Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 16,106 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Madison on the Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 25,012 times
We are looking for a small town in Southern Indiana. Would like at least two acres (my husband restores antique vehicles.) Not near a busy highway and with grocery stores and gas stations.
Frogge

Old 10-24-2007, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,625 times
Nestled in the foothills of southern Indiana, you will find your Norman Rockwell, Currier an Ives, beautiful little town stuck in the past. Salem, Indiana has a population of around 5,000. A beautiful town square of buildings from late 1800's surround the huge limestone courthouse and shadey lawn in the center. The Courthouse is huge and reminds you of a disney fairytale type castle. Around the square there are several small businesses in including the Apothecary, yes complete with a still operating old drugstore soda fountain. The town contains many picturesque churches whos bells chime throughout the little town every Sunday morning. The Butchershop closed but we still have a hometown bakery shop with homade treats like no other. Also our little Dinner Bell Diner serves up homade meals that Grandma would approve of. So much can be said about this antique jewel set amongst the green hills but I will end in saying, Come stay in one of the lovely B&B's and experience Salem for yourself.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:00 PM

102 posts, read 275,253 times
I must speak up for Central Indiana and mention Greenfield (home of James Whitcomb Riley) and Pendleton, on Fall Creek. Both are pretty towns with lots of history. Close enough to Indianapolis for the nightlife, but quiet towns. I am partial to Pendleton and love the downtown antique shops and brick streets.
Good luck.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,456 times
I think the countryside is kind of nice around New Castle, but It seems a bit dirty and pretty clannish and drug/alcohol abuse is astounding.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:37 PM

272 posts, read 784,378 times
Looking to move to Southern Indiana from the S.F. Bay Area sometime next year approximately. Any advice on good places to consider moving to? Bloomington area, Crane, Jasper and Salem have been some places I've been looking at. Any other suggestions. I'm in the service so my work is where ever I get sent, but I need a supportive community to come home to.....something sorely and sadly lacking in my "home" state.....
Thanks.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:30 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Come check out my newly adopted hometown of Columbus. I see many folks from Camp Atterbury all over town.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM

26,405 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I will recommend Valparaiso again! It is a great blend of small city, suburbia, with rural character in some areas. It is also not that far of a drive to the Chicagoland area. Valpo has about 29,000 residents and is not growing too fast in population.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:53 PM

11 posts, read 61,631 times
Default Indiana Towns

In my opinion, you would be very well off to stay away from Salem. Salem is pretty much being turned into a low wage slum full of drugs, drunks, and a lot of low mentality people. I don't mean to be snotty but if you want your kids and or grandkids to have a future, you would consider elsewhere in Indiana or another state. Personally, I would look into living in other Indiana locations such as Columbus, Franklin, Madison, Jasper, or elsewhere if living in Indiana is in your interest.

My observation is that Salem isn't the place for well meaning and intelligent people. The town makes a waste of the talent that they do have and most of the people with a decent future leave because local employers would rather hire minimum wage slaves instead of creating a decent local economy.

Also, Salem doesn't have the amenities you can find elsewhere in Southern Indiana such as in Sellersburg, Clarksville, Columbus, Franklin, Jasper or Madison. Salem is so pathetic that the town doesn't even have a Wal Mart and most people drive to Scottsburg or Clarksville to go to Wal Mart. 20 miles to Scottsburg and 30 to Clarksville. The closest local mall or decent national chain restaurants are 30 miles away in Clarksville.

Salem doesn't also have much in the way of decent paying jobs unless you want to work in a factory or some other bad environment. If you are a college graduate with some ambition this place isn't for you as they would rather hire those who are illiterate and full of themselves than someone with proven ability and competence.

In my opinion, as far as cities and towns in Southern Indiana go. I would rank them in this order.

1. Columbus (excellent schools and job opportunities)
2. Sellersburg/Clarksville (part of Louisville, KY Metro) (Good schools and a metro area nearby for good jobs)
3. Bloomington (IU and good schools, decent jobs)
4. Evansville (decent schools but some good jobs)
5. Jasper (good school system and decent jobs)
6. Madison (decent jobs but a lot of small town cronyism)
7. Seymour (high illegal Hispanic population)
8. Greensburg (Honda plant and proximity to Indy and Cincy)
9. Lawrenceburg (Very close to Cincinnati Metro)
10. Scottsburg (30 miles to Louisville)
11. North Vernon (Lack of jobs, decent schools)
12. Paoli (Great town for a small business, very clannish)
13. Bedford (Lack of Jobs, Lack of decent business, so so schools)
14. Salem (Lack of paying jobs, crummy schools, a good ole boy culture that would make you hold your nose, high poverty, low wages, low education levels, poor economic development priorities mostly focused on pleasing local low wage businesses)

Educationally, you're better off being in a college town such as Bloomington or closer to Cincy, Indy, or Louisville.

Job wise, you are better off going to one of the top ten on the list. Stay away from the smaller towns and lower on the list. Too many people holding back economic progress and bringing in businesses and companies.

Also, the bottom three cities on the list are known for having high amounts of substance abuse problems for a smaller community. Methamphetamines are a major problem here.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
7-Seymour[high illegal Hispanic population]
You gonna pick the crops?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana