Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:44 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

I'm not a racing fan at all. But the other night I watched Dirty Driving...a documentary about the race track in Anderson, Indiana. The footage made Anderson look like a slum filled with crude rednecks. Most of the people had "summer teeth" and mullets. Quite the rough crowd...

Is it the norm for Anderson? Or did HBO edit to make Anderson look bad?

HBO: Dirty Driving: Thundercars of Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 10,465 times
I just watched the show myself, and got the same impression, by the looks of the way HBO filmed it, the whole town is shutting down. I highly doubt it with it being so close to Indianapolis and a high dollar horse track there as well???

Old 12-02-2008, 06:58 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Anderson is a dying town. I haven't watched the documentary and HBO is probably making it look worse than it truly is, but Anderson has been going down the tubes for a few years now.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
One of my co-wrokers lives in Anderson. She commutes 35 miles from Anderson to Indy because the only work she can find in Anderson is an $8/hour call center job.

Anderson does have a rad giant bunny by the freeway though!

Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Anderson is dying, but leave it to HBO to find the redneckiest people they could find to represent the town. And, honestly, I don't think it was that good of a documentary. They did a poor job of connecting the city's problems to the individuals in the documentary and how that relates to their efforts on the race track. It was nothing more than satirizing blue-collar, working class people.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:24 PM

19 posts, read 61,794 times
Yeh, that was a hack job by HBO. "Rednecks" are everywhere, but the media and entertainment will only push the stereotype of their existence in this country's midwest and south (and West Virginia).

But, yeh again, Anderson "is" a shell of its former self. My first job out of college was in banking in Anderson (circa 1984), and I was there for about three years. The city was at the time holding on to its downtown and its jobs, but even my 23 year-old self could see trouble ahead. Old money ruled, but that can't keep a city afloat.

It's sister city Muncie seems to be doing much better. (I say "seems" since I don't have any data to prove either way.) My folks still live there, and I trekked up for Thanksgiving weekend. Like many towns of its ilk, downtown in Muncie is dead, but north/northwest parts seem to be bustling with people and with commerce (not just shopping).

I'm thinking that the difference between the two cities' fortunes post-rust is Ball State -- both for the steady hand its contributes in any economy and the level of people and jobs it attracts and retains.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:47 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJack View Post
Yeh, that was a hack job by HBO. "Rednecks" are everywhere, but the media and entertainment will only push the stereotype of their existence in this country's midwest and south (and West Virginia).

But, yeh again, Anderson "is" a shell of its former self. My first job out of college was in banking in Anderson (circa 1984), and I was there for about three years. The city was at the time holding on to its downtown and its jobs, but even my 23 year-old self could see trouble ahead. Old money ruled, but that can't keep a city afloat.

It's sister city Muncie seems to be doing much better. (I say "seems" since I don't have any data to prove either way.) My folks still live there, and I trekked up for Thanksgiving weekend. Like many towns of its ilk, downtown in Muncie is dead, but north/northwest parts seem to be bustling with people and with commerce (not just shopping).

I'm thinking that the difference between the two cities' fortunes post-rust is Ball State -- both for the steady hand its contributes in any economy and the level of people and jobs it attracts and retains.
A good sized college can keep more of their retail and restaurants in business during hard times.

I had the feeling the documentary was harsh on Anderson. Are there any new retail/housing developments in Anderson.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 PM

24 posts, read 131,859 times
I just moved from that area. They are pretty much right on the mark about Anderson. Since GM has pulled out most everything else has too.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
For those interested; JMV of WNDE is going to be on Zaban's FSR morning show tommorow morning at 8:15 to discuss the documentary.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:51 PM

1 posts, read 9,508 times
Default Anderson Speedway

I watched the HBO episode about Thunder cars,the speedway and the people that participate in same. There seems to be some very non-selective inbreeding happening in Anderson. I must ensure that I do not stop for any reason in Anderson. Can you imagine all those folks as greeters at Wal-Mart? I looked up the Speedway on the internet and did not find a number of the competitors in the documentary listed in the point standings. Perhaps HBO was making a redneck satire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana