Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 PM

287 posts, read 503,436 times

Advertisements

I have been contemplating moving back to the Midwest for quite some time.
I grew up in North Central Illinois, but have been living North of Denver, Colorado for the last five years. After much procrastinating, today I gave
notices to both my employer and landlord. For weeks I have been contemplating the various options for moving back to the Midwest, especially the cities in Missouri,
Iowa, and Indiana. I have no interest in returning to Illinois. I decided that
Indiana is the best fit for me. I like it's geography, I like its cities. Cost of
living is also a factor. I plan to fly to Indy in a couple of weeks and
spend some time there, and explore. I am a cornbelt kind of guy so I prefer to
stay North of the hill country. Currently, then, I am trying to learn all
I can about the four urban options in the Northern half of the state:
Indy, Lafayette, South Bend, or Fort Wayne. What I do for work is
irrelevant since my job skill is applicable in any urban area. Which area
do you like best? Obviously Indy is in a league of its own because of its
size, so how would you compare the other three similarly sized towns?
What are the charasteristics that define the areas? It seems that
Fort Wayne has a lot more trees and lakes than Lafayette, true?
What is South Bend like? I'm most
intersted in the terrian, the look and feel of the towns in question.
I would appreciate any insights you can share with me.
Pat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 01:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
I heard Branson Missouri was really nice if you liked alot of diversity there seems to be alot to do there

Old 04-18-2007, 01:33 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Another urban area is the region (NW Indiana) ... just a thought.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 7,566 times
Default moving to Indiana?

Lafayette is the home of Purdue University - so you have all the benefits of a college town. Their economic development folks area really getting their act together, and I think you'll see some great growth in the area.
Fort Wayne is great, too. A very progressive mayor, Verizon fiber optic service throughout, several solid colleges/universities, especially great for high-tech, entrepreneurial people. Close to lake country, too.
Northwest Indiana is great - especially around Valparaiso-Chesterton area or Elkhart-Goshen area. Valparaiso University...great economic development team there...close to lake country...one of my favorite areas of the state.
You might look at Muncie (home of Ball State University)...lots of growth coming there.
And don't forget to check out Bloomington, home of Indiana University. Pretty country...
Good luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 09:35 PM

3 posts, read 7,566 times
Default Follow-up on moving to Indiana?

Oops - didn't really answer all your questions. The terrain around Fort Wayne and Lafayette is pretty similar, although it's flatter around Fort Wayne. You have access to lakes in both areas. South Bend is flat and would be my last choice on the list you gave.
Indianapolis, of course, is the capital city. Lots of things to do. Mostly flat. Starting to get pretty congested. A couple of reservoirs (Morse and Geist) nearby - they allow motorboats. Eagle Creek Reservoir is for sailboats, pontoons or fishing boats only.
Hoosiers like their cars....and Lafayette is only an hour from Indy...Fort Wayne, two hours from Indy, and South Bend - three hours from Indy and about two hours from Chicago. Easy to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana