Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:53 PM

158 posts, read 610,508 times

Advertisements

I would love to read on people's thoughts about moving to Fort Wayne versus moving to Bloomington. We have a chance to move to either one. I guess it would be important to note that we are a young family....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM

6 posts, read 9,303 times
First, I love living in Bloomington. With that said, Bloomington and Fort Wayne are two very different places. I view Ft. Wayne as more typical midwest. Bloomington is more quirky and laid back. I would research them carefully and visit both to see which matches your needs. If you visit bloomington, check out the busy calendar of things to do; its a lively scene. Be sure to look at a range of housing types. There a nifty old neighborhoods close in, and beautiful rolling, wooded subdivisions further out. East side is more "gown" (and more expensive) and west side more "town". Check school districts carefully with attention to changing patterns.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:38 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I went to college near fort wayne and graduate school in Bloomington. The above poster is spot on ... they are night and day from each other. Bloomington is a traditional college town ... artsy, funky shops, great food, more diverse in terms of countries represented thanks to IU. Fort Wayne is a largeish midwest city, blue collar at it's heart, more grown up than Bloomington (since a good majority of it's population during the schoolyear are IU students).

Old 06-15-2009, 09:07 PM

202 posts, read 763,298 times
Fort Wayne is more punk rock than Bloomington.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac138 View Post
Fort Wayne is more punk rock than Bloomington.
you're joking.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:33 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,509 times
Fort Wayne is dull and boring. But can be an alright place if you are a family oriented, soccer mom type person I suppose.....

Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM

158 posts, read 610,508 times
Well, it turns out the better job was in Fort Wayne. So... off we go!
I wouldn't call myself a soccer mom (though I am a mom and I love soccer ) but I do have young children and it looks like FW has a lot to offer my family. Let's hope my impression is on the mark! Of course, that doesn't mean I can't visit Bloomington and suck up some of the artistic atmosphere!

Old 06-19-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,971 times
I live in Fort Wayne and love it, like it way more than Bloomington. I hope you enjoy it!

Old 06-20-2009, 08:04 PM

202 posts, read 763,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
you're joking.

hardly. All the kids in B-town are rich and privileged, and for the most part transient, thus why Bloomington's music scene has always been fairly melodic and no real message to any of it. The kids in Fort Wayne, for the most part, are stuck where they are and more intelligent about it, they have decided to make it a good scene for not just each other, but the whole country. The Brass Rail in Fort Wayne is now a sought after venue by national acts, sometimes referred to as CBGBs of the midwest.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:12 AM

Your generalizaton of IU students is way off the mark .... oh yea, there aren't any rich and priviledged in Fort Wayne are there? Come on man!

And CBGB's went vegas in case you hadn't heard ... and Hilly Cristal is dead. I'm sorry, but using a CBGB reference to compare it to a fort wayne bar ... how bourgeois and unoriginal. I even read the story from the Reader where they are claiming as such. Please.

There are plenty of clubs in Bloomington that attract national acts ... saw a few of them while a student there.

One rock club in Fort Wayne doesn't make it more punk rock than Bloomington. Bloomington, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana