Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 10,182 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are planning on relocating from Columbus, OH to the Evansville area in August. We are beginning our search for a townhouse or duplex or house to rent and would like to know if there are any good resources besides Craigslist and the Evansville Courier Press. Also, we're a little worried about the job market in the vicinity. Although I've snagged a position at USI, my fiance is scrambling for a legal position (he just graduated from OSU). Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 PM

512 posts, read 861,504 times
Hi, Lostpenny. I actually do have someone you can contact, who works for the same real estate company I do. but I think it might be too close to soliciting to display that info in this post. Not sure, but I don't want to do the wrong thing. So, you are more than welcome to send me a private/direct message and I'd be happy to steer you to someone who could help.

Best of luck!!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:54 AM

15 posts, read 61,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostpenny View Post
My fiance and I are planning on relocating from Columbus, OH to the Evansville area in August. We are beginning our search for a townhouse or duplex or house to rent and would like to know if there are any good resources besides Craigslist and the Evansville Courier Press. Also, we're a little worried about the job market in the vicinity. Although I've snagged a position at USI, my fiance is scrambling for a legal position (he just graduated from OSU). Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Hi Lostpenny:

There are quite a few nice apartment complexes on the West side (which is the area that USI is located in). Copper Creek Apartments and Mission Viejo are both located on the West side and close to USI (Evansville Indiana Premier Apartments). They have a variety of floor plans to choose from.

As far as renting a house goes, the only method I can think of is the Courier & Press (Evansville Courier & Press: Local Evansville, Indiana News Delivered Throughout the Day.). Often people I hear renting heard by word of mouth, which I know unfortunately isn't much help to you. You may contact someone at the University and ask them to keep an eye out for any flyers they see regarding a home for rent. I just searched under the Courier & Press rental sections by zip code and 47712 came up with quite a few. USI's zip is 47712.

What type of legal position is your fiance looking for? I actually have a friend who is a legal assistant at two separate firms in Evansville and in August she is leaving the area for Columbus, OH (ironically) to attend Law School. I can get the names of the firms from her and pass them on to you if that is something he might like. One is located in Downtown Evansville and the other is located on the East side of Evansville.

If you have any other questions, I'll try to help as much as I can. Good luck!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 AM

205 posts, read 587,510 times
Hi and welcome!

As he earlier poster said, you might want to check through a real estate agency. Rentals are sometimes difficult to find. Courier & Press really has about the best listings. The University should be a good resource, too, as so many of the employees and students are local. This is one of those towns where everyone knows someone in your family, or one of your neighbors, or someone at your church, etc., so networking is often the best way to find anything.

This link may be of use. If you have a specific address, you can see a photo of the property through the Assessor's web site: Vanderburgh County Assessor

If you guys find a church here, you'll have a group of people who may know of rentals. Lots of the churches have festivals and cookouts throughout the summer and fall. It's much more of a social atmosphere than a religious one, so even if you're not churchgoers, you shouldn't feel uncomfortable stopping by for food and games. It's a great way to get to know people, and ask about possible housing and job options. Evansville people are friendly and like to help people who are new to the area.

Best of luck!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,139 times
hi, i have an opportunity to be relocated here, would love any info, you can give me, concerning renting a place, and good locations! also just info about the city!

Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 44,515 times
If your going to be working at USI, you should consider living on the West Side or in Posey County. If you choose to live on the East Side you'll have to commute across town on the Lloyd "Expressway", which is an expressway in name only and constantly under construction.

I would suggest you contact the Human Resources department at USI for any information they may have to help you.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,574,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMac View Post
If your going to be working at USI, you should consider living on the West Side or in Posey County. If you choose to live on the East Side you'll have to commute across town on the Lloyd "Expressway", which is an expressway in name only and constantly under construction.

I would suggest you contact the Human Resources department at USI for any information they may have to help you.
It seems like the Lloyd is a freakin zoo.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
For a job in Gibson County (near Oakland City) is it reasonable to live in Evansville? Is there a northern suburb of Evansville that would be a good choice?

(I prefer city/suburban living over small towns, but, I am also thinking about how bad the winter commute would be if I had to drive an hour in ice/snow every morning.) Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana