Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:47 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,549 times

Advertisements

paptofour
that coyote in the picture looks more like a wolf to me. the coyotes I have spotted around Lafayette were darker in color and one had a blackish face...very dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 05:34 PM

2 posts, read 21,819 times
Default coyotes packs

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/urbcoyot.htm

there are anywhere from several hundred to a couple thousand coyotes IN chicago alone....

and they are traveling in packs more than rural coyotes.....

Old 04-04-2007, 09:34 AM

14 posts, read 111,758 times
I grew up on a huge farm in southern indiana and I came across coyotes A LOT growing up and still to this day. I see them running in packs even more often than alone. I still see them running around alone during the day, but at night they are in packs. There is a busted up old school house on our property that had around 40 coyotes living it at one time, literally 40, thats no exaggeration. As for as wolves in Indiana, I know of a few different friends who have had full blooded wolves that ended up breeding with Huskies and this is a very bad idea, even the puppies had that unpredictable, undomesticated look in their eye and definitely had no desire to be friends. I'm sure that would eventually be bred out of them, but if there started to be packs of these running around that were not peoples pets, someone would eventually be hurt.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 21,819 times
Default cool

yeah thats very interesting, i dont know about other states, but ohio is overflowing with deer, it is no wonder to me that animals such as the coyote are becoming more common

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
there are anywhere from several hundred to a couple thousand coyotes IN chicago alone....

and they are traveling in packs more than rural coyotes.....
And hangin' out in sandwich shops apparently.....

http://tinyurl.com/258zmt (broken link)

Old 04-05-2007, 02:58 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
What's amazing about the Quizno's wolf is that he showed up at a store at Adams and Madison ... not far from the Sears Tower ...

Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 27,466 times
Default Definately a Coyote

I have seen many coyotes in my travels across the State of Indiana. The last Wolf was slaughtered east of the Mississippi River in the late 1800's. My home town of Wolf Lake, Indiana who's mascot was a wolf, actually had a coyote stuffed for display in their trophy case for years and simply called it a wolf. In fact I still remember in 1955-ish a group of men in rural Noble County, Indiana organizing a "Hunt" to kill a wolf (actually the now stuffed coyote in the trophy case).

There is a Wolf Park in Battle Ground that everyone should visit to observe wolves in a natural setting. They actually allow the wolves to roam among the buffalo for a few hours each day.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 24,345 times
I live in rural Tippecanoe county (near Lafayette), and we regularly hear coyotes at night, and see them occasionally. They aren't that rare in rural areas around here, but they do their best to avoid people. They look a lot like dogs, but skinnier and not so well kept. I doubt you have seen wolves, but wouldn't be surprised if you saw coyotes.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:02 PM

23 posts, read 123,396 times
My friend's dog was just mauled by what they think was coyotes last month, and they live in Lebanon a few miles from I-65. The dog made it thanks to a local vet who did emergency after-hours surgery. That's country livin' I guess.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 PM

667 posts, read 2,887,879 times
Heck, coyotes can not be ALL that rare. I saw one just last week around Fort Ben in Indy at around 2am. Surprised the hell out of me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana