Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 11:45 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,968,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Evansville's tallest building is about to be demolished in about the most Evansville move possible. It has been mostly vacant for almost two decades.
I suppose I meant as far as stagnation and size the two cities seem to have similarities. Regrettable to demolish such a large and prominent building, but at least something will take its place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 12:20 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
You grew up on the west side of Evansville, supposedly. Why don't you tell us?
Because we are so isolated on the west side we aren’t even really aware of our perception. We were always taught the west side was the best, but no one else thinks that. And I haven’t lived there since college. Why are you answering my question with a question?

Old 05-21-2021, 12:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Because we are so isolated on the west side we aren’t even really aware of our perception. We were always taught the west side was the best, but no one else thinks that. And I haven’t lived there since college. Why are you answering my question with a question?
Because it is obvious you already know the answer to the question you asked.

Old 05-21-2021, 01:58 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Quote:
Because it is obvious you already know the answer to the question you asked.
Why would I ask a question I already know the answer to??? Next time if you don’t have an answer to what I ask just don’t reply.

Old 07-15-2021, 04:28 PM

82 posts, read 95,610 times
I did a lot of business with the barge loaders in Mount Vernon for about a decade through the 2010s, and used to head down to Mt Vernon (IN)/Evansville about once a month. I've got some fond memories there and good clients who became friends.

I always thought it had a lot of potential, but like some users said, if felt kinda stagnant: not growing, but not really declining either. I think the universities have tried to grown enrollment, and last time I was there in 2019, Franklin St felt pretty lively, almost cool.

Geographically, for logistics-related businesses, Evansville is in a great spot and punches below its weight. It should give Louisville a run for its money but I felt like it never reached its potential. I'm 100% convinced that finishing I-69 will be a boon to Evansville... the draw territory for the river is going to increase tremendously and it could pull some business away from Louisville.

I always thought if Evansville could ever get a straight shot to I-70, that would be a further boon. I'm convinced we're going to see the 'revenge of the old economy' (manufacturing, logistics, resource processing, etc) this decade, and Evansville could reap the rewards if it plays its card right. The Ohio River is a huge asset.

These types of 2nd and 3rd tier cities could greatly benefit from relatively low cost of living, and they have the basic bones to redevelop walkable, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods. Evansville has good bones; it just needs a bit of refresh. I'm hoping it's coming soon.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:55 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,735,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEddy View Post
I did a lot of business with the barge loaders in Mount Vernon for about a decade through the 2010s, and used to head down to Mt Vernon (IN)/Evansville about once a month. I've got some fond memories there and good clients who became friends.

I always thought it had a lot of potential, but like some users said, if felt kinda stagnant: not growing, but not really declining either. I think the universities have tried to grown enrollment, and last time I was there in 2019, Franklin St felt pretty lively, almost cool.

Geographically, for logistics-related businesses, Evansville is in a great spot and punches below its weight. It should give Louisville a run for its money but I felt like it never reached its potential. I'm 100% convinced that finishing I-69 will be a boon to Evansville... the draw territory for the river is going to increase tremendously and it could pull some business away from Louisville.

I always thought if Evansville could ever get a straight shot to I-70, that would be a further boon. I'm convinced we're going to see the 'revenge of the old economy' (manufacturing, logistics, resource processing, etc) this decade, and Evansville could reap the rewards if it plays its card right. The Ohio River is a huge asset.

These types of 2nd and 3rd tier cities could greatly benefit from relatively low cost of living, and they have the basic bones to redevelop walkable, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods. Evansville has good bones; it just needs a bit of refresh. I'm hoping it's coming soon.
Evansville "steal from Louisville?" Get out of town. Do you think Milwaukee will steal from Chicago?

Louisville is in a whole different stratosphere. So much so that Louisville has suburbs in Indiana that are leagues above Evansville in walkability, size, and urbanity.

Evansville is what it is...the Wichita of the Ohio Valley. It isn't a bad place but it's not going to grow any time soon and will bleed it's young for decades to come with surrounding, trendier cities like Louisville to benefit.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:11 PM

66 posts, read 138,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Never been through Evansville and my wife and I were talking about the area last night. In the past (based on research and conversation) I feel like the city has gotten a bad rap. Is it dying a slow death or reviving itself? What's it known for and is it a nice place to live?
Yes, I too think Evansville has gotten a bad rap and I think "stagnant" is the wrong word to describe the Evansville area. I think a better description would be "stable". My family moved from Grayson County, Kentucky to Evansville in 1963 when I was 10 years old. I was raised in the inner city and have lived on the west side (Red Bank Rd) and now live in Newburgh so I feel like I know the area pretty well. I have also lived in Southern California for 30 years and Portland, Oregon for 4 years. So, I've been around a little and have bought real estate in all three states.

For example, in 1986 when I moved to the Portland area, it was a pocket of very cheap real estate on the West Coast. The Seattle area was super expensive and was pushing high prices south and the crazy prices of Southern California and the Bay Area of California was pushing higher prices north up the West Coast through Oregon to Portland. That pocket started to disappear during the 4 years I lived there as swarms of Californians loaded with equity money bought up everything on the market. They drove prices up so fast, the locals were priced out of the marked and turned the whole area into a giant construction zone that became a nightmare of a place to live. I was so glad to leave that area, but the real estate prices in Portland are now in balance with the rest of the West Coast.

I see Evansville and the whole SW area of Indiana being in a somewhat similar position. It is currently a pocket of beautiful real estate on the Ohio river that is incredibly under valued. Nashville which is just 150 miles south of Evansville has literally exploded, as has their real estate prices. While it is true that Tennessee has some tax advantages over Indiana, the extremely low real estate prices will easily overcome any tax advantages. Money always flows to where the best deal can be had and I am thinking eyes will eventually turn toward the gently rolling hills of Southern Indiana.

Evansville residents have a inferiority complex because they think there is nothing "special" about the area, ... grass is greener on the other side type of mentality. Even on City Data other residents and people who have lived here make negative comments about it. Since I moved back, people say things like "I can't believe you moved back here from California"?? That's because many locals don't have a clue and still think California is the same as it was in the 1960's with the beach boys singing around the campfire on the beach and that it is heaven on earth. Believe me...just no! When I think of California, I think of massive freeways with 10 lanes on each side packed with thousands of cars all creeping along at 10 MPH!! Talk about living a stressful life!

So to answer the OPs question, yes, Evansville is a nice, quiet, relaxed, safe place to live and I hope it never changes but, I fear that it will and it won't be long in coming. In addition to being a pocket of cheap real estate, the people are great, friendly, down to earth and unassuming. The COL is one of the lowest in the nation.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:48 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,279,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKYY View Post
For example, in 1986 when I moved to the Portland area, it was a pocket of very cheap real estate on the West Coast. The Seattle area was super expensive and was pushing high prices south and the crazy prices of Southern California and the Bay Area of California was pushing higher prices north up the West Coast through Oregon to Portland. That pocket started to disappear during the 4 years I lived there as swarms of Californians loaded with equity money bought up everything on the market. They drove prices up so fast, the locals were priced out of the marked and turned the whole area into a giant construction zone that became a nightmare of a place to live. I was so glad to leave that area, but the real estate prices in Portland are now in balance with the rest of the West Coast.

I see Evansville and the whole SW area of Indiana being in a somewhat similar position. It is currently a pocket of beautiful real estate on the Ohio river that is incredibly under valued. Nashville which is just 150 miles south of Evansville has literally exploded, as has their real estate prices. While it is true that Tennessee has some tax advantages over Indiana, the extremely low real estate prices will easily overcome any tax advantages. Money always flows to where the best deal can be had and I am thinking eyes will eventually turn toward the gently rolling hills of Southern Indiana.

Indiana isn't Oregon, and the Midwest isn't the West Coast. The dynamics that drove people to Portland from Seattle don't currently exist in Southern Indiana. Portland was already triple the size of Evansville in the 70s/80s, so it was a logical place for people looking for a city but felt they were being priced out of higher priced cities. Why would someone who feels priced out of Chicago or Nashville choose Evansville over Indianapolis, Louisville, or even Cincinnati? Nashville itself exploded, but it made sense in 2000 that Nashville could explode. They already had the music industry, there was already a degree of prestige around the Nashville brand, coupled with the already growing sun belt shift of 20 years ago. Which of those dynamics are relevant to Evansville?

Quote:
Evansville residents have a inferiority complex because they think there is nothing "special" about the area, ... grass is greener on the other side type of mentality.
This is not unique to Evansville.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:59 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Yes, I too think Evansville has gotten a bad rap and I think "stagnant" is the wrong word to describe the Evansville area. I think a better description would be "stable". My family moved from Grayson County, Kentucky to Evansville in 1963 when I was 10 years old. I was raised in the inner city and have lived on the west side (Red Bank Rd) and now live in Newburgh so I feel like I know the area pretty well. I have also lived in Southern California for 30 years and Portland, Oregon for 4 years. So, I've been around a little and have bought real estate in all three states.

Evansville residents have a inferiority complex because they think there is nothing "special" about the area, ... grass is greener on the other side type of mentality. Even on City Data other residents and people who have lived here make negative comments about it. Since I moved back, people say things like "I can't believe you moved back here from California"?? That's because many locals don't have a clue and still think California is the same as it was in the 1960's with the beach boys singing around the campfire on the beach and that it is heaven on earth. Believe me...just no! When I think of California, I think of massive freeways with 10 lanes on each side packed with thousands of cars all creeping along at 10 MPH!! Talk about living a stressful life!

So to answer the OPs question, yes, Evansville is a nice, quiet, relaxed, safe place to live and I hope it never changes but, I fear that it will and it won't be long in coming. In addition to being a pocket of cheap real estate, the people are great, friendly, down to earth and unassuming. The COL is one of the lowest in the nation.
Don't forget the green choking smog when you're creeping along at 10 mph - or more likely, just stopped. If not for 39 million people, California would rival Alaska for being our most beautiful state, and some areas still are sparsely settled.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,146,393 times
Quote:
Indiana isn't Oregon, and the Midwest isn't the West Coast. The dynamics that drove people to Portland from Seattle don't currently exist in Southern Indiana.
Thank your lucky stars for this^^^...it might just be what saves Southern Indiana (and other lesser-known areas) from being overrun.

HOWEVER, let's not forget with today's technology, more and more people can work remotely. Not everyone wants or needs a certain "scene" to be happy living someplace. In fact, a lot of people have only stayed put in a high population area because that's where their employment was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana