Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2022, 06:35 AM

732 posts, read 968,177 times

Advertisements

Sorry if not the best place to put this thread, not sure where is best.

My trip start and end are very near I-90 well past Indiana. But I want to avoid Chicago and obviously must drive through Indiana. Last year I diverted to 94 to 80 out to 39 to avoid Chicago, but it was not a great route, many many many trucks and on way back it had a 20 mile backup in Chicago area, plus it was pretty convoluted and was not a great route overall.

I see on maps there is a route 24 in Indiana that can get me to 39 in Illinois. Is driving on 24 from Toledo all the way through Indiana on 24 a reasonable route? It looks like going west past Logansport on 24 there are many small towns to go through, having never done it, is this a killer to taking this route?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by TestEngr; 04-19-2022 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
I've driven 24 in years past when I worked as a courier. Not recently but it was not 50 years ago either. Yes, that can work if you want to avoid traffic. I last drove it about four years ago and it is not a busy road through most of the state. Route 30 further north could also work to Valparaiso and possibly Merrillville but you would want to head south on I 65 instead of north in Merrillville. 30 west after Merrillville does get busy traffic wise.

If you use a good GPS it can route you properly through some back roads south of Merrillville and likely pick a exit that will be less traveled south on I 65. You may not have to go as far south as 24 to accomplish your task of avoiding heavy traffic. Time of day will also matter of course.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:40 AM

Thanks, that is an option clipping off the corner of greater Chicago/Garyland by staying north, heading down 65 and take some road over though I read 30 is not great for doing that and it keeps me in some traffic probably or most likely. I will look at it some more. 24 connects to Toledo I-90 so I can take that easy enough, just it looks slow due to small towns instead of 20 mile backups and truck convoys for Chicago. Chicago is sure hard to avoid.... and yet all the roads almost force a person into Chicago area and 24 is the only one that doesn't. Also looks like everyone uses the 90 to 94 to 80 to 39 and back up to 90 I did last year, though 39 is great and 80 way out are great just the closer to Chicago you are they aren't great. I get to Chicago around 4 to 6 PM coming both ways unfortunately, if I get near it that is and don't try 24 or an alternative.

Last edited by TestEngr; 04-19-2022 at 08:12 AM..

Old 04-19-2022, 08:12 AM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
Thanks, that is an option clipping off the corner of greater Chicago/Garyland by staying north, heading down 65 and take some road over though I read 30 is not great for doing that and it keeps me in some traffic probably or most likely. I will look at it some more. 24 connects to Toledo so I can take that easy enough, just it looks slow due to small towns instead of 20 mile backups and truck convoys for Chicago. Chicago is sure hard to avoid.... and yet all the roads almost force a person into Chicago area and 24 is the only one that doesn't.
West of Merrillville you will hit traffic on 30. With 24 you will pass through a few small towns but will also bypass the in town traffic in larger towns like Logansport and Peru. I drove 24 through much of the state not that long ago and it is still an easy ride most of the way and you won't hit Chicago traffic. You may also be able to use 25 for a portion of your trip if you find any road work along the way. That too is not a heavily traveled road.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:26 AM

174 posts, read 243,301 times
We have driven 24 from Fort Wayne to Toledo and that portion is really fast and essentially speed limits and amount of lanes make that portion a very fast drive. Not lots of traffic on that portion in comparison to 69 and others.

While I haven't driven 24 from Fort Wayne across the state towards Lafayette we have done similar drives elsewhere. Such as taking 421 instead of 65 when going North towards Michigan.

It usually has been a very easy drive. Yes you slow down when you come to small towns, but typically you can still be zooming along in the 50 to 70 mph range. Alot of times the big interstates are even faster mph speed limits, BUT like you said IF a traffic jam occurs it's more likely to impact the interstate vs 24 route.

For us on bad days the slower route typically only adds 5-10 minutes more to our drive. On good days if traffic is bad on interstate but good for us we've saved 30 or more minutes. And as WILWRadio said alot of times 24 doesn't go through the downtown portion of the town so you don't slow down nearly as much as you might think.

Old 04-19-2022, 07:06 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,303,339 times
Quote:
Sorry if not the best place to put this thread, not sure where is best.

My trip start and end are very near I-90 well past Indiana. But I want to avoid Chicago and obviously must drive through Indiana. Last year I diverted to 94 to 80 out to 39 to avoid Chicago, but it was not a great route, many many many trucks and on way back it had a 20 mile backup in Chicago area, plus it was pretty convoluted and was not a great route overall.

I see on maps there is a route 24 in Indiana that can get me to 39 in Illinois. Is driving on 24 from Toledo all the way through Indiana on 24 a reasonable route? It looks like going west past Logansport on 24 there are many small towns to go through, having never done it, is this a killer to taking this route?

Thanks for your time.
A lot depends on your final destination. US 24 may work if headed for St Louis or Iowa. Going to Milwaukee would be very hard but you could pick up I-43 from I-39. If you are trying to avoid any tolls becomes very difficult.

Old 04-20-2022, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
A lot depends on your final destination. US 24 may work if headed for St Louis or Iowa. Going to Milwaukee would be very hard but you could pick up I-43 from I-39. If you are trying to avoid any tolls becomes very difficult.
My start and end are right off I-90 so I am most definitely not trying to avoid tolls since I am paying them the whole way for most part. I am trying to avoid Chicago basically and go to I-90 in southern Minnesota (Rochester, MN). Last year I did the 90 to 94 to 294 to 80 to 39 back up to 90 like is mentioned lots of places, but it is not great, very convoluted, and very busy so it doesn't really avoid extended Chicago. 39 in Illinois is a real good one but looking for another way to get to 39.

Last edited by TestEngr; 04-20-2022 at 05:03 AM..

Old 04-20-2022, 07:35 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,303,339 times
Quote:
My start and end are right off I-90 so I am most definitely not trying to avoid tolls since I am paying them the whole way for most part. I am trying to avoid Chicago basically and go to I-90 in southern Minnesota (Rochester, MN). Last year I did the 90 to 94 to 294 to 80 to 39 back up to 90 like is mentioned lots of places, but it is not great, very convoluted, and very busy so it doesn't really avoid extended Chicago. 39 in Illinois is a real good one but looking for another way to get to 39.
From Ohio maybe US 30 can be a decent route Fort Wayne into Merrillville then pick up 65 back to 80. US 30 gets bad at IL/IN border but you could pick up 57 into 80. Anything to avoid I-90 Skyway toll then go thru 90/94 thru the center of the city. I-290 also gets very tricky as you approach 90 & a slow cloverleaf. Some may use 294 to 290 to 90. Better route may be 80 to 355 to 88 & 39. No good state or US routes.

Getting from 80 to 90/94 into Wisconsin & Minnesota is a chore.

Old 04-20-2022, 08:37 PM

18 posts, read 26,141 times
Once you are a good 1.5 hours/60-90 miles out of Chicago, the country roads through IL and IN are easy drives with minimal traffic. Both states are kicking off construction projects but it's nowhere near the slowdowns you'd see in Chicago. Some good music and it can be a very enjoyable drive.

Old 04-26-2022, 03:37 PM

629 posts, read 408,204 times
Quote:

Thanks for your time.
Save yourself any further consideration. The route you propose is FINE. I drive US 24 all the time from Fort Wayne to Kansas City, and wouldn't go any other way.

Although the route west from Logansport is only 2 lane, it flows freely, and the rolling topography is interesting. You'll be fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana