Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 AM

2 posts, read 2,531 times

Advertisements

Hello I’m considering re locating to Indiana my concern is as scarf wearing Muslim do you think I will face discrimination? I’m worried about my safety as I’m a single mom of two girls. I’m coming from California and even here I’ve had some pretty awful things said to me ..... as a Muslim do you think I’ll be able to find a job? I’m a rn btw , are my kids going to be bullied? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Where in Indiana do you plan to live? It "might" make a difference. In the more populated cities or the big university towns you should be fine. You are also more likely to find a mosque and faith community in those places. If you are uncertain about location, I would focus my search on places with a mosque via google. Smaller and more rural places tend to be more conservative, and I am sure you understand how that can play out in these times. In general most Hoosiers are fine with others but there are pockets of hate here like everywhere else.

Be aware that Muslims make up less than 1% of the state population.

As you know, discrimination can occur anywhere. I live in what is probably the most liberal and accepting city in the state. Several years ago a Muslim woman in a scarf was attacked outside her restaurant. Indiana did not have a hate crime law at the time, and if I recall correctly the attacker was on drugs. The rest of the community gave her and her family a lot of support.

As far as a job, you should be fine. Nurses are needed everywhere.

I don't know if your kids will be bullied. I do know my SIL (a Chinese immigrant so he does "stand out") has spoken of discrimination or different treatment he has experienced. He's a big guy though so kids didn't physically bully him--at least that he has ever mentioned. He had more problems when his family lived on the West side of Indianapolis though. When his family moved to the NE suburbs things were much better.

Good luck in your decision making.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
I’m guessing you would want to be somewhere with an established Muslim community. Indianapolis is by far your best bet. Also look at West Lafayette, Bloomington and Northwest Indiana. There are several mosques in Indy, at least 3 in NWI, and a few others scattered across the state.

Do not move to rural Indiana.

Indiana isn’t the best state for a Muslim especially in today’s climate, but most people in populated areas aren’t going to give you a hard time.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 AM

174 posts, read 244,261 times
As stated above Indy will be your best bet. As rrah said you can experience discrimination anywhere, but would say Indy will be much better than rural areas. I cannot speak for the other metro/big city areas of Indiana.

Plainfield, a suburb of Indy, has the Islamic Society of North America, and I know several near Westside areas close to downtown have schools specifically for Muslims or mosques. However, I'd steer clear of Mooresville if you look Plainfield way. They have come a long way towards cleaning up their checkered past of racism issues, but it's definitely more rural, conservative and less likely to be accepting of a Muslim.

While I know rrah mentioned that their SIL had issues, I teach on the Westside and have not seen the issues in the school I teach at. We have several girls who have run cross country and track, swam or played tennis who wore hijabs the whole time. Never once have they mentioned being bullied. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but they never mentioned experiencing it at the high school level (where I teach). Our school also has a Muslim Society Club run by students, several Top 30 students have been Muslim and in the most recent Student Government elections a Muslim girl was elected treasurer. Again this doesn't mean you'd have a great experience, but if there's already a community within our schools most of our students probably are less likely to say something to your children bullying wise, at least not about their scarfs or hijabs.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:56 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,267,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestsideMac View Post
As stated above Indy will be your best bet. As rrah said you can experience discrimination anywhere, but would say Indy will be much better than rural areas. I cannot speak for the other metro/big city areas of Indiana.

Plainfield, a suburb of Indy, has the Islamic Society of North America, and I know several near Westside areas close to downtown have schools specifically for Muslims or mosques. However, I'd steer clear of Mooresville if you look Plainfield way. They have come a long way towards cleaning up their checkered past of racism issues, but it's definitely more rural, conservative and less likely to be accepting of a Muslim.

While I know rrah mentioned that their SIL had issues, I teach on the Westside and have not seen the issues in the school I teach at. We have several girls who have run cross country and track, swam or played tennis who wore hijabs the whole time. Never once have they mentioned being bullied. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but they never mentioned experiencing it at the high school level (where I teach). Our school also has a Muslim Society Club run by students, several Top 30 students have been Muslim and in the most recent Student Government elections a Muslim girl was elected treasurer. Again this doesn't mean you'd have a great experience, but if there's already a community within our schools most of our students probably are less likely to say something to your children bullying wise, at least not about their scarfs or hijabs.
In addition, Fishers has a sizable Muslim community. And if you didn't want public schools, Fishers has the Eman School, a state-accredited Islamic school from kindergarten through high school. And there is also the Masjid Al-Huda, a Muslim community center and prayer facility, in Fishers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana