Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Indiana to be the eastern Midwest/eastern cornbelt?
I would say Ohio is the eastern limit to the Midwest though Indiana is also not too far from the border 7 50.00%
Indiana is in the eastern corn belt but I still wouldn’t consider anything in the Midwest as “Eastern” 2 14.29%
No. Indiana is the stereotype of what defines the Midwest, there’s nothing remotely eastern about Indiana 6 42.86%
Other option/opinion(please explain why you voted this option in the poll 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM

35,056 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why is most of Indiana on Eastern time? Does that make the state Eastern or Midwestern? I never understood how what region a state is considered to be developed. Even part of Florida which is definitely East Coast is in Central Time. I would consider Indiana to be part of the Central US which is the Midwest.

I definitely would not consider PA the Midwest. Be it Pittsburgh or any other community in that state.
The good thing about being in EST is that there are some very long summer evenings. The sun doesn't set until 9:16 in Fishers on June 21. Civil twilight goes until nearly 10 PM.

The flip side of that is that makes for very late sunrises in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 01:41 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,399,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The good thing about being in EST is that there are some very long summer evenings. The sun doesn't set until 9:16 in Fishers on June 21. Civil twilight goes until nearly 10 PM.
If you are in a bordering county to the EST/EDT it doesn't make any difference.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:24 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
If you are in a bordering county to the EST/EDT it doesn't make any difference.
What are you talking about?

Old 12-06-2021, 03:19 PM

24 posts, read 16,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Why is most of Indiana on Eastern time? Does that make the state Eastern or Midwestern? I never understood how what region a state is considered to be developed. Even part of Florida which is definitely East Coast is in Central Time. I would consider Indiana to be part of the Central US which is the Midwest.

We started observing DST about 15 years ago, against almost everyone's will (including mine). They finally told us it would "help with business" so people went for it. CST just sounded like getting dark earlier in the winter, whereas EST sounded like staying light later in the summer, so it was a relatively easy choice.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:21 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Pittsburgh is most definitely a northeast city. PA is a northeast state. And the culture of the Pittsburgh area is more like areas further east than west. Having grown up in New England and also having spent a lot of time in NY it is evident that Midwest starts in OH, not western PA.
A few years ago, there was a thread about this very topic. I wont rehash but most posters (including Northeasterners) in that thread did not consider Pittsburgh, a Northeast city.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:47 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
A few years ago, there was a thread about this very topic. I wont rehash but most posters (including Northeasterners) in that thread did not consider Pittsburgh, a Northeast city.
I don't know anyone in New England that considers Pennsylvania or any city or town in it a Midwestern location. Years ago I had a friend that said Buffalo, NY had a bit of a Midwest feel to it but that was because of how the towns and cities are platted and the flatter terrain. Having lived in Buffalo and WNY for a while, I can say it is not Midwestern either.

Using the flawed logic that these people you mention don't believe that Pittsburgh is not a city in the Northeast, I guess we could say that a cities and towns in northern New England being so close to Canada and having strong ties to Canada are really a part of Canada and not the USA. Absurd. Simply put. PA is a state in the Northeast and ANY city or town within its borders is a Northeast city or town.

Old 12-07-2021, 08:00 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Second Larry View Post
We started observing DST about 15 years ago, against almost everyone's will (including mine). They finally told us it would "help with business" so people went for it. CST just sounded like getting dark earlier in the winter, whereas EST sounded like staying light later in the summer, so it was a relatively easy choice.
Indiana was already on Eastern Time when we started observing DST. That didn't change, and it wasn't up for debate in 2005. There were a couple of border counties that switched to Central, but I believe most of those have gone back.

Old 12-07-2021, 10:09 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I don't know anyone in New England that considers Pennsylvania or any city or town in it a Midwestern location. Years ago I had a friend that said Buffalo, NY had a bit of a Midwest feel to it but that was because of how the towns and cities are platted and the flatter terrain. Having lived in Buffalo and WNY for a while, I can say it is not Midwestern either.

Using the flawed logic that these people you mention don't believe that Pittsburgh is not a city in the Northeast, I guess we could say that a cities and towns in northern New England being so close to Canada and having strong ties to Canada are really a part of Canada and not the USA. Absurd. Simply put. PA is a state in the Northeast and ANY city or town within its borders is a Northeast city or town.
I Agree people from New England would feel PA is Northeastern. Living in New England as a kid it felt like both American and Canadian cultures in the region I lived. Which was the border of Northern RI and Mass. However we knew we were in the US but seriously it felt like Quebec much of the time lol. Very heavy populations of French Canadians that worked in all the factories and Mills. Life was in both French and English for me, and French was a required language at the local schools. I'm not French I'm Irish alot of us in New England also,, along with the Portuguese and Brazilian.

Perhaps people that feel Pittsburgh is Midwestern feel the city has a Midwestern feel to it vs a Northeast feel. Either or Geographically Pittsburgh and all of PA is a Northeast region. Indiana is and always will be a Central USA Midwestern State.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 12-07-2021 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-07-2021, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Indiana was already on Eastern Time when we started observing DST. That didn't change, and it wasn't up for debate in 2005. There were a couple of border counties that switched to Central, but I believe most of those have gone back.
Thanks for that info

Old 12-07-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Second Larry View Post
Oh OK 15 years ago. Thanks for that info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana