Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2018, 06:24 PM

911 posts, read 2,149,884 times

Advertisements

I've had an offer come up, just as I'm looking to move anyway... Never put Indiana on my list for anything, but i'd be living between Cincinnati and Indianapolis... Any thoughts for a late 30's couple with kids of all age ranges and a love for hockey and libraries? Also, my son is joining the coast guard reserves, any info on their station out there?
Any nice rural communities outside of Cincinnati where I might find a couple acres and a few bedrooms for the mid-$100k range?
Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 PM

7,059 posts, read 8,900,924 times
A lot of the small towns in Indiana are really nice, good people, Sunman, Batesville and Columbus.

The area is not so good for hockey, I had played in leagues in Evendale OH, about 12 miles north of Cincinnati.

Both cities have teams in the ECHL, and had teams in the WHA in the old days, Wayne Gretzky started his pro career with the Indianapolis Racers and Mark Messier played for the Cincinnati Stingers.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:42 PM

911 posts, read 2,149,884 times
Very cool. Thanks for the info! You're not the first to suggest Batesville to me.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:12 PM

174 posts, read 240,041 times
I would concur with woxyroxme on Columbus or Batesville as options. Greensburg area would be another to consider. Those are the cities that provide great access to 74 and are not terrible drives to Indy or Cincy. Columbus would be longest commute to Cincy since it's not off 74.

All 3 have decent schools, I'd say Columbus schools the best of the 3. Greensburg or Batesville are probably pretty similar school wise. All will have youth sports and family friendly communities and all have libraries.

If you look around those towns you can I'm sure find some smaller towns or rural areas with homes with the acreage you are looking for nearby.

Hockey has never really taken off in Indiana like other sports have. There is a bit of resurgence in Indy with the Indy Fuel professional hockey team, but you'd just have to look into that more.

As for Coast Guard my guess is that it's the opposite direction from where you would be living. As Lake Michigan is in the northern part of Indiana I'm going to guess it'd be based out of Michigan City, Gary or Chesterton. I could be wrong, just my guess knowing we don't have much else in the way of big enough lakes or bodies of water for them to patrol. There might be some along the Ohio River which wouldn't be nearly as far, but I'm not positive on that either.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Batesville and Greensburg would be my choices. Batesville is a bit more homey feeling, Greensburg a bit more industrial. Both offer viable, not easy, commutes to both cities.

Old 12-11-2018, 08:39 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
If hockey is an important part of your lives you might consider Oxford OH which is about 45 minutes north of Cincinnati and about an hour and 45 minutes from Indianapolis. It's the home of Miami University of Ohio and their Goggin Ice Center which is open to the public for college hockey games as well as youth leagues and summer camps. Oxford public schools are quite good and while there's not a ton of inventory you can find decent homes in the 3 to 4 bedroom/2 bath realm in the 150K-175K in-town, or in nearby outlying areas like College Corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana