Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times

Advertisements

Attached is a photo from a current real estate listing in Carmel, IN. If we were to buy a place like this, we'd probably want/need to remove a tree from the back yard. I hate parting with mature trees, so I would try to keep the one on the far right-hand side of the photo, but the one in the center would probably need to go (we would want to add a pool, plus that tree seems a bit close to the house for our taste). About how much would you say removing such a large tree would cost? Anything else to consider?
Attached Thumbnails
Approx Cost of Tree Removal-tree-removal.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 02:52 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Looks (from the picture) like you should have them professionally removed -- both trees closest to the house -- and, also have the stumps removed fully, which means having them ground up. I had that done here at my house in the backyard for safety reasons, plus they are a mess in the fall, cost was approx. $2300 including grinding the stumps.

Another reason to get rid of those trees is safety -- they could fall on your house in a storm.

Old 07-25-2019, 02:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Looks (from the picture) like you should have them professionally removed -- both trees closest to the house -- and, also have the stumps removed fully, which means having them ground up. I had that done here at my house in the backyard for safety reasons, plus they are a mess in the fall, cost was approx. $2300 including grinding the stumps.

Another reason to get rid of those trees is safety -- they could fall on your house in a storm.
Thank you! Yes, we'd definitely have them professionally removed, including the stumps ground.

Would you think $2300 would be about the cost for both of those trees (or did you have more/fewer removed)?

Old 07-25-2019, 03:20 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Attached is a photo from a current real estate listing in Carmel, IN. If we were to buy a place like this, we'd probably want/need to remove a tree from the back yard. I hate parting with mature trees, so I would try to keep the one on the far right-hand side of the photo, but the one in the center would probably need to go (we would want to add a pool, plus that tree seems a bit close to the house for our taste). About how much would you say removing such a large tree would cost? Anything else to consider?
The price for one tree removal where pool would be put in should not exceed $1,000-1,500. Also, the other trees do not appear close to the house at all. I have 80-90 ft trees near my house and just have them regularly trimmed and maintained, as they save me huge dollars in the summer on reduced electricity costs due to less AC demand.

Old 07-26-2019, 11:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Thank you! Yes, we'd definitely have them professionally removed, including the stumps ground.

Would you think $2300 would be about the cost for both of those trees (or did you have more/fewer removed)?
We had two trees looking exactly like the ones you want taken down, and they were in the back yard also. However, prices for work in So. Calif. is most likely a lot more than here in the Western NC mountains. Regardless, it needs to be done. You should have a few 'tree men' come out and give you quotes.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Depending on any HOA rules, you can figure out how you want to deal with the situation. I had three large trees on the east side. They had huge nuts and just caused a huge mess in the yard. One was likely three stories tall. I had no HOA/covenants plus I had a wood burning stove. All I did was have them downed as they were near power lines and I wanted it done safely. I called around and hired the cheapest company with insurance, who wasn't a steal but they were fairly well known. They knocked them down, I took a week and my own time and cut them to size (they weren't thick trees at all).

If you can handle the wood, you can just have them downed, then either have them cut them into sections (16-17"). You can then offer the wood uncut on Craigslist or whatever. There are still a lot of wood burners out there looking for free wood. If you really want to get it gone and have an tow-hitch on a vehicle, go get a wood splitter and split it. People come out of the woodwork for free and already split firewood.

Also, if you plan on putting in a pool, just call a few companies and ask them how they handle stumps. It might be something the pool company can deal with on their end, possibly cheaper than the tree company.

$2,300 seems really high. I didn't pay no where near that much, and even if I had them take the wood it might have doubled the costs. I didn't have them do the stumps either.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:59 PM

79 posts, read 91,489 times
I had two taken down in So Illinois a few years ago for about $2,500 for both. It can vary widely of course, but it's probably safe to plan to $2k.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:57 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
Quote:

Well it's cheaper to remove it than having it fall on the house!

Old 08-19-2019, 02:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
Quote:

Well it's cheaper to remove it than having it fall on the house! Keep the shredded wood for ground cover, just not next to the house - it attracts critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: