apologies for many inquiries. Thank you again for your time!
$250k is a fairly modest budget for metro Nashville with good schools. You won't get into the nicer communities into Williamson County for that. At that budget, I'd stick to the Indianapolis suburbs.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:06 AM

8,983 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Thank you. I'll check out Lafayette as well. How far is Lafayette from Indianapolis?
Lafayette is about an hour or so drive via I-65. Lafayette is a nice place, though calling it "booming" is a stretch.

Purdue is in adjacent West Lafayette.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,985,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Lafayette is about an hour or so drive via I-65. Lafayette is a nice place, though calling it "booming" is a stretch.

Purdue is in adjacent West Lafayette.
Tippecanoe County has almost tripled in size in the last 60 years.

Been averaging 8-15% growth in 10 year increments.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 PM

8,983 posts, read 17,305,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Tippecanoe County has almost tripled in size in the last 60 years.

Been averaging 8-15% growth in 10 year increments.
For starters, Lafayette does not equate the balance of Tippecanoe County. In addition, use of the term "booming" implies a shorter time frame than 60 years.

From 1950 to 2010 Tippecanoe County's population climbed from 74,473 to 172,780. For tripling to occur, the population would have had to climb to 223,419. It did not. Compare that to New Hanover County NC, whose population jumped from 63,272 to 202,667 in the same time frame. That county's population more than tripled. Travis County TX jumped from 160,980 to 1,024,266 in the same time frame. That is a jump of over 6 times the population in that same time frame. On a more local scale, Monroe County jumped from 50,080 to 137,974. That puts Tippecanoe on par with Monroe, but not really ahead.

Tippecanoe is growing in population, but it is a stretch at best to say it is booming.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:54 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,706,235 times
Quote:
Thank you. I'll check out Lafayette as well. How far is Lafayette from Indianapolis?
60 miles: 1 hour. It is about 2 hours to Chicago, which is a beautiful and fun city to visit.

Do not move to Lafayette, move to West Lafayette (just across the river). That is where Purdue University is, schools (city and county) are good, and crime is low (87:West Lafayette / 200:National Average / 400: Lafayette). Lafayette has all the factories and is riddled with crime and drugs (double the national average in crime!). Downtown Lafayette is nice to visit, as is Columbian Park, but I would advise against living on that side of the river. The schools in Lafayette and the surrounding county are also bad.

West Lafayette's overall population is now 25% Asian thanks to Purdue University (Engineering School) being a high-ranking engineering school and encouraging foreign students (huge tuition boost compared to local/in-state students). They are mostly Chinese, Indians, and some Taiwanese, but other Asian countries are represented. You're not going to find a Philipino market, but you should see some familiar products in the 3-4 asian groceries (no supemarkets or 99 Ranches, but decently-large asian markets). West lafayette also has built extensive bike trails on the edge of the city and the town area, itself, is pretty bike-friendly.

Think about the type of living you want. On your budget you can live out in the country on a bit of land (1-10 acres) and have to drive everywhere or be a homebody, in a pretty nice suburb on a 1/4 acre and have better access to parks and town, or in an older in-town neighborhood in a smaller house, but closer to everything so you don't always have to drive everywhere.

The weather is a HUGE factor. If you like outdoor living, you may seriously want to reconsider.

Indiana winters are miserable, there's no way around it. Probably much more miserable than you realize. You won't see the sun literally for months. There's a depressive syndrome linked to the exact conditions that exist during Indiana winters. It will get cold and grey in late October, and stay that way until early April, so count on about 5 bad months each year. Central/NW Indiana is probably the worst, as you often don't even get the relief of snow from the monotony of grey and cold. Lafayette is too far south for lake-effect snow, and often north of the Gulf of Mexico-fueled snowstorms. Expect 2-3 weeks of temperatures below 0 (as in -12F) each year.
Spring is such a relief, you'll be wearing shorts and t-shirts when the mercury climbs to 60F. Spring is also tornado season. I've never seen a twister, but one came within 200 yards of demolishing our house while we slept. There's usually lots of warning, so just be prepared and aware of the weather when it's warm. Odds are low this will ever affect you. There's lots of lightning storms that are a bigger threat, so be sure to teach your kids lightning safety.
Summer is hot and humid. Expect at least 3 months of 90+ heat with high humidity. Your kids will want to visit the pool and play in the sprinklers. Your girls will love running into the house on a hot day to feel the cool AC. I hear, from relatives, that summers have been cooler and wetter for the past decade or so, maybe a factor of climate change, or maybe just temporary. Winters have also become a bit snowier too.
Fall is very pretty with the trees turning and the fields being harvested, usually before everything turns grey and rainy. If you haven't visited, you'll be surprised to find that ALL the fields are either soybeans or (more often) feedstock corn. The kind used in high-fructose corn syrup. You can't eat the kernals (or at least, they don't taste good enough to eat) but they're fun to throw at people. Being surrounded by cornfields, Lafayette has 2 corn-syrup processing plants. They stink, though not as bad as in the past. They used to stink up the whole city and the smell would permeate the air for miles downwind.

"5. How much are the real property taxes, electric/gas utilities, water and sewer, etc.? "
Sales tax is 7%, so about the same as CA. Exempts food and drugs, just like CA.

Property tax rates are high, about 2.4% in West Lafayette, however you'll probably pay less in taxes on a house you buy today in Indiana, than one you buy today in California because the value of the property is so much lower.

Be aware that Indiana has both a flat income tax (3.23%) and flat county taxes (variable, but around 1.2% in the areas you're considering). So you'll have the equivilent of a flat 4.43% tax on income. If you file married, filing jointly, you will pay MORE (sometimes much more) in income tax to Indiana than you did to California unless you make over $105,224, in which case you will pay less.

For example, if you make $60,000, you would pay $1480 in CA state taxes, but $2660 in Indiana state taxes. Since Indiana wages are likely to be lower, expect state taxes to take an equivalently larger chunk out of your total income.
If your wife has a really good job and together you make $500,000 per year, you would pay $42,000 in CA taxes, but only $22,000 in Indiana taxes.

Electric, Gas, Water, and sewer rates are lower than in CA. However, you can expect to pay much more for electricity and gas in total, because you'll need to spend much more heating your house in the winter, and cooling it in the summer. You'll also probably spend more time indoors at home due to weather. I can't give you a good estimate, just anecdotes. Our total utilities typically ran around $400-600/month in Indiana, while we are currently paying $200-$250/month in CA.

GET A GAS FURNACE! My relatives were paying nearly $1000/month in electrical costs for electric heat pumps during the coldest months!

Some food and resturants are cheaper in Indiana, especially processed food. Fruits, vegetables, and seafood are more expensive, depending on the season and shipping costs. Our grocery bill in CA is generally about 75% of what it was in Indiana. So budget a bit more for food, but maybe less for other consumables like paper products, etc.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Thank you! These are all great information to take into account. I haven't thought of where in TN, since we have focused on moving to Indiana (Carmel or Fishers) until I have further research and concern with the weather. I really don't know anything about cities in Tennessee. Do you have recommendations as far as cities/suburbs in Williamson County? Is Nashville in Williamson County? It needs to be affordable as far as housing. We are thinking of paying cash ($250k-265k). Also, looking for good schools, less crime and good neighborhood are the priorities. My apologies for many inquiries. Thank you again for your time!
You really need to consider the S Indiana suburbs of Louisville. Floyds Knobs, IN has better views, more affordable, and same great schools all while being 15 mins from Louisville which is an awesome city in its own right.

Carmel/Fishers have terrible sprawl and traffic since they are so popular. I wouldn't lock in on Carmel without giving S. Indiana a look. Eastern Jeffersonville near 265 is an option too, as this puts you in striking distance of upscale Louisville suburbs similar to Carmel....check out Prospect and Goshen, KY, and Norton Commons and the Paddock Shops. Similar vibe to Carmel at a much more affordable price and less traffic.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:24 PM

35,099 posts, read 31,350,535 times
The only problem with Tippecanoe is job availability. If you get a job there and lose it, you're likely driving back to Indy. That commute sucks.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
You really need to consider the S Indiana suburbs of Louisville. Floyds Knobs, IN has better views, more affordable, and same great schools all while being 15 mins from Louisville which is an awesome city in its own right.

Carmel/Fishers have terrible sprawl and traffic since they are so popular. I wouldn't lock in on Carmel without giving S. Indiana a look. Eastern Jeffersonville near 265 is an option too, as this puts you in striking distance of upscale Louisville suburbs similar to Carmel....check out Prospect and Goshen, KY, and Norton Commons and the Paddock Shops. Similar vibe to Carmel at a much more affordable price and less traffic.

We crossed out KY cause many have said the schools are horrible. Your might have a school in less than a mile from you but because of "busing system" you end up farther/somewhere else. Also, I've read drivers can be crazy since it is a "no fault" state. Please educate me if I'm wrong.

What are the other cities in S. Indiana besides Floyds Knobs? Cities in Eastern Jeffersonville?

Thank you for your time.

Old 09-12-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
60 miles: 1 hour. It is about 2 hours to Chicago, which is a beautiful and fun city to visit.

Do not move to Lafayette, move to West Lafayette (just across the river). That is where Purdue University is, schools (city and county) are good, and crime is low (87:West Lafayette / 200:National Average / 400: Lafayette). Lafayette has all the factories and is riddled with crime and drugs (double the national average in crime!). Downtown Lafayette is nice to visit, as is Columbian Park, but I would advise against living on that side of the river. The schools in Lafayette and the surrounding county are also bad.

West Lafayette's overall population is now 25% Asian thanks to Purdue University (Engineering School) being a high-ranking engineering school and encouraging foreign students (huge tuition boost compared to local/in-state students). They are mostly Chinese, Indians, and some Taiwanese, but other Asian countries are represented. You're not going to find a Philipino market, but you should see some familiar products in the 3-4 asian groceries (no supemarkets or 99 Ranches, but decently-large asian markets). West lafayette also has built extensive bike trails on the edge of the city and the town area, itself, is pretty bike-friendly.

Think about the type of living you want. On your budget you can live out in the country on a bit of land (1-10 acres) and have to drive everywhere or be a homebody, in a pretty nice suburb on a 1/4 acre and have better access to parks and town, or in an older in-town neighborhood in a smaller house, but closer to everything so you don't always have to drive everywhere.

The weather is a HUGE factor. If you like outdoor living, you may seriously want to reconsider.

Indiana winters are miserable, there's no way around it. Probably much more miserable than you realize. You won't see the sun literally for months. There's a depressive syndrome linked to the exact conditions that exist during Indiana winters. It will get cold and grey in late October, and stay that way until early April, so count on about 5 bad months each year. Central/NW Indiana is probably the worst, as you often don't even get the relief of snow from the monotony of grey and cold. Lafayette is too far south for lake-effect snow, and often north of the Gulf of Mexico-fueled snowstorms. Expect 2-3 weeks of temperatures below 0 (as in -12F) each year.
Spring is such a relief, you'll be wearing shorts and t-shirts when the mercury climbs to 60F. Spring is also tornado season. I've never seen a twister, but one came within 200 yards of demolishing our house while we slept. There's usually lots of warning, so just be prepared and aware of the weather when it's warm. Odds are low this will ever affect you. There's lots of lightning storms that are a bigger threat, so be sure to teach your kids lightning safety.
Summer is hot and humid. Expect at least 3 months of 90+ heat with high humidity. Your kids will want to visit the pool and play in the sprinklers. Your girls will love running into the house on a hot day to feel the cool AC. I hear, from relatives, that summers have been cooler and wetter for the past decade or so, maybe a factor of climate change, or maybe just temporary. Winters have also become a bit snowier too.
Fall is very pretty with the trees turning and the fields being harvested, usually before everything turns grey and rainy. If you haven't visited, you'll be surprised to find that ALL the fields are either soybeans or (more often) feedstock corn. The kind used in high-fructose corn syrup. You can't eat the kernals (or at least, they don't taste good enough to eat) but they're fun to throw at people. Being surrounded by cornfields, Lafayette has 2 corn-syrup processing plants. They stink, though not as bad as in the past. They used to stink up the whole city and the smell would permeate the air for miles downwind.

"5. How much are the real property taxes, electric/gas utilities, water and sewer, etc.? "
Sales tax is 7%, so about the same as CA. Exempts food and drugs, just like CA.

Property tax rates are high, about 2.4% in West Lafayette, however you'll probably pay less in taxes on a house you buy today in Indiana, than one you buy today in California because the value of the property is so much lower.

Be aware that Indiana has both a flat income tax (3.23%) and flat county taxes (variable, but around 1.2% in the areas you're considering). So you'll have the equivilent of a flat 4.43% tax on income. If you file married, filing jointly, you will pay MORE (sometimes much more) in income tax to Indiana than you did to California unless you make over $105,224, in which case you will pay less.

For example, if you make $60,000, you would pay $1480 in CA state taxes, but $2660 in Indiana state taxes. Since Indiana wages are likely to be lower, expect state taxes to take an equivalently larger chunk out of your total income.
If your wife has a really good job and together you make $500,000 per year, you would pay $42,000 in CA taxes, but only $22,000 in Indiana taxes.

Electric, Gas, Water, and sewer rates are lower than in CA. However, you can expect to pay much more for electricity and gas in total, because you'll need to spend much more heating your house in the winter, and cooling it in the summer. You'll also probably spend more time indoors at home due to weather. I can't give you a good estimate, just anecdotes. Our total utilities typically ran around $400-600/month in Indiana, while we are currently paying $200-$250/month in CA.

GET A GAS FURNACE! My relatives were paying nearly $1000/month in electrical costs for electric heat pumps during the coldest months!

Some food and resturants are cheaper in Indiana, especially processed food. Fruits, vegetables, and seafood are more expensive, depending on the season and shipping costs. Our grocery bill in CA is generally about 75% of what it was in Indiana. So budget a bit more for food, but maybe less for other consumables like paper products, etc.

I soooo appreciate for taking the time to provide this lengthy explanation. It helps a lot with our decision making process.

1. As far as electrical bill, what square feet your house was when you have $400-600 bill/month?
2. Do you know anything about health insurance cost for individual/family?
3. Did you ever like living in IN? Which city did you live in?

Thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana