Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 16,863 times

Advertisements

There is about a 50% possibility that my company will be transferring me to work at their new location which is opening in Daleville, IN sometime after 1Q 2008.

If this happens, I'll be looking for a house but I'm not sure what the area is like. Ideally I'd like about 5-10 acres of land, a 2BR house, in a rural-ish area. My eventual plan is to raise a few chickens and goats on the property.

I'm willing to commute up to an hour to Daleville if that's what it takes. I'm looking at New Castle, it seems like there's some good rural property out there, but I'm not sure about the zoning laws out that way as far as owning livestock. It'd be a maximum of a dozen chickens and maybe 2-3 pygmy goats.

Anyway, what can y'all tell me about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 16,863 times
So nobody has anything to say, positive or negative, about this area?

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
There may not be anyone from the area on this board. Sorry. Considering that the area is very rural, you probably won't have any issues with what you are seeking. I love pygmy goats btw, those pot bellies!!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 22,905 times
Smile New Castle/ Henry County

As stated it is a very rural area with affordable property and as far as I am aware there is not a lot of restriction as farm as farm animals go. As long as they are cared for and not creating a nuisance, noxious odors and such. this is for areas outside city limits. Each municipality has different regulations regarding animals within their limits. Chickens and pygmy goats are generally considered pets in this area and not actually livestock.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,758 times
I live in Lapel, Indiana and I often go through Daleville when I'm going to Muncie.

It's a nice small town, but I don't know much about costs in that area or New Castle.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM

7 posts, read 25,329 times
Sounds like what I am looking for too, I need a rural area to keep my horses on

Old 10-25-2007, 09:04 AM

19 posts, read 61,802 times
MisterJay, I'm originally from the Delaware County area, and go back a few times a year to visit family. My thoughts ...

Daleville is pretty rural, but it -- along with many of the very small towns in Delaware, Madison and Randolph Counties -- has worked hard to make its downtown a restorative, well-kept shopping/walking zone.

That said, I would look toward a couple of slightly larger, nearby cities as candidates for your home.

Muncie ... my #1 choice if I were going to be working in Daleville -- and wanted to have a short commute. Ball State is a good university, and all the cultural stuff that go along with that are there. Moving the the "good" side of town -- North/Northwest -- would give you a 15-20 minute commute (you'd be going counter to rush hour traffic). This area has also got some very nice homes, educated neighbors, etc. Problem with this city is that the southern part of the city is depressed ... and depressing to be honest.

Yorktown ... a few minutes from Muncie, and might be my choice if I wanted to be in a smaller town (Anderson and Munice IIRC are around 60,000 each). A neat town/city.

Noblesville ... A+ for being within your commute limits AND close to Indianapolis. This is definitely an up-and-comer city/county, and the pickings are still good right now. By the time 2009 rolls up, housing might be getting ridiculous, but right now there are bargains.

Last edited by BamaJack; 10-25-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 11:48 PM

52 posts, read 191,936 times
New Castle used to be a nice town 30 years ago. It now suffers from a lack of job opportunities that afflicts many towns where manufacturing once boomed. There is also a prevalent drug problem. Shopping is limited pretty much to Walmart. On the upside, the rural area to the west and southwest is beautiful. Lots of rolling land in the Blue River Valley. I lived most of my childhood in New Castle, so it has a soft spot in my heart.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,394 times
New Castle is a nice little community. I seen someone say there is drug problem there, oh yeah; where isn't their a drug problem. The zoning laws here are reasonable and would probably meet your standards of approval. There is more than just wal-mart in New Castle I could actually run you down a real nice list of places to shop in New Castle, but there is no since in doing that. And if you needed to do some type of special shopping then there is Muncie 15 miles away, Indy 40 miles, Greenfield, 25 miles or even Richmond 25 miles from New Castle so there is anything almost you need within less than an hour away. There actually is a few cool things to check out in New Castle and is a friendly community. It is a great location to be close or not to far from the capital and other thriving communities. There recently has been more job opportunities available in the Henry County area.

Overall you would be making a good choice to bring your chickens and piggly-wiggly's to the New Castle area. It is a nice a community and am sure you would feel right at home once settled in. Best of luck my friend!

Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 AM

334 posts, read 1,282,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLead View Post
New Castle used to be a nice town 30 years ago. It now suffers from a lack of job opportunities that afflicts many towns where manufacturing once boomed. There is also a prevalent drug problem. Shopping is limited pretty much to Walmart. On the upside, the rural area to the west and southwest is beautiful. Lots of rolling land in the Blue River Valley. I lived most of my childhood in New Castle, so it has a soft spot in my heart.
My better half is New Castle born and raised. Nice little town. Housing is very "Mayberry-ish" to me, although I can get lost there pretty quick. Since Mom died, the only family still there is my sister in law and family, however I do still miss visiting there. If it weren't such a long drive we'd get up there more often. Top-Hat pizza keeps calling our name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana