Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2019, 08:13 AM

186 posts, read 124,403 times

Advertisements

So I recently read that Elkhart has the largest share of manufacturing jobs in the US because of the RV industry and the amount of jobs being created is over 20,000 and unemployment is close to 2%. Is this true? How easy is it to get a job in this area and what would the pay be like for entry level? I was thinking of taking a drive over some time, but I would like more information as to how to get one of these manufacturing jobs once I were to get there or if it's possible to line something up beforehand.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:05 AM

625 posts, read 1,801,101 times
Elkhart is a manufacturing mecca. Yes, that is attributed to the RV industry. Times are moderating right now, which is overall, healthy for the local economy. A year ago, it was in an accelerated growth, which is why the reports were stating that there are over 5,000 open jobs in the industry. What people don't realize is, those jobs quickly are not open anymore because of the slowing economy. But it's steady.

To give you an idea, the slowdown caused some local RV factories, just this past Christmas Break, to shut down for 4-5 weeks. Some just returned this week to work. It's all about balancing the supply-demand of the RV.

You would, no doubt, find a job in the RV industry if you searched. The job market is two-fold: 1) The reputable RV companies are harder to find jobs, because they pay better and have a better quality of work environment. Examples of tough places to get in are Grand Design RV, Newmar RV, Crossroads, Jayco, and some divisions of Forest River, some plants of Keystone, and some of Heartland. There are numerous others in the area as well, too many to count. Just in the last two years, nearly 15 RV factories have been constructed to meet the demand. These are not small buildings either, they are giant 120,000 - 200,000 square foot facilities. The Amish are also heavily employed in the industry as well. A unique area to live and work.

Also, check out the Facebook group "jobs in the RV industry" to get an idea of what's available.

Hope this helps! I have lived here my whole life. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:34 AM

186 posts, read 124,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Elkhart is a manufacturing mecca. Yes, that is attributed to the RV industry. Times are moderating right now, which is overall, healthy for the local economy. A year ago, it was in an accelerated growth, which is why the reports were stating that there are over 5,000 open jobs in the industry. What people don't realize is, those jobs quickly are not open anymore because of the slowing economy. But it's steady.

To give you an idea, the slowdown caused some local RV factories, just this past Christmas Break, to shut down for 4-5 weeks. Some just returned this week to work. It's all about balancing the supply-demand of the RV.

You would, no doubt, find a job in the RV industry if you searched. The job market is two-fold: 1) The reputable RV companies are harder to find jobs, because they pay better and have a better quality of work environment. Examples of tough places to get in are Grand Design RV, Newmar RV, Crossroads, Jayco, and some divisions of Forest River, some plants of Keystone, and some of Heartland. There are numerous others in the area as well, too many to count. Just in the last two years, nearly 15 RV factories have been constructed to meet the demand. These are not small buildings either, they are giant 120,000 - 200,000 square foot facilities. The Amish are also heavily employed in the industry as well. A unique area to live and work.

Also, check out the Facebook group "jobs in the RV industry" to get an idea of what's available.

Hope this helps! I have lived here my whole life. Let me know if you have any questions.
Hello Sir,

Thank you for your advice! I would be moving here from out of state, from the NY metro area region. I would need to find something relatively quick upon relocating, but I will definitely look into those companies once I am out there. In terms of finding something relatively quick, do you know any industries that would hire on the spot? My background experience is relatively diverse, and I have a college degree with experience in insurance, retail, sales, & customer service. I am looking to rent a room from month to month at first, before signing a lease, securing more something with good pay benefits, etc.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:33 AM

With a lot of companies, it helps to know someone. But I'm guessing someone that comes in with a degree and from out of state would be an ideal fit for an RV company, because they are looking to diversify their talent pool. Some RV companies do not have the best work environments. I would try Newmar, Jayco, and Grand Design first. Maybe try emailing human resources first?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:34 AM

If you're looking for a place to rent, the market right now is very tight. Elkhart would be the easiest, but the least desirable, and Goshen is a nicer city, but hard to find something to rent.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:39 PM

1,705 posts, read 3,050,671 times
If you don't find anything in the RV construction arena, but are OK with smaller town living and such, Anderson Indiana has a few manufacturing plants that seem to hire on a regular rotation. NTN and NTK are part of the same overall company. They are involved in automotive parts. Just down the interstate is Nestle, which I believe is mostly a plant where ice cream products are made. Between Indy and Cincinnati in Greensburg, Indiana, Honda is always hiring. I think pay eventually tops out around $20/hour for basic manufacturing positions. I've heard the RV industry is/was the place to be the last handful of years, but others have mentioned the boom and bust cycles of that niche industry. I personally would suggest a company that is producing a wide array of RV type products: From complete units that have their own engine, to pull-behinds of all sorts (travel trailers, pop-up campers), to those smaller units that sit in the bed of pick-up trucks. I've heard OT was pretty good just a few years back. If you can, just rent and if the industry goes under, head down to Anderson or Greensburg and try to get something maybe a bit more stable but not as high as pay or with not as much OT available.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:22 PM

1,859 posts, read 3,407,023 times
Also consider that manufacturing is generally robust in northern Indiana these days, so even if RV sales slide some for a period, you could find good work in the area (I'm thinking Kendallville area, and elsewhere).

I'm in Elkhart, Kendallville, and Fort Wayne all the time for business, I recommend those areas for manufacturing jobs.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:24 AM

4,965 posts, read 6,226,273 times
It may have slowed some but as of last spring, there were more jobs available than people to fill them in Elkhart County. Now, that includes all jobs not just manufacturing so we're talking Wal-Mart cashier, fast food, etc. When I visited friends then, almost every place had help wanted signs up in Goshen.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:54 PM

67 posts, read 131,604 times
Default more RV companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
With a lot of companies, it helps to know someone. But I'm guessing someone that comes in with a degree and from out of state would be an ideal fit for an RV company, because they are looking to diversify their talent pool. Some RV companies do not have the best work environments. I would try Newmar, Jayco, and Grand Design first. Maybe try emailing human resources first?
You forgot to add, Thor RV and Forest River RV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana