Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 05:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,444 times

Advertisements

Thanks for very useful information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 PM

18 posts, read 11,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyoh View Post
Well, have things improved in Marion at this point? I was hoping in the not-too-distant future to possibly move to Marion from Dayton, OH, as a retiree, to be closer to a church I want to attend in Swayzee. Not wealthy or looking for much in the way of nightlife anyway, happy with an Aldi's and some thrift stores. Dayton is on the depressed side, so I'm familiar with all that entails and feel safe enough; I own a home in the east end that I hopefully won't have a hard time selling but who knows. I appreciate any and all comments and thank you guys much.
All I can say is that Marion has been what it has been for too long. Plenty of vacant factories, an overall dismal school system, and people continuing to move out of the city. There are some new businesses coming in, like Texas Roadhouse and Holiday Inn, and Indiana Wesleyan University is growing as they are building a football field.

I'm a recent college graduate who is a native of Marion, and I'm just ready to bust out of the city. A lot of people are always grumpy or unhappy, and I refuse to live in a community with that kind of attitude. Right now my sights are for somewhere in the Rockies, with promising job opportunities and more scenery.

So basically Marion is trying to recover, but just barely.

Old 09-20-2017, 05:38 PM

4,481 posts, read 4,533,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothesmartthing View Post
All I can say is that Marion has been what it has been for too long. Plenty of vacant factories, an overall dismal school system, and people continuing to move out of the city. There are some new businesses coming in, like Texas Roadhouse and Holiday Inn, and Indiana Wesleyan University is growing as they are building a football field.

I'm a recent college graduate who is a native of Marion, and I'm just ready to bust out of the city. A lot of people are always grumpy or unhappy, and I refuse to live in a community with that kind of attitude. Right now my sights are for somewhere in the Rockies, with promising job opportunities and more scenery.

So basically Marion is trying to recover, but just barely.
Marion, Anderson, Richmond, and New Castle is what Muncie would be without Ball State. Before I moved to Texas, I tried several times to get a job at the RCA in Marion. They never did call and the way it turned out, I'm glad they didn't because if they had called, I never would have been able to retire at the still young age of 61.

Same thing in Muncie. Every school I went to and every place I worked at in Muncie no longer exists. It's almost like I never lived there. I read in the Muncie Star on line edition the old Warner Gear building is currently in the process of being tore down. Warner Gear was the biggest factory in Muncie in the 50's, 60's and 70's. It was half a mile long and about 5000 workers in its hey day. More proof it's the end of a historical era. The industrial age is over. I don't think there are any factories left in Muncie, no more than a few, if any at all. I imagine Marion is the same way. Anderson and Richmond, too. I suppose it's too soon to tell which direction the former Rust Belt cities of East Central Indiana will take into the future.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:46 PM

2 posts, read 1,706 times
Thanks for very useful information

Old 09-22-2017, 08:18 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,051,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Marion, Anderson, Richmond, and New Castle is what Muncie would be without Ball State. The industrial age is over. I don't think there are any factories left in Muncie, no more than a few, if any at all. I imagine Marion is the same way. Anderson and Richmond, too. I suppose it's too soon to tell which direction the former Rust Belt cities of East Central Indiana will take into the future.
The future doesn't look too good. I'm actually thinking many of these cities and towns will continue to suffer. Large urban areas are now where most people want to live. One doesn't need to live in New Castle or Richmond when they can easily live in smaller cities like Noblesville, Danville, or Franklin and get access to the employment of a major metro area. I don't think they will collapse, but the drug epidemic and welfare are become huge problems in these cities and the smaller towns that surround them.

I'm guessing what will likely happen is that almost all future job centers will be put in major metro areas with some along the interstates between metro areas. I think Shelbyville and Greensburg get lucky with factory/industrial work because they are located between two very close metro areas. Same for Columbus and Seymour along I-65. The problem with being along I-70 is that there is a lot more distance between Indy and Columbus, OH/St. Louis. Richmond also has to fight for business against Ohio incentives plus the population that the Dayton area offers.

Also young people want to be where they can meet others. Social media is amazing at helping more moderate to less social people connect with others. Numbers matter and the more people in an area the more likely one is to find a friend group and a significant other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana