Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:03 AM

18 posts, read 61,587 times

Advertisements

There is a strong possibility that we might be moving to Indiana. We would be working in Greensburg, but I don't think that we want to live in a town that small. I've read a bit on Shelbyville but we might be happier closer to Indy. Can anyone tell me if there are any good eastern/Southeastern suburbs of Indy and how long it would really take to commute to Greensburg?

Also what are your thoughts on Shelbyville? Is it really "small town" or do they have shopping/restaurants and other city conveniences?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Shelbyville is as small town as small town gets. It's on the verge of booming with the Honda plant coming in. The people we purchased our home from 4 years ago were orginally from Shelbyville and moved back there ...

Try Greenwood. Close to Indy with easy access to I-74. It may be a bit of a hike, but the Center Grove school system is very very very good. Also, try Columbus to the southwest.

Best of luck! We are now in the midst of choosing between Greenwood and Columbus ourselves!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the info. Do you know how long it will take to drive from Greenwood to Greensburg? How about from Columbus to Greensburg?

I am really hoping that things work out so that we can move up there. We are currently living in the South but are originally from Ohio. Indiana will put us closer to family and back into Yankee territory where we are more comfortable (smile)

Old 04-17-2007, 07:46 AM

OK Mapquest says Greenwood is almost an hour from Greensburg. If that is correct, that will be too far. It says Columbus is 47 minutes....my DH is the one who will be making the drive so it will probably be Shelbyville. I checked the chamber of commerce and there will be enough to keep me happy and with Indy not too far, we can go in when we need to. Small down down where we are is defined as "you are lucky if you have a Wal-mart". If you want to eat at someplace other than fast food or BBQ, you need to drive about 45 minutes minimum.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:19 AM

22 posts, read 117,090 times
Hi, before I chime in, I have one question. Are the schools a concern for you?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM

Arossi is right ... are schools of concern? You can't go by Mapquest's times. They are ballpark at best. If I followed that, it should take me 90 minutes to get from my house to our new house and guess what ... I drove it this morning in an hour and 10 minutes ... driving the speed limit!

Here's a small town with excellent excellent schools, New Palestine. According to Google Maps, it's 51 minutes to Greensburg ... that may be more palatable and it's even closer to Indianapolis.

Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 PM

Here's information from the Indiana Dept. of ed's website for all schools in Shelby County:

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/s3.cfm?county=73

and New Palestine:

http://mustang.doe.state.in.us/SEARCH/s3.cfm

Old 04-17-2007, 02:48 PM

No, we don't have any children in school so schools are not a big deal. However, We just had a problem selling our current house because it was not in a good school district. So for resale, I guess we would not want to be in the crappiest system in the state.....Thanks for the other resources too. Hopefully if this all works out, we'll get a week or so trip up there to check out the various areas and to make the drives.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 PM

I'd go with New Palestine. Seriously.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:21 AM

10 posts, read 60,937 times
It takes me one hour to drive from Greenwood, near the mall, to Greensburg's center of town. I grew up in Greenwood, schools are great here, but that would be quite a drive. Columbus is great, has everything a big city has and is only about a 30 minutes or less drive to Greensburg. Indy is straight up hwy 74 from Greensburg, so you could visit the city easily. Keep in mind, crime in Indy is growing rapidly. What interests do you have outside of work? Sports is the big thing here, doesn't matter what age or level you are. I have friends in Greensburg, so please feel free to ask anything, I will help all I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana