Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:23 AM

173 posts, read 236,284 times

Advertisements

I've heard instead of "huh" or "what did you say" people in indiana will say "do what?" Ive also heard pellow instead of pillow.

The northern towns you mentioned like Peru I've typically heard pronounced correctly. Its towns in southern Indiana that typically are pronounced differently than what I've been taught is correct. Versailles is ver-sales instead of ver-sigh. I've definitely heard people call Illinois, Ill-i-noise as another poster mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 01:09 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,169,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
"pin" for pen, "git" for get, and "melk" for milk are all Southern - not Midwestern.
The 'pin-pen merger' is definitely a Southern trait, one that seems to be spreading, though.

I find 'melk' to be a common pronunciation in the Great Lakes states/Upper Midwest and assumed it was part of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift and consistent with pronunciation of the word in Scandinavian languages and Dutch, peoples who settled Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota in great numbers.

Old 11-28-2019, 03:36 PM

5,393 posts, read 8,074,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
Interesting. As I said, I lived in IN over 40 years, and everyone I know pronounces Peru and Brazil just as the countries are pronounced. And the 3rd has always been pronounced ROOSH-aville in my experience. But who knows??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Pee-roo and Bray- zil are old people dialect. No one under 50 pronounces those towns like that.
A post in another thread from somebody who lives in Peru: "We who live here it is Peeroo not pronounce like the country Peru."

The whole post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/55206124-post5.html

Old 11-29-2019, 10:57 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
A post in another thread from somebody who lives in Peru: "We who live here it is Peeroo not pronounce like the country Peru."

The whole post here: //www.city-data.com/forum/55206124-post5.html
One of my best friends is from Peru. We go to Missisinewa to swim and get ice cream at Double Dip every summer. The info about Pee-roo being old person dialect comes from him and my own visits. Your quoting a post that is 10 years old and could well be a senior citizen.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:01 AM

2,992 posts, read 2,313,687 times
I think these are either old or rural or both. My parents used most of these words and pronunciations. They were from Wyoming. They never lived in the South or anywhere near Indiana.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
One of my best friends is from Peru. We go to Missisinewa to swim and get ice cream at Double Dip every summer. The info about Pee-roo being old person dialect comes from him and my own visits. Your quoting a post that is 10 years old and could well be a senior citizen.

5-17-2019 is 10 years old??

Old 11-30-2019, 08:13 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,407,945 times
I remember my mom calling the Peony flower Pineys. I remember a grade school teacher who pounded into us that there is no “noise” in Illinois and there’s no “pie” in piano, so we must have said those. I also remember saying “outen the light” (turn if off) growing up and having an arguement in college trying to claim that outen was a real world. I then figured maybe it due to growing up near an Amish community. So, did anyone else say Outen the light?

Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I remember my mom calling the Peony flower Pineys. I remember a grade school teacher who pounded into us that there is no “noise” in Illinois and there’s no “pie” in piano, so we must have said those. I also remember saying “outen the light” (turn if off) growing up and having an arguement in college trying to claim that outen was a real world. I then figured maybe it due to growing up near an Amish community. So, did anyone else say Outen the light?
Outen doesn't seem to be in ordinary English dictionaries, but it is in the 12 volume in the printed version Oxford English Dictionary, which I have on a CD:

outen, v. U.S. dial.

(ˈaʊtən)

[perh. f. out adv. 22 a, 23: see -en5.]

1.1 To extinguish, put out, erase.

***1916 Dialect Notes IV. 338 Be sure to outen the light when you go to bed. ***1933 M. K. Rawlings South Moon Under 331 Outen that light. ***1937 Amer. Speech XII. 205 The average [Pennsylvania German] speaker will employ in speech, and often in writing, all the forms ascribed above to the educated person, and in addition‥such forms as ‘outen the light’, [etc.]. ***1950 Publ. Amer. Dial. Soc. XIV. 50 Outen: v.t., to extinguish, as a fire. To erase, as writing on a slate. ***1961 in Webster, You might outen the candles there.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:49 AM

15,930 posts, read 20,899,784 times
From my IN gramma (she's in her late nineties now), though some of these might have some KY influence from her younger years.
She 'warshed' her dishes in the 'zinc', she flushed the 'terlet', changed the 'earl', in the car and fixed a flat 'tar'.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:10 AM

2,992 posts, read 2,313,687 times
My parents said "warshcloth" and I remember Archie Bunker (of Queens, New York, I think) saying "terlet." I think a lot of these pronunciations are generational. I've never heard anyone under 50 use them.

The only terms I've heard here that were new to me were "pitch-in" (pot luck), "double" (duplex) and "sweeper" (vacuum cleaner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana