Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 61,057 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband might get a job offer from Columbus soon. There are also possibilities for myself to work at Indiana University in Bloomington. We really like what we are reading about Bloomington and we are thinking about buying a house there and my husband commute from Bloomington to Columbus. However, his one hour driving between the two towns makes me concern.
What do you think about the driving b/w the two towns?—specifically in winters. Is 46 safe? Do you think it’s rational to live in Bloomington and drive to Columbus? Is there any other lively town –like Bloomington—that give us fair driving to both Columbus and Bloomington? We appreciate any advice and/or comments on that. Thank you and I look forward to your replies!
Peace,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Nashville, IN is in between the two on 46. It is a nice little town, many shops and restaurants in the touristy downtown area.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM

Thanks DC 38. Do you know where I can find good pics of Nashville--i.e. downtown, cultural spots, etc.? Also, what do you think about the driving in 46? Thank you very much for your prompt reply

Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Nashville is indeed between the two.

I have several artist friends who live there and like it....but it's ~not~ Bloomington. It's mainly tourist-oriented. Few services; one grocery store (last time I checked) a few gas stations, some fast food and a CVS. Mostly gift-y boutiques and restaurants. The town is filled with tourists and motorcycles on the weekends (great fun curvy country roads in that area). If you are outdoorsy you would be close to the largest state park: Brown County.

46 is ok, well maintained, but it is a 2-lane road. The stretch from Nashville to Columbus is a fairly straight shot, with a few rolling hills. The part from Nashville to Bloomington is more hilly and twisty (something to consider if you don't like winter driving).

Quote:
Do you think it’s rational to live in Bloomington and drive to Columbus?
That is something only you can decide. I know several couples who do the opposite: live just west of Columbus and one partner commutes to work/school in Bloomington.

As long as your husband likes to drive, is patient, and gas stays under $2 per gallon it would be do-able.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:42 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowire77 View Post
Thanks DC 38. Do you know where I can find good pics of Nashville--i.e. downtown, cultural spots, etc.? Also, what do you think about the driving in 46? Thank you very much for your prompt reply
I have never made the drive all the way through from B-ton to Columbus; only from either one into Nashville. Between Nashville and Columbus it is pretty much your run of the mill rural two lane highway. There is one very small town, Gnaw Bone, between the two. It has been safe enough any time I have driven on it. I have never driven on 46 during a snow storm though, so I can not really comment on that.

Nashville is no Bloomington, but downtown Nashville, IN is pretty lively for a town its size. There are several local shops and restaurants and attracts a lot of tourism to the downtown area; helped by the presence of Brown County State Park nearby.

This is the Brown County CVB that has some of the entertainment info on Nashville:

Brown County Indiana CVB

Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Thanks plaidmom. your points are very helpful. I am still search the google map and, here, I got more questions: in my searches I found another place: Greenwood! The drive from Greenwood to Columbus is all highway (65), which is very nice. However, I am not sure about the road between Greenwood to Bloomington. It looks like a state highway, am i right on that? In fact, my job at IU probably wont be a fulltime position for a while and that's give me less commuting during the week. Do you have any thoughts/suggestions on living in Greenwood and commuting to Columbus and Bloomington? thanks!

Old 12-08-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
I have never made the drive all the way through from B-ton to Columbus; only from either one into Nashville. Between Nashville and Columbus it is pretty much your run of the mill rural two lane highway. There is one very small town, Gnaw Bone, between the two. It has been safe enough any time I have driven on it. I have never driven on 46 during a snow storm though, so I can not really comment on that.

Nashville is no Bloomington, but downtown Nashville, IN is pretty lively for a town its size. There are several local shops and restaurants and attracts a lot of tourism to the downtown area; helped by the presence of Brown County State Park nearby.

This is the Brown County CVB that has some of the entertainment info on Nashville:

Brown County Indiana CVB
thanks for the info! i'll check the link.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 AM

32 posts, read 187,893 times
I am not sure why you would want to consider Greenwood. Both of you then would have an hour plus drive each day. Just seems like you are doubling your expenses and time on the road. There isn't really any good way to get from Greenwood to Bloomington.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:31 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowire77 View Post
Thanks plaidmom. your points are very helpful. I am still search the google map and, here, I got more questions: in my searches I found another place: Greenwood! The drive from Greenwood to Columbus is all highway (65), which is very nice. However, I am not sure about the road between Greenwood to Bloomington. It looks like a state highway, am i right on that?
The drive from Columbus to Greenwood is all highway. I've never driven from Greenwood to Bloomington so I can't really comment.

I have driven from Columbus to Bloomington (and back) in all sorts of weather, but not on a daily basis. I've been "stuck" two times due to accidents (it ~is~ a two lane road) and only had one weather-related delay (was over in B-ton during a big snow storm and people were sliding all over the big hill just outside of Nashville. The county didn't get the salt-trucks out soon enough I guess.....).

Quote:
In fact, my job at IU probably wont be a fulltime position for a while and that's give me less commuting during the week. Do you have any thoughts/suggestions on living in Greenwood and commuting to Columbus and Bloomington? thanks!

Errrrr....then you have two people stuck in cars/traffic/commuting?
If this were my decision I would live in Columbus (for the full-time worker) and have the PT person commute. Just my .02 since you asked .

Old 12-08-2008, 11:33 AM

32 posts, read 187,893 times
I think it would depend on what you like to do in the evenings. If you typically stay at home, then Nashville might be alright for you. It is a very unique little town that you really just need to visit. If you want to shop and dine out during the week, I think Bloomington would be the better bet. I think there are some subdivisions and such along 46 between the two as well.

My situation, it would be Bloomington. I don't mind driving and the wife does. For us, a family with kids, Bloomington would be the most appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana