Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 07:32 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,081,286 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at this town for relocation purposes. Tired of urban living and want a small town.

I just want to get some opinions of the place and area in general. I've noted during a recent visit that there is some rebuilding of the infrastructure especially in the downtown area and a couple of new businesses are being built. Seems to be a good sign despite the recent loss in population based upon the census data I've seen for HC. That is common with many rural towns of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 06:16 AM

468 posts, read 465,572 times
Hartford City is a little off the beaten path. Closest city would probably be Marion or Muncie. You might want to get a bit closer to Fort Wayne where there are more things to do. Bluffton might be better for you. It's a small town but closer to Fort Wayne. If you are retired or are a remote worker and do not care about any entertainment then I suppose Hartford City would be ok. I grew up in Indiana and lived there much of my life and I never heard of anyone wanting to move to Hartford City. I never heard anything bad about th area though. It's just a typical farm community. I would imagine that past residents worked in the nearby automobile plants located in Muncie, Anderson and Marion but those jobs are long gone.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:07 AM

Entertainment or a lack of it is not an issue. I create my own fun with my hobbies and radio work.

Muncie and Marion are 20 miles away. Close enough for employment if necessary or some shopping and eating and far enough away to avoid the crowds.

Just looking for a small town where I will get some peace and quiet. Clean air also. Had enough of urban living at this point.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:04 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I rember back in the late 60's and early 70's Blackford County had about the only XXX out door drive in theater in probably all of Indiana or for at least hundreds of miles around. It was always busy. You had to be 18 to get in but you could drive down the country road that went by the drive in and you could see all the action on the screen for free. That drive in theater was very controversial, especially for the people who lived near there. The first xxx movie I ever saw was "Deep Throat" at the Blackford. I was a senior in high school. That movie got a lot of publicity back in it's day. It was probably the most famous xxx movie ever made.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I rember back in the late 60's and early 70's Blackford County had about the only XXX out door drive in theater in probably all of Indiana or for at least hundreds of miles around. It was always busy. You had to be 18 to get in but you could drive down the country road that went by the drive in and you could see all the action on the screen for free. That drive in theater was very controversial, especially for the people who lived near there. The first xxx movie I ever saw was "Deep Throat" at the Blackford. I was a senior in high school. That movie got a lot of publicity back in it's day. It was probably the most famous xxx movie ever made.
LOL. Quite a memory of that town. I've visited it four times in the last year and a half and I don't think they have any more drive in theaters.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Entertainment or a lack of it is not an issue. I create my own fun with my hobbies and radio work.

Muncie and Marion are 20 miles away. Close enough for employment if necessary or some shopping and eating and far enough away to avoid the crowds.

Just looking for a small town where I will get some peace and quiet. Clean air also. Had enough of urban living at this point.
I'd say Hartford City would work for you. I used to drive back to Fort Wayne from Indy and I'd get off I69 and drive through Hartford City just to have a less boring drive. Unlike most Americans I like rural Indiana. The farther away from interstates and airports I am the better I like it.

Good luck and hope you like Indiana.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I'd say Hartford City would work for you. I used to drive back to Fort Wayne from Indy and I'd get off I69 and drive through Hartford City just to have a less boring drive. Unlike most Americans I like rural Indiana. The farther away from interstates and airports I am the better I like it.

Good luck and hope you like Indiana.
I expect I will be happier living in a smaller town like Hartford City than my time in Indianapolis. Different attitude from the people in the small towns or many of them vs. the metro area. The clean air is the big thing for me since I am getting weary of sneezing all the time where I presently live and when I lived in Indy I was usually dizzy or light headed from the air. In fact I stopped at IKEA on my way back from my trip to HC two weekends ago and sure enough as I got into Fishers I started to get light headed. By the time I got to Shelbyville the condition started to abate and by Greensburg I felt normal again.

Quick question. Are the people in the HC area generally happy living there? I am tired of living in areas like my current one and also Indy where people seem miserable and unhappy all the time and it results in nasty dispositions when dealing with people at work and in stores and restaurants.

Last edited by WILWRadio; 09-14-2021 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I expect I will be happier living in a smaller town like Hartford City than my time in Indianapolis. Different attitude from the people in the small towns or many of them vs. the metro area. The clean air is the big thing for me since I am getting weary of sneezing all the time where I presently live and when I lived in Indy I was usually dizzy or light headed from the air. In fact I stopped at IKEA on my way back from my trip to HC two weekends ago and sure enough as I got into Fishers I started to get light headed. By the time I got to Shelbyville the condition started to abate and by Greensburg I felt normal again.

Quick question. Are the people in the HC area generally happy living there? I am tired of living in areas like my current one and also Indy where people seem miserable and unhappy all the time and it results in nasty dispositions when dealing with people at work and in stores and restaurants.

I think you seem to have positive expectations and that will help you adjust there. I never met anyone from Hartford City but I have met many small town Hoosiers and most of them tend to never move away. I spent most of my life in Indiana and I always preferred the less populated places but I found it more convenient to live in Fort Wayne when I worked there. When I retired I moved to a small city in Florida because Fort Wayne was a bit too big for my liking. I have been in Florida for almost 9 years and I often wonder if I'd been better off staying in Indiana. Cost of living is much better in Indiana and I still have some long time friends there.

Hartford City certainly won't be like Indy and since you've realized that you don't like the big city life I'd think you'll have to visit Hartford City and try to connect with some locals. Most small towns have a bar or two or a restaurant so I'd go to one of them and strike up a conversation with someone. I did that many years ago when I moved to Columbia City Indiana and it helped me decide to move there. I imagine the locals would be interested in you and they'd probably wonder how you got interested in their town.

I wish I could be of more help.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
I think you seem to have positive expectations and that will help you adjust there. I never met anyone from Hartford City but I have met many small town Hoosiers and most of them tend to never move away. I spent most of my life in Indiana and I always preferred the less populated places but I found it more convenient to live in Fort Wayne when I worked there. When I retired I moved to a small city in Florida because Fort Wayne was a bit too big for my liking. I have been in Florida for almost 9 years and I often wonder if I'd been better off staying in Indiana. Cost of living is much better in Indiana and I still have some long time friends there.

Hartford City certainly won't be like Indy and since you've realized that you don't like the big city life I'd think you'll have to visit Hartford City and try to connect with some locals. Most small towns have a bar or two or a restaurant so I'd go to one of them and strike up a conversation with someone. I did that many years ago when I moved to Columbia City Indiana and it helped me decide to move there. I imagine the locals would be interested in you and they'd probably wonder how you got interested in their town.

I wish I could be of more help.
Actually I've been there several times in the past year and a half. Have made a couple of local connections including a small business owner. His input has been helpful and he seems to think I should be fine there. Several years ago I worked as a courier in Indy and I made three medical deliveries to HC over a two and a half year period. I do recall the people were pleasant and easy to deal with compared to many in the Indy area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana