Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 05:06 PM

1 posts, read 752 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else experience harassment by the town council/municipality when they first moved to Burlington? When we first moved there when I was a kid, we were constantly getting cited for things that weren't against ordinance, for grass length that was within ordinance limits, trees that weren't even on our property, etc, and sometimes they'd even stick a citation on our door with nothing at all checked, and they didn't even know what they'd cited us for. It was at least once a week, for a long time. Less than a year ago, my husband and I moved into the house I grew up in, after 20 years of living elsewhere. We were cited literally the first day we were moving in. We brought one load in my pickup, went to get another load (maybe 2 hours gone), came back and there was a citation on the door for grass length, when the grass was maybe 5 inches long (ordinance says 10 inches). Then there was a period where it rained every single day for a week straight, so we couldn't mow. We got cited during this time for grass length. My neighbors' grass was all just as long. I went around and asked, and not a single one of them got cited. Then we got cited for grass length the day after we mowed the yard. So it was obviously within compliance. Now they're threatening a lien for a citation we weren't even given, that they can't even produce the citation. We have been there less than a year. It's almost like they're trying to run us out of my childhood home. I'm at a loss for how to fight it. It's the exact same thing they did when we moved in when I was a child. Anyone else gone through this? Any suggestions for what to do to get it to stop? I was thrilled to move back into my childhood home. Now I'm starting to wish I hadn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 05:40 PM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
Given that you're in a town of 600 people, it's unlikely anyone here will have any answer. Try posing your question on Nextdoor.com, or just ask your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana