Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 05:37 PM

66 posts, read 138,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozar36 View Post
What do you guys think about noise from the airport in McCutchanville like around Kansas Rd?
Also, what are your thoughts on Jagoe homes?
Can't comment on the airport noise because I live in Newburgh but I can sure tell you about JAGOE.

I was raised in Evansville, joined the Navy and spent 40 years in Southern California and Portland, OR. In 2013 I retired, sold my home in Temecula, CA., and moved into an apartment in Evansville. I wanted to build a brick home on about an acre and had a max budget of 500k. I had 6 brothers and sisters who lived in Newburgh and loved it so I started looking for a lot in Newburgh/Warrick county and talking with local home builders. I toured the Parade of Homes that year, talked to a lot of the home builders and learned a lot.

The first thing everyone told me was to stay away from JAGOE because they build poor quality homes. I took their advice, talked to other home builders, and what a weird experience. Most of them were very arrogant and deceitful, and they ALL trashed JAGOE. Some of them acted like they were creating some kind of master-piece and they were doing me a favor to build a home for me. I told one builder the types of materials/colors I wanted in my home and he scoffed and said "we don't put that kind of stuff in homes anymore"! Another builder tried to sell me a defective lot.

I was working with a realtor on a lot I found and he convinced me to check out some JAGOE homes. One of their sales reps took me through 4 or 5 of their larger homes that were under construction and I was blown away. I did a ton of research on them which turned out to be very favorable, found a floorplan I liked and decided to go with them.

JAGOE is headquartered in Owensboro, KY. Their major markets are Southwestern Indiana and Western Kentucky. They are by far the largest home builder in the area. They build a lot of small starter homes but they also offer a "Presidential" line of larger, custom homes. They got their bad rep from some subcontractors who did some shoddy work on some homes back in the 1970's or 80' and although they corrected the work, their reputation suffered and continues to be perpatrated by the local builders. JAGOE instituted a subcontractor screening program and a lot of subs who couldn't cut it with JAGOE work for other home builders in the area.

Both my son and my sister have bought one of their smaller homes and they both love them. Since I decided to go with one of their Presidential line floorplans, I could make all the changes to the house I wanted. They had 3 full-time architects on staff and every time I made a change they would print out a new set of plans within 20-30 minutes reflecting the change. I moved walls, added windows, moved windows, I made dozens of changes and although there were construction costs to making those structural changes, I felt they were reasonable. Other builders said I would have to pay a $3-400 architectural fee to make a structural change and that did not include the builders charges to make the change.

JAGOE, afaik is the only builder that installs tankless water heaters as standard equipment, other builders didn't want to talk about them because they are more expensive to install. A lot of builders use cheap metal doors for front doors on their houses, JAGOE uses fiberglass. I could go on and on.

My house is 3000 sqft on one one level, solid brick and I am very happy with it. I was able to closely monitor the construction of my house and all the work I witnessed was of the highest quality. Their subcontractors were excellent, loved working for JAGOE and were happy to explain the work they were doing. Once I signed the contract, JAGOE had a maximum time of 180 days to build my house. They told me it would be done by 90 days, a dozer rolled onto my lot on 22Aug14 and I was handed the keys on 22Nov22, 90 days exactly.

I opted for every upgrade they offered on the house, made dozens of structural changes, went with a crawlspace instead of a slab and the final cost was $363k for just the house. This is kind of off topic but this house would cost at least $1M to build in Southern California.

After I moved into the house, JAGOE has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 10 year structural warranty. There were a few minor problems but they have their own maintenance crews and everything was corrected very timely and professional.

Re-reading this, it sounds like I am a employee or owner of JAGOE LOL, but I assure you I'm not. My only connection is as a customer who had them build my house. If I am not happy with a product or service, I let them know. Conversely, I feel that if I get good service/products it is only fair to express that as well. If I were ever to build another house, I would just go directly back to JAGOE.
Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 01:58 PM

89 posts, read 113,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYY View Post
Can't comment on the airport noise because I live in Newburgh but I can sure tell you about JAGOE.

I was raised in Evansville, joined the Navy and spent 40 years in Southern California and Portland, OR. In 2013 I retired, sold my home in Temecula, CA., and moved into an apartment in Evansville. I wanted to build a brick home on about an acre and had a max budget of 500k. I had 6 brothers and sisters who lived in Newburgh and loved it so I started looking for a lot in Newburgh/Warrick county and talking with local home builders. I toured the Parade of Homes that year, talked to a lot of the home builders and learned a lot.

The first thing everyone told me was to stay away from JAGOE because they build poor quality homes. I took their advice, talked to other home builders, and what a weird experience. Most of them were very arrogant and deceitful, and they ALL trashed JAGOE. Some of them acted like they were creating some kind of master-piece and they were doing me a favor to build a home for me. I told one builder the types of materials/colors I wanted in my home and he scoffed and said "we don't put that kind of stuff in homes anymore"! Another builder tried to sell me a defective lot.

I was working with a realtor on a lot I found and he convinced me to check out some JAGOE homes. One of their sales reps took me through 4 or 5 of their larger homes that were under construction and I was blown away. I did a ton of research on them which turned out to be very favorable, found a floorplan I liked and decided to go with them.

JAGOE is headquartered in Owensboro, KY. Their major markets are Southwestern Indiana and Western Kentucky. They are by far the largest home builder in the area. They build a lot of small starter homes but they also offer a "Presidential" line of larger, custom homes. They got their bad rep from some subcontractors who did some shoddy work on some homes back in the 1970's or 80' and although they corrected the work, their reputation suffered and continues to be perpatrated by the local builders. JAGOE instituted a subcontractor screening program and a lot of subs who couldn't cut it with JAGOE work for other home builders in the area.

Both my son and my sister have bought one of their smaller homes and they both love them. Since I decided to go with one of their Presidential line floorplans, I could make all the changes to the house I wanted. They had 3 full-time architects on staff and every time I made a change they would print out a new set of plans within 20-30 minutes reflecting the change. I moved walls, added windows, moved windows, I made dozens of changes and although there were construction costs to making those structural changes, I felt they were reasonable. Other builders said I would have to pay a $3-400 architectural fee to make a structural change and that did not include the builders charges to make the change.

JAGOE, afaik is the only builder that installs tankless water heaters as standard equipment, other builders didn't want to talk about them because they are more expensive to install. A lot of builders use cheap metal doors for front doors on their houses, JAGOE uses fiberglass. I could go on and on.

My house is 3000 sqft on one one level, solid brick and I am very happy with it. I was able to closely monitor the construction of my house and all the work I witnessed was of the highest quality. Their subcontractors were excellent, loved working for JAGOE and were happy to explain the work they were doing. Once I signed the contract, JAGOE had a maximum time of 180 days to build my house. They told me it would be done by 90 days, a dozer rolled onto my lot on 22Aug14 and I was handed the keys on 22Nov22, 90 days exactly.

I opted for every upgrade they offered on the house, made dozens of structural changes, went with a crawlspace instead of a slab and the final cost was $363k for just the house. This is kind of off topic but this house would cost at least $1M to build in Southern California.

After I moved into the house, JAGOE has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty and a 10 year structural warranty. There were a few minor problems but they have their own maintenance crews and everything was corrected very timely and professional.

Re-reading this, it sounds like I am a employee or owner of JAGOE LOL, but I assure you I'm not. My only connection is as a customer who had them build my house. If I am not happy with a product or service, I let them know. Conversely, I feel that if I get good service/products it is only fair to express that as well. If I were ever to build another house, I would just go directly back to JAGOE.
Hope this helps.

Good info Brother, I retire from the Marines October 22 "so in 9 weeks" I was born in San Diego raised In Escondido. Station in California for about 12 years.

I bought my Home in Evansville Last year November and moved my Family into in May. They love it they love the people and the Town. I love it too, cost of living location and the green trees are huge for me.

I to was planning on building, but with the way the VA loans are I didn't want to deal with it. So I bought second owner home 4600 SQf with 6 acres with my own 1 acre lake for $375. That same Home in California is 5mil.

Old 08-22-2020, 06:36 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
I bought my Home in Evansville Last year November and moved my Family into in May. They love it they love the people and the Town. I love it too, cost of living location and the green trees are huge for me.
Good to hear you are enjoying where you landed. I remember your initial questions to this forum about the area. When my wife and I visited Evansville for a few days last year, I was impressed with the region. Had some family in that area but the connections were lost as the elders passed away. This was before the social media era.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:09 PM

66 posts, read 138,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahp45 View Post
Good info Brother, I retire from the Marines October 22 "so in 9 weeks" I was born in San Diego raised In Escondido. Station in California for about 12 years.

I to was planning on building, but with the way the VA loans are I didn't want to deal with it. So I bought second owner home 4600 SQf with 6 acres with my own 1 acre lake for $375. That same Home in California is 5mil.
Wow Noah, looks like you are retiring from the Marine Corps today!! I retired from the Navy in Mar02 after 24 yrs of service. I completed a recruiting tour in Portland, OR., in Nov89, got orders to a ship in San Diego and lived in Escondido until 95 when I bought a house in Temecula. Escondido was a nice little town but it was changing fast during the time I lived there.

Sounds like you got a hell of a good deal on your home, 6 acres and a lake is great. I lived off Red Bank RD, on the west side of Evansville while I attended USI back in the 70's and I loved the area, very beautiful. I was looking at lots out there and if I hadn't found this lot in Newburgh, I probably would have bought on the west side. That area is growing fast.

Compared to SoCal, the cost of living and housing in this area is ridiculously inexpensive. So, its our little secret OK? we don't want a flood of people storming in here driving costs up LOL. I am curious though how a SoCal guy wound up in Evansville, IN?

Welcome to the area and BTW, I did background investigations for security clearances on Camp Pendleton for about 8 years after I retired from the Navy and my son did 5 years in the Marines!

Old 08-23-2020, 02:39 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Evansville is a very bad area for air quality, it will take another 10-20 years for improvements to be made as obsolete power plants are finally retired and replaced with cleaner sources. In fact, Evansville is surrounded on multiple sides by three very toxic super polluter power plants: Gibson, Rockport, and Petersburg.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:01 PM

148 posts, read 121,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Evansville is a very bad area for air quality, it will take another 10-20 years for improvements to be made as obsolete power plants are finally retired and replaced with cleaner sources. In fact, Evansville is surrounded on multiple sides by three very toxic super polluter power plants: Gibson, Rockport, and Petersburg.
You’ve never been to LA or China have you?
There’s real toxic air on display.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
I sure have and LA used to have far worse air quality before catalytic converters.. That doesn't negate the fact that Evansville has bad air quality issues. As mentioned, things have been improving a bit, but it will take another 10-20 years at least for the majority of the Ohio Valley to have good air quality.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:22 AM

1,459 posts, read 1,400,393 times
https://www3.epa.gov/myem/envmap/mye...na&pTheme=home

Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 AM

208 posts, read 99,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward59 View Post
What does China or LA have to do with Evansville's air quality? It's not like they are mutually exclusive. Any city can have bad air quality.

Old 08-24-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
The link doesn't have any recent comprehensive data. It doesn't negate the fact that the city is surrounded by multiple super polluters that haven't retired yet in addition to coal ash retention ponds contaminating multiple rivers. No one should ever consume fish anywhere in southern Indiana due to contamination from mercury and other toxins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana