Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2020, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 13,102 times

Advertisements

My neighbors are always playing their stereo at all hours of the day and night. I have sent several recordings to my landlord. I have tried a white noise machine. The stereo is louder than my white noise machine. I can't even enjoy a movie anymore. I am dealing with health issues as well. How can one break a lease without penalty here in Indiana? I am in Speedway, Indiana if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 04:25 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,204,425 times
Please read this article on the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment which I believe is recognized in Indiana:

https://www.fool.com/millionacres/re...s-and-tenants/

Because it’s an implied covenant it does not have to be specified in the lease.

What exactly has the landlord said when you brought the issue up? I would make sure you write a formal letter sent certified mail to the landlord explaining the situation first, citing the recordings. Talking to an attorney or tenant’s rights/advocacy organization would be advisable as well.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 13,102 times
Thanks for the info. I am getting the whole "we will talk to them" response. The talking never works. They are playing their stereo too loud right now at almost 10 pm. I am trying to go to bed.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe611 View Post
My neighbors are always playing their stereo at all hours of the day and night. I have sent several recordings to my landlord. I have tried a white noise machine. The stereo is louder than my white noise machine. I can't even enjoy a movie anymore. I am dealing with health issues as well. How can one break a lease without penalty here in Indiana? I am in Speedway, Indiana if that helps.
Have you tried asking your neighbors in a nice way if they could lower the volume on their stereo? They may not even realize it's as loud as it is. Explain to them you are dealing with health issues and it's of utmost importance you get plenty of sleep. If they are decent and considerate people, they will try to accomodate you. If they don't accomodate you, then try giving a them list of your favorite musical artists and ask them to at least play some music from that list. If they still refuse, and your landlord doesn't do anything to help the situation, and you can't break the lease, then call the police next time they blare the music while you're trying to sleep. Surely there are noise ordinances there, and if they continue, they will be fined.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 09-14-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 09-15-2020, 12:42 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoe611 View Post
What did the police say when you called about violations of local noise ordinances?

Old 02-09-2021, 07:32 AM

1,094 posts, read 883,193 times
Funny, but the first thing I thought of was playing loud music to break the lease.

Is the sound coming through the windows or the walls?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
View detailed profiles of: