Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 01:25 PM

51 posts, read 48,413 times

Advertisements

Hey Hoosiers! Just want to throw a little love your way. I grew up in NW Ohio, so am biased in favor of pastoral, rural, agricultural landscapes (with lots of trees) anyway, but until about a year-and-a-half ago, I never realized how beautiful your state truly is. Both on my way to Ohio (via I-80), and on the return trip (via US 6 and US 24 - to avoid the endless construction delays on I-80, and to avoid Chicago), I was rather surprised at the nature of the land (gently rolling topography and, of course, lots and lots of trees).

On one stretch of the aforementioned highways (US 6 or 24), I was literally driving through a tunnel of trees. It was SO beautiful!

And, I believe you're the birthplace of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., one of my favorite authors.

That's all, Indiana. Hope you all realize what a beautiful place you reside in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
Thanks, Mr. Klister. I visited Indiana in 2011 and fell in love with it. Ohio is pretty, too--it looks me of a big golf course--very green and well-kept.

Old 12-22-2018, 06:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,398,593 times
*reminds me*

Old 12-23-2018, 08:19 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Klister View Post
...(gently rolling topography and, of course, lots and lots of trees).

[snip]

Hope you all realize what a beautiful place you reside in.
I have to agree. I visited in October, 2018, really just a very small portion of the state, but still... All I heard before our trip was how "flat" Indiana is. I was so pleasantly surprised by the gently rolling hills.

I live in SoCal, and yes, we have mountains we can see in the far distance (on clear days, and only from some vantage points), but our area is flat, flat, flat. The only hills we have nearby are a couple freeway overpasses...and those certainly aren't tree-lined.

And the people were lovely, too.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times
I've lived here all my life. I'm more fond of landscapes that have vast differences in elevation, but I appreciate what Indiana offers in terms of being "flat." I sometimes drive during the dark, in the back roads of the Indy suburbs and in more rural areas of the state. I like staring out into a dark horizon to see the flashing lights of a radio signal tower miles away in the distance. Even seeing the glow in the sky of a small or medium sized town/city is something I enjoy. My first and only hike up Mt. LeConte I met a guy who had also just did his first hike. He was from the mountain areas of TN but had recently made a serious lifestyle change and hiking up LeConte was his eventual goal. He said he'd heard that in our area one can see "for miles." I told him that was true in some areas, that the horizon just seems to go on and on forever.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:24 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
The landscape in Central Indiana is far from ugly. It's just not very breath taking. It doesn't have very many panoramic views. But the tall trees and deep green color that covers the countryside is beautiful in its own way. I never appreciated it's beauty until I moved to where the trees are not as tall and the greens are not as deep and lush and the land is scrubbier and browner.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:48 PM

19 posts, read 19,140 times
Thanks for the positive comments! I get so tired of people bashing the state. It isn't like we had any decision on what the topography would be for Indiana. The central part of the state definitely has a different look to it than the southern or extreme northern part of the state!

Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
I have to travel to IN for work sometimes, I live in KY, I mainly visit Lawrenceburg, Aurora, Versailles, and occasionally Madison.

I really like Aurora and Versailles, they are postcard perfect, great small town American cities.

Last time I went to Madison, I stopped for gas, and there was 4-5 younger teens, driving around in a rag top Jeep Wrangler, they had a few fishing poles hanging out the back, and it looked like they had been to their favorite swimming/fishing hole recently, then I get on the road back to Lawrenceburg, and I pass LOTS of small and large farms, most had american flags proudly flying, kids were out playing in the yards, parents were mowing grass or doing other work around the house...I kind of felt like I was in the idyllic American small town at that moment!!

Old 12-31-2018, 06:12 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
The only hilly places I've noticed in Indiana in my travels are on highway 31 between Peru and Grissom ARB, small section of hilly and heavily forested area. Then, the areas West of Indianapolis near Turkey Run, Crawfordsville, Shades, and the areas South of Indy, Brown County, Brookville, etc.

Except for the Lakeshore I feel like northern Indiana has some of the least appealing topography in the state. Although the outskirts of Indy look and feel identical in many ways. I've never minded the scenery too much because I spend most of my time in various towns and cities, and there is a great cluster of small towns and cities from Chicago to Goshen in the northern part of the state.

Thank you OP for the kind words, I do feel like Indiana has some highly underrated areas, and part of me likes it that way, keeps the crowds away. Indiana is a very lush and green state in the warm months, I love to see all of the greenery during the summer time

Old 12-31-2018, 06:23 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The only hilly places I've noticed in Indiana in my travels are on highway 31 between Peru and Grissom ARB, small section of hilly and heavily forested area. Then, the areas West of Indianapolis near Turkey Run, Crawfordsville, Shades, and the areas South of Indy, Brown County, Brookville, etc.

Except for the Lakeshore I feel like northern Indiana has some of the least appealing topography in the state. Although the outskirts of Indy look and feel identical in many ways. I've never minded the scenery too much because I spend most of my time in various towns and cities, and there is a great cluster of small towns and cities from Chicago to Goshen in the northern part of the state.

Thank you OP for the kind words, I do feel like Indiana has some highly underrated areas, and part of me likes it that way, keeps the crowds away. Indiana is a very lush and green state in the warm months, I love to see all of the greenery during the summer time
I have family that live in a small town near Peru. If you get off 31 and onto some of the backroads, even the state highways like SR 19, there are some pretty hilly areas there along and near the Wabash River. Not southern Indiana hilly but it feels pretty unique for that part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana