Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 02:50 AM

6 posts, read 24,880 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband and I will be moving from Hawaii to Evansville on November 24th. He is in the Army and will be working at Ameriqual Packaging. We have never been to Evansville and know nothing about the area. We are hoping to find a house to rent that is close to his work. I have browsed the internet numerous times for listings, but I have found very little. I ran across tons of apartment rentals, but we do not want to live in an apartment. I am not sure what area Ameriqual Packaging is located in nor what housing areas are close to it. Also, I need some information about jobs in Evansville. I have noticed that there are several listings for banks, is it easy to get on with a local bank? Is the pay descent? I could go on and on with my questions, but I will stop this here. If anyone could assist me to make this move somewhat easier, I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally, I would love to chat with someone online or through email who would be willing to help answer some of my questions. Thanks so much!

Meagan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:52 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,117,288 times
It has been awhile since I've been through, as we moved away 5 years ago, but I grew up not far from Evansville, so I can try to help.....

If I remember correctly, Ameriqual is actually north of Evansville itself, sitting on the West side of Hwy 41. There really isn't much in the way of home rentals (nor apartments for that matter) up that way. I think they were building a subdivision a little farther north up near I-64, but from what I remember, I'd say it was pretty high-dollar and probably owner occupied for the most part. You might also look at Haubstadt which would be a little more north up 41, but that might have some rentals.

Old National is the biggest bank in the Evansville area (at least it was). Getting a job there will depend on your skills and what you are qualified for. Have you got banking experience (teller, customer service, loan origination?) An entry level job won't pay much. (Salaries in the S. IN/S IL/WKY area are historically lower paying than what you are used to in Hawaii). Of course, cost of living is lower as well.

Hopefully someone still close to Evansville will chime in here as well, but I hope that helped a little.......

Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Monahan View Post
Hi all! My husband and I will be moving from Hawaii to Evansville on November 24th. He is in the Army and will be working at Ameriqual Packaging. We have never been to Evansville and know nothing about the area. We are hoping to find a house to rent that is close to his work. I have browsed the internet numerous times for listings, but I have found very little. I ran across tons of apartment rentals, but we do not want to live in an apartment. I am not sure what area Ameriqual Packaging is located in nor what housing areas are close to it. Also, I need some information about jobs in Evansville. I have noticed that there are several listings for banks, is it easy to get on with a local bank? Is the pay descent? I could go on and on with my questions, but I will stop this here. If anyone could assist me to make this move somewhat easier, I would greatly appreciate it. Ideally, I would love to chat with someone online or through email who would be willing to help answer some of my questions. Thanks so much!

Meagan

Ameriquall is in fact on 41 north of the city's core, close to the airport. Without actually driving around some of the neighborhoods around there, you are probably not likely to find listings on the internet for rental property. It is mostly ownership, like aus10 said. Old National and Fifth Third Bank are probably the biggest banks; although there are several other banks you could try in addition:

Integra Bank, Bank of Evansville, Evansville Teachers CU, Diamond Valley CU, Heritage Federal CU, etc. (I am probably forgetting a big one)

As you have probably discovered already, there are not a lot of options for searching rental houses in Evansville on the internet. Fetter Properties has a website, Fetter Rental Properties , but they get mixed reviews. The best thing to do is visit Evansville and drive around. The Evansville Courier and Press print classified ads have listings; you might try their website http://realestate.courierpress.com/rentals/ .

Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 PM

205 posts, read 585,527 times
Ameriqual is somewhat north of town, but the loop of US 41 and I-164 makes for easy access, albeit a bit out of the way. They've become one of the buisiest employers in town...I believe they package MRE's for the military.

Evansville gets trashed on this board periodically, often by people who haven't been here in a while. Yeah, it used to be desperate here. Imagine Detroit several years ago (decaying city center, abandoned houses, empty downtown) on a smaller scale, of course. But over the past decade, we've gone a long way towards removing our community head from the sand.

The area is getting more and more service-oriented industry to replace the factories which closed in the 70s and 80s. The city has commited to establishing citywide wi-fi availability. Evansville was the first city in Indiana to get its wi-fi net up and running (already much of the entire downtown is a wi-fi zone) and is attracting new companies such as American general (finance), Vectren (gas/electric services) and a new call center for AT&T. Guess I should put Ameriqual in there, too. Our zoo (largest in the state) is undergoing a renovation and should be finished soon.

With the location of hubby's job, you might want to look at southern Gibson County (Ft. Branch, Haubstadt, Owensville) Hard to find rentals, though, but it may be worth checking into.

As to Evansville itself, there may be a bit of culture shock...just preparing you. We're at the northern tip of the Bible Belt, and the attitude is as much southern as typical midwestern. If you don't mind a lot of "Y'all aint from around here are you?" kind of questions, it should be fine. (yes, a lot of us here say "Y'all")

The big divide here is East/West. West side is more extended-family oriented, working class. It's not unusual to find grandma and grampa living right near the kids and grandkids. Wal Mart is the biggest shopping area on the West side, no big centers and only a few strip malls. And many on the west side are envious of the commercial growth the east has seen. I know some older West siders who refuse to go east of highway 41 except for a funeral or a ball game.

Because the East side is flat, it is easier to develop. The East side has grown quickly since WWII. The mall and shopping centers are mostly east, and East siders, as a rule, are more affulent, less likely to be natives, and less likely to share a cup of coffee on their neighbor's back porch. Not that East siders are less friendly, but the West side life style seems more quaint in those areas where the families go back a few generations.

These are wide stereotypes, and of course there are exceptions. There are shoddy areas east of 41, and there are some magnificent homes on the west side.

We have major road contruction all over town, so ask any potential landlords about road conditions near the house.

One great resource is the website of the Vanderburgh County Clerk. Lots of info, Vanderburgh County : Home (County)

A couple of others
Welcome to the Evansville Newcomers' website

This is a map showing where the convicted child molesters live, Public Access Client

And this is an artice from the paper showing the city through the eyes of outsiders
University of Evansville : School of Business Administration (http://business.evansville.edu/news/2006/052106_rawski.asp - broken link)

Good luck and welcome to town!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:18 AM

11,008 posts, read 17,377,801 times
Saw a story on CNN Tuesday about grocery prices in Hawaii. You sure won't have to pay $5.50 for a loaf of bread in Evansville!

Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,573,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Saw a story on CNN Tuesday about grocery prices in Hawaii. You sure won't have to pay $5.50 for a loaf of bread in Evansville!
Day-um!!! I'd start baking my own!

Old 07-05-2008, 03:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,431 times
Quote:

Meagan
There are 2 Ameriqual factories in Evansville. Ameriqual Foods is on the far north side of town. If your husband has a job at Ameriqual Packaging this factory is located more in the center of town on Morgan Ave. Near
1st Ave. Houses around this area is not as desirable than other parts of town. You can look farther north on 1st Ave. Like the Darmstadt area and be within 15-20 min. of either one of the factories. Also west of Evansville the drive would be about 15min to the packaging plant and about 30 min to the Ameriqual Foods plant on Hwy 41. Far north and far west of Evansville would nice areas to live in. The east side is nice but it would be a farther drive.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 24,880 times
Hi ErickP! Thanks so much for your helpful reply! I have had such a hard time getting my questions answered...Maybe I just have too many! You are correct, Ameriqual does package MRE's for the military. My husband is a food inspector for the Army...So that is why we are going there...We are both really excited to get back to the mainland. Neither of us have ever been to Evansville, or any part of Indiana, but it can't be as bad as Hawaii..

My husband and I are both from the same town, a very small town, in Virginia. I am sure no one has heard of it, but it is called Clintwood. The main strip in town is only one mile long. There is a total of 4 traffic lights and even more churches. We are both southerners who use the word "Y'all" frequently..With all you have said, I think we will fit right in! haha

I have pretty much given up on finding a home to rent on the net..I have found a few places, but not many...I guess we will resort to purchasing newspapers and searching for rentals once we get there. My only concern is that we will be arriving in Evansville on the 25th or 26th of November..Just a day or two before Thanksgiving..I think this might make it a little difficult to find a place right away...

Again, thanks so much for all of the helpful information that you gave me!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 AM

89 posts, read 570,071 times
Mrs. Monahan, Here is a link to the the Evansville newspaper. Perhaps, it could be helpful.
courierpress.com : Evansville, Indiana News, Business, Homes, Jobs, Cars & Information

Old 07-14-2008, 07:45 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,420,301 times
Quote:
Hi ErickP! Thanks so much for your helpful reply! I have had such a hard time getting my questions answered...Maybe I just have too many! You are correct, Ameriqual does package MRE's for the military. My husband is a food inspector for the Army...So that is why we are going there...We are both really excited to get back to the mainland. Neither of us have ever been to Evansville, or any part of Indiana, but it can't be as bad as Hawaii..

My husband and I are both from the same town, a very small town, in Virginia. I am sure no one has heard of it, but it is called Clintwood. The main strip in town is only one mile long. There is a total of 4 traffic lights and even more churches. We are both southerners who use the word "Y'all" frequently..With all you have said, I think we will fit right in! haha

I have pretty much given up on finding a home to rent on the net..I have found a few places, but not many...I guess we will resort to purchasing newspapers and searching for rentals once we get there. My only concern is that we will be arriving in Evansville on the 25th or 26th of November..Just a day or two before Thanksgiving..I think this might make it a little difficult to find a place right away...

Again, thanks so much for all of the helpful information that you gave me!
Would that be the Clintwood where Ralph Stanley spent some time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana